Which is Best? Hydroponic or Soil?

SmokingGood61

hey i was just wondering what would be better hydro or just using soil? i heard HYDROPONIC is tricky but i like to try to things and i just wanted to know other peoples opinion on it..

so basiclly what im asking is which would you prefer ? HYDROPONIC or soil? & why ?

because i was thinking about going HYDROPONIC

Hmm...you just asked a very basic question, about a very complicated subject. I have books on growing our beloved, plant where there are whole chapters devoted to what you are asking...but I'll throw in my two cents.

IMO, one is not better than the other, they are just different. Each method has it's own set of advantages (and disadvantages for that matter). So it is going to depend on what you are after.

Out plant will grow almost anywhere if given a chance, I've seen it growing in a crack in a parking lot...so for a new grower, it's hard to beat soil for it's simplicity. Then, once a grower really knows what he/she is doing, you can grow some of the dankest, stickiest, tastiest nugs you've ever seen, with organics in soil. In fact, some would say the only way to develop the full profile of terpenes possible in some strains is in soil.

One of hydro's advantages is growth rate and yield. Hydroponic nutrients are already in a state that can be used immediately by the plant, so it can grow faster. In soil, bacteria and fungi break down certain compounds and make them available to the plant. So, in essence, if you want to grow the very best buds in soil, you need to feed the soil in addition to the plant, in hydro you only feed the plant.

If you are growing hydroponically it's much more hands on (there are exceptions). your garden will be very dependent on timers and pumps all working correctly. And a power outage can spell disaster! Also, problems must be recognized and corrected quickly in hydro, and a poorly maintained setup that clogs and overflows, or has a hose that comes loose or breaks can lead to catastrophic water damage.

One exception to many of the problems and difficulties that can occur in hydro is a method called hempy (named after the individual that made the style popular). It's basically a passive hydroponic system where the plant is growing in a bucket with a hole in the side, filled with some type soilless media (some combination of perlite, vermiculite, etc), and water/nuts are added by you much like watering a plant in soil.

I started with both and ended up going with soil, not because I didn't like the hydro but as you said it was a bit more difficult for a beginner. My two problems which caused me to pause my hydro grow was controlling the ph and keeping the res solution cool in a 5gal DWC bubble setup.

I have since rebuilt my setup by adding a 15gal tub to the bubble bucket. I also think that cooling with a frozen two liter of water will be easier to keep steady with the additional 15 gallons of water also the ph won't swing as fast with the extra water.

I personally don't think one is better than the other. I say give them both a shot and see which grow you like best.

One exception to many of the problems and difficulties that can occur in hydro is a method called hempy (named after the individual that made the style popular). It's basically a passive hydroponic system where the plant is growing in a bucket with a hole in the side, filled with some type soilless media (some combination of perlite, vermiculite, etc), and water/nuts are added by you much like watering a plant in soil.

I also have a hempy grow going and all I can say is it is beginner friendly. Good call Fratdogg. +rep

I added Osmocote plus to my hempy mix so all I do is water her. I ph my water using the hydro scale and she does fine at 5.8

Warning: Hempy grows faster than soil so be prepared :)

It's like having the best of both grows in one.

I also have a hempy grow going and all I can say is it is beginner friendly. Good call Fratdogg. +rep

I added Osmocote plus to my hempy mix so all I do is water her. I ph my water using the hydro scale and she does fine at 5.8

Warning: Hempy grows faster than soil so be prepared :)

It's like having the best of both grows in one.

:thanks: for the kind words sir, and :thanks: for the +rep!

I too use Osmocote Plus, in soil. ;) I couldn't agree more, hempy with OC+ is very beginner friendly. Simple is good, because it allows new growers to focus their energy on understanding our plant rather than tinkering with equipment.

Whichever one that is some combination of the one that you enjoy the most and the one that you are the best at (if they are not one and the same to begin with).

:smokin:Did you ever notice how it always seems TorturedSoul sits back watching the conversation develop, then at the opportune moment, swoops in with one or two sentences and settles the whole debate?

:adore:

I :love: you brother!

I grow both right now (hydro and soil) in the same room. Both unDer a 1000watt hps light. The hydro grows ALOT better, no lie. I'll even put up a pic, but hydro is a lot harder. You need to adjust the ph daily and ppms if you have a ppm meter. I dont but my shit still comes out fire. Soil is pretty easy except for bugs and stuff like that, but if your trying to harvest sooner I'd say hydro, it grows a lot quicker and a lot better. I'd say soil if your lazy, hydro if you want to be in there every day checking on them

102_1998.jpg

102_1997.jpg

102_1999.jpg

They have been growing for the same amount of time in the same room, and they're the same strain. Only difference is soil and hydro

IMO, you get better smells and flavors in soil.

@ sanjose... Oh and soil is not easy when you're growing in all organic. Cause you have to care for the soil and the plant. Your side by side pics are misleading and they don't do soil any justice. I bet if you learn more about soil and beneficial bacteria, you would have bigger/better looking plants in soil. I'm sure other soil growers like me will read your post and then laugh at you.

@ sanjose... Oh and soil is not easy when you're growing in all organic. Cause you have to care for the soil and the plant. Your side by side pics are misleading and they don't do soil any justice. I bet if you learn more about soil and beneficial bacteria, you would have bigger/better looking plants in soil. I'm sure other soil growers like me will read your post and then laugh at you.

no matter how you look at it hydro grows faster. yes you can get soil to grow at the same rate but it takes time and effort. you cant say soil taste/smells better kuz ive had hydro that would taste/smell better then some soil grown strains and vice versa but all i am stating is hydro is quicker and can be harder for a first time grower then soil will be and obviously i grow both for a reason
i dont prefer 1 over the other they are both great ways to grow and both have there advantages but i just think it is harder to grow hydro yes soil can be difficult but thats if you make it difficult. but if you dont want to make it difficult you can just throw a clone in soil and water it every other day and its as simple as that were you cant just throw a plant in hydro kit and leave it cuz it will die you have do do ph ppms air pumps and thingslike that so ther for soil is alot easier to grow with and like i said that dosent mean soil is worthless because its not:peacetwo:

"but if you dont want to make it difficult you can just throw a clone in soil and water it every other day and its as simple as that" - This has got to be the dumbest comment that I have ever read.

Yeah, it looks like you just threw a clone in soil. So your agreeing with me that your pictures are misleading. You obviously didn't show the plant in soil the same tender love and care. And now you post pictures on 420Magazine saying shit like "Look heres the difference between Hydro and Soil."

From the looks of it your soil skills are below average.

This is what some refer to as an "Epic Fail".

I have been reading up on conditioning your soil with beneficial bacteria. once I learned why its needed I went and picked some up and plan on using it on my next grow.

sanjose said:
They have been growing for the same amount of time in the same room, and they're the same strain. Only difference is soil and hydro

Be fair now! I see a difference, one is in a container half the size of the other.
I think Dankafied Rob is right in saying you didn't show the same care for your soil grow, and it probably started around the time you noticed your hydro was growing faster.... That's the time when you should have concentrated more effort on your soil grow. She is potbound for sure.
I am not putting your grow down. I think your hydro looks nice and your soil looks Ok. I just do not agree with your comparison.

sanjose said:
...I'd say soil if your lazy, hydro if you want to be in there every day checking on them

Then.

sanjose said:
no matter how you look at it hydro grows faster. yes you can get soil to grow at the same rate but it takes time and effort....

Talk to me man! If you have to put time and effort into getting soil to grow at the same rate, then wouldn't the only thing lazy about it be a person who is "not" putting in the time and effort. You Know what I mean? Things like transplanting, checking runoff, ppm's, etc....

San jose wow my man what a difference! Wow ima a soil farmer and need to get more interested into the hydro side!!!!! Luke iam your father!!!!

San jose wow my man what a difference! Wow ima a soil farmer and need to get more interested into the hydro side!!!!! Luke iam your father!!!!

Hey Canna, there's some other stuff going on there. There's no way the difference should be that pronounced.

While I wouldn't have put it quite the same way Dankafied did, I agree whit what he is trying to say. I would simply reference TS's post, and say by the looks of things, sanjose is better at hydro, and because of that, probably enjoys it more.:)

Ok thanx doggie those look so different!!! Like i said ima soil farmer and was starting to wonder!!!! I will look into souls posts as well fratty thanx!!!!

I have been reading up on conditioning your soil with beneficial bacteria. once I learned why its needed I went and picked some up and plan on using it on my next grow.

Be fair now! I see a difference, one is in a container half the size of the other.
I think Dankafied Rob is right in saying you didn't show the same care for your soil grow, and it probably started around the time you noticed your hydro was growing faster.... That's the time when you should have concentrated more effort on your soil grow. She is potbound for sure.
I am not putting your grow down. I think your hydro looks nice and your soil looks Ok. I just do not agree with your comparison.

Then.

Talk to me man! If you have to put time and effort into getting soil to grow at the same rate, then wouldn't the only thing lazy about it be a person who is "not" putting in the time and effort. You Know what I mean? Things like transplanting, checking runoff, ppm's, etc....

wow i am just saying soil can be easier for a first time grower is that not true?? to me it just sounds like some of you guys took it up the ass i am just stating from experience that hydro worked alot better for me and that soil seemed to be easier for me ive had soil grown plants in 5 gal pots and it still didnt make it grow any faster

IT SHOULDNT MATTER WEATHER HYDRO OR SOIL ARE BETTER WE SHOULD JUST DO WHAT WE KNOW BEST AND GROW THIS LOVELY PLANT THAT WE ALL LOVE SO VERRY MUCH.
I AM NOT HERE TO MAKE PROBLEMS AND ARGUE WITH PEOPLE I AM HERE TO HELP OUT PEOPLE AND SPREAD KNOWLEDGE TO PEOPLE WHO NEED IT

SORRY IF I OFFENDED ANY1 THATS NOT MY GOAL HERE

ya we're all sitting back LOL at, well, you, you put a few seeds in a bucket they grew and now you're an expert! LOL!LOL!LOL! read a book once in a while, you'll learn something, its a fact that hydro grows bigger and better plants, you dont have to admit it but we all know its true, typical know it all supposed expert, didn"t have any relevant info to give so he tries to cut on your grow skills, LOL! LOL! read a book, you'll learn more in the first three chapters than you'll will ever learn from one these supposed, self proclaimed grow masters!!!! trial and error, learn from your mistakes, live it learn it!!!!

Back
Top Bottom