Why are reflective hoods so damn expensive?

RandyL

I've been pricing out some parts to get my HPS sodium lights, and with few exceptions I can't believe the price of reflective hoods! Why are these things so damn expensive? The only fancy part is a piece of sheet metal that MAY have a fancy reflective pattern stamped into it, other than that it's just a big piece of sheet metal holding the light bulb socket.

I think the market is just taking advantage of marijuana growers to make a buck on these things.

i built my own reflector, i will post pics asap. What i did was buy sheet metal from home depot, it comes in a roll 1o inches wide or larger, i went with 10 inches and i believe like 20-25ft long for $10. Then I cut out the sides (making sure the bottom perimeter was larger than than the top of the reflector, geometrics needed lol). the top was a 10'' square the bottom was 15''. it works good enuf 4 now...but i plan on paiting the inside with chrome paint. I believe u do need heat in your room and not from another source than your light, dont waste electricity! which is why i dont use a sealed reflector with a blower and all that crap. you can keep the light semi cool by having a fan point up at it. my plants are about 18'' from the 400w hps. I think the heat makes the plants draw more water from the root zone and dries out your soil quiker so u can water more often which accelerates growth

Back
Top Bottom