Which parts of the plant do you harvest and what do you do with the rest?

u1556

Do you harvest everything that has these small trichomes ?

Also what is the definition of a "bud", is it the parts that have the trichomes ?

The easiest way to explain this would be with pictures so:

A full plant in flower. The buds are the fat things at the tops of the stems
IMG_015941.JPG

Close up of a bud
IMG_015642.JPG

When you harvest, you want all the flowers (buds) which will be large at the tops but there will also be smaller ones lower down on the plant. After cutting the bud from the plant, you want to trim all the leaves off close to the bud before hanging to dry (some prefer to do this after drying, but I find trimming green easier) so it looks something like this:
IMG_017847.JPG

When you are trimming, save all the sugar leaves (they look frosty). You can use this trim for all sorts of things: make hash, oil, creams, edibles etc.

The rest of the plant, stems and none sugar leaves, can go in the composter to be used for fertilizer for you next grow.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions, we are all here to help

Thanks this helps.

About the sugar leaves. Mine plants aren't that big, so can I leave the sugar leaves and dry them with the bud ?

The part of the sugar leaves which has trichomes.. I am planning on leaving that part with the bud, to maximize the dried product, anything wrong with that ? I don't want to use the sugar-leaves for hash etc as it will be too complicated for me.

Sure, a lot of people do that and leave the sugar leaves on, just use a good sharp pair of scissors to cut the fan leaves off as close to the stem as possible. I find it helps to hold the bud upside down and bend it a little so I can reach in to cud the stem of the fan leaf.

Fan leaves usually have few if any trichomes on them so I would cut them off. They don't contribute anything to the smoke and if left on, they could trap moisture in your bud inviting mold.

Sometimes I dry and smoke my fan leaves... it doesn't get you high, but why not? Better than tobacco.

The easiest way to explain this would be with pictures so:

A full plant in flower. The buds are the fat things at the tops of the stems
IMG_015941.JPG

Close up of a bud
IMG_015642.JPG

When you harvest, you want all the flowers (buds) which will be large at the tops but there will also be smaller ones lower down on the plant. After cutting the bud from the plant, you want to trim all the leaves off close to the bud before hanging to dry (some prefer to do this after drying, but I find trimming green easier) so it looks something like this:
IMG_017847.JPG

When you are trimming, save all the sugar leaves (they look frosty). You can use this trim for all sorts of things: make hash, oil, creams, edibles etc.

The rest of the plant, stems and none sugar leaves, can go in the composter to be used for fertilizer for you next grow.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions, we are all here to help
Do your hands get sore at harvest time? Do you wish you had more hands? Meet my newest assistant and mascot, Octosnappy, she gets it done in a snap!
octopus.jpg

Back
Top Bottom