What's the real deal with containing smell

Schmecklehead

420 Member
I would like to start growing my own plants but I'm concerned about the odor. Grow box companies claim that their carbon filter will remove 99% of the odor. Does anyone know how accurate this claim is? I'm considering Grobo (one plant per box), or a BC Northern Lights Bloombox (9 plants per box). Does anyone use one of these boxes? How well does the box contain the odor... especially when flowering.

Thanks

with a good carbon filter and a fan, providing negative air pressure in a tent or other enclosed space, you can totally contain the smell. Cutting corners on the carbon filter will not work and to be sure, especially later in flower when the smell is amazingly strong, if you have not done this correctly the smell from one plant can easily overtake an entire apartment building. That smell has stopped more grows than anything else. This is why grow tents are so popular... it is possible to make this work, you just have to be prepared to spend some money.

Also you will have some noise coming from the fan, and possible from the air pump depending on the method in which you want to grow.

This is definitely a factor. And the only place you for sure don't want to cheap out. Get a quiet, reliable fan. Get an extremely reliable carbon filter. Bottom of the barrel will not serve you well in this aspect.

I also don't want to be "that guy", but heavily weigh the risk vs the reward. If your building is really, really unfriendly, it may be more wise to find a better location. As much as we all want to grow, there can be times it isn't the best option.

Now that aside, I agree with the above. You can build a better setup on your own. Question being, will it be better off in the long run? Grow tents can be difficult to disguise. Typically those AIO boxes are completely self-contained, and look like a piece of furniture. That can certainly have value to people. No argument there.

Best thing is research, research, and research. Weigh out all your options, and find what best fits you. If spending a little more on a box setup is what fits you best, so be it. If you go the tent route, that's perfectly fine as well.

Since you're renting, at least that's my assumption although some buildings are occupied by owners, but how would you handle your landlord coming into the premises? That tent may stick out like a sore thumb. Even when your gear is quiet, there is still a noise when right next to it. Kind of hard to hide.

As for those AIO boxes, I cannot speak to the level of noise from one. I guess you could always cut it off if it was an emergency, although same would go for the tent. You still have the appearance of the tent though, where the box would look like a semi-fancy wardrobe/cabinet, etc. Decorate around it and blend it in even more. Not quite as easy with a tent.

People in your situation do both all the time. Which is right for you is only something you can gather as much information as you can on, and then make the best decision you can with that information.

Welcome, and good luck! :thumb:

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated! I think the hardest part about making a decision in this case is not being able to see (smell) for myself in a showroom with a grow in progress. I've been smoking pot since I was 13 (I'm 60 now) and I have never found a way to mask it's pungent smell, so I somehow doubt that when I open the door to the box to harvest 9 plants that have produced big hairy, potent buds that smell like fruity skunk spunk that my bedroom door will stop the smell from seeping into my living area and through the front door into the hall. Believe me when I tell you... I am not rushing into this. I have even considered buying a house just so I can grow my own. Over the next 10 years I will save close to 100k if I grow my own!

Anyway... as far as tents go... that may be the route if I move and don't need to conceal anything... for now, though, a box is the best way for me to proceed... but... no doubt it is a risky endeavor for sure. And not one I will venture into unless I have a plan 'B' in place.

Thanks again!

Can anyone comment on ways to contain the smell when harvesting? That is to say... how to contain the smell that fills the room the box is in when harvesting and trimming. Emilya... are there door size carbon filters? lol

Can anyone comment on ways to contain the smell when harvesting? That is to say... how to contain the smell that fills the room the box is in when harvesting and trimming. Emilya... are there door size carbon filters? lol
lol, not that most of us would be able to afford. When I am doing an operation like that I close the door, open the tent wide on both sides and I turn the filter fan on high. Now instead of the just the tent, I am cleansing the entire room. I also have a second fan and a second 27" can filter that I can set in the middle of the room.... just a filter with a fan on top of it, mass cleansing the air in the room.

One option, which may or may not be practical, would be to get a cheap grow tent and put it around the cabinet when you go to harvest. Zip yourself inside, then open the box. You could also add a 2nd fan/carbon filter to that outside tent to be extra safe.

However, in the end, to a sensitive sniffer there may be a hint of that sweet, sticky weed.

Thanks Emilya and with that said I should probably focus my research more on air filtration. If I find a filtration system that actually eliminates the odor then I will not have to worry so much about the landlord finding out about me growing. Because, if there is no smell... there is nothing to complain about. And damn those sensitive sniffers....... just damn them... they should try smoking cannabis... it might help with their sensitivity!

BTW, I already thought about the tent around the box idea. It's definitely better than just the box alone.... still thinking about it.....

if you get a tent and filter fan you'd be set. but remember if you use an ac in that room to turn off the ac before opening the tent or the ac will vent out some of the smell.

I have a friend who buys a few bags of regular charcoal and pours it into a couple of big baskets, then places them in his grow room and trim room. His wife says it has made a big difference, she can’t smell it coming into the house anymore. They live 3 hours away, so I have not actually proved to my nose that it works.

Has anyone tried this? I will report back once I get myself a bag, AK47 starts smelling like crazy way before I flip to flower. Hoping this cheaper alternative may help.

Back
Top Bottom