When to harvest(seeing amber hairs)?

ChefTim420

A couple of my plants are showing amber hairs on the buds.These plants were kept in small 2gl. containers .They are only about 2ft. tall.They are showing color on the buds at the top of the plant The buds toward the bottom still have white pistals.How much more time do I have .I would post pics but the camera I have doesn't do well for closeups.My other plants are in 5 gl. pots and they are showing no signs of changing color .

Re: When to harvest(seeing amber hairs) ?

Harvest when 50 to 75% of the hairs change amber.Thats the easiest way to judge.There are others but you need start with the basics at first.

the top bud on 1 plant is already at 50% or more .Should i wait till all the buds are like that .They aren't changing all at the same pace.Or is there some thing wrong .Been staying on the same schedule.The lights aren't close enough to burn them.

You can probally harvest the top bud but wait for confirmation from others like NDW or Teg because cutting a flowering plant can effect growth rates.
To take the top bud now and wait for the rest is one of many techniques to have what is known as a perpetual harvest method or marijuana micro factory.

Well yeah what U said . Once your whole plat is at least 60 percent change its time. If the top bud is mature and other are let it be to mature more and the the other get a lil more mature . I think it is possible to cut the top cola off and harvest and let the other finish but will slow the process down from shock. So i normally just wait another week or so and then cut to try and let the bottom nugs mature a lil more.

What urdedpal is suggesting is definitely a good way to harvest consistent strength bud and to have a good supply over time. Also, removing the upper buds and branches allows more light to reach the lower buds giving them a chance to devop larger than they would have if left shaded.

The downsides to it are that you can put the plant in to shock and it can go into a stasis period where it just stops developing for a period of time ranging from a couple days to weeks. Also, as with any trimming and an increased risk with any cuts to the main stalk, you risk the plants getting an infection that can cause a more extreme shock or possibly kill it.

If you decide to go ahead with it then make sure that you get yourself a magnifying glass to check the color of the resin glands also known as trichromes. That is the indicator that you want to rely on. If the trichromes are still clear or simi-clear then it is not ready for harvest. You want the trichromes to be a good milky white opaque when you harvest. This applies to when you are harvesting the whole plant are the partial harvest. if you are doing a partial harvest use your mag glass to check the trichromes lower and lower from the top untill you reach a point that they start turning clear, that is your harvest point, and leave the rest to continue developing.

I think I covered everything I know about partial harvests, but if anyone else can think of any other risks or rewards from it please speak up.

Thanx again.I think i'llhold off another week and see how she looks.Ijust didn't want it to go to far.I probably have another 2 to 3 wks left on the others.Is it normal for plants indoors to take a longer time in the winter mths as opposed to spring and summer?

If you don't keep a consistant temp and the change is more than ten degrees the answer is yes cooler temps slow and can stunt growth.

urdedpal said:
If you don't keep a consistant temp and the change is more than ten degrees the answer is yes cooler temps slow and can stunt growth.

i dont know about that i use a AC unit in my grow and i been keeping my room at 73f with lights on and 65f at night and i get Big tight sticky buds
but i been tring to fig out how to hook blades on the electric meter so i can use it as a fan cuz that sucker just spins fast lol.

lol I know what you mean mr_x. Growing indoors certainly nails you in the electic bill.

And yes I've really noticed a huge difference in development rate when it's cold. I haven't been able to afford to heat my grow room this winter so it's been pretty low temps in there and what during the summer takes 1 month has taken my girls a couple months to accomplish.

NoDirtWeed4Me said:
lol I know what you mean mr_x. Growing indoors certainly nails you in the electic bill.

And yes I've really noticed a huge difference in development rate when it's cold. I haven't been able to afford to heat my grow room this winter so it's been pretty low temps in there and what during the summer takes 1 month has taken my girls a couple months to accomplish.

I'm not even going to get into my electric bill,,,,lol,,,but my dog is in my grow room so it needs to be heated anyways. :allgood:

Iguess i'm lucky ,our winter hasn't been that cold here.Still sleep with the windows open at night.The closet i'm growing in stays between 65 and 75 night and day.It does seem like they are taking a long time to mature .My wife asking when they're going to be ready.They smell sooooo good right now , but i know I have a few more weeks on acouple of them and longer on the others.

So your heating bills are pretty high? Don't power companies and cops look out for that kinda stuff? I want to grow someday, but I was wondering what amount of increase in your electric bill sets off the red flag.

Blob said:
So your heating bills are pretty high? Don't power companies and cops look out for that kinda stuff? I want to grow someday, but I was wondering what amount of increase in your electric bill sets off the red flag.

I'm not sure. Everything is electrical in my home. No oil or nuttin,,,so its gonna be harder to determine that from a house heated by oil. Dig?

Hmmm. Maybe plug in all your lights and other gear within a few days of moving into a new place, regardless of whether or not you're growing yet. That way your power usage never increases, it just stays the same.

My power bill hasn't increased.I started my grow end of October.So actuallt my bill has gone down .It averages about 220.00 in the summer.Thru the fall and and winter it runs around 140

Yeah that's cause you are running cfl lights. It's the hps and mh lights that kill your electric bill.

electric space heaters eat about as mush electric as a 400w light they alone suck your electric, hint

yup. Actually, my space heater is 1500 watts, much worse than my 400watt hps. I think most space heaters are, so if you have to use a heater for your grow then your bill is automatically toast. lol

Back
Top Bottom