Will Cannabis Ever Be Legal

Ron Strider

In spite of the opinion of many Americans across this country, the legalization of cannabis is less likely to happen than they think.

There are three main reasons:

-It is a complicated process.

-There is a body of government in office that is extremely lazy and corrupt.

-The pharmaceutical companies own most of those involved in changing laws.

Let's talk about the first reason.

In order to end the prohibition of cannabis in this country, state laws and federal laws need to be changed. While the federal government, through the 10th Amendment can't prevent states from legalizing cannabis, once outside of those state's lines, federal laws come into play.

Unless a state can grow the plants only within their boundaries for their supply, people will attempt to bring some in from other states thus obstructing federal laws. What if the state it is brought from did not legalize cannabis? Laws will need to be written regarding interstate transport of the plants and seeds to complement legalization laws of each state.

As it is, the laws regarding cannabis differ greatly between states. Similarly, should the federal government repeal the current Controlled Substances Act, individual states legally can instill it in their own laws. Do you see the mess this would create?

Secondly, do you think for a moment that those we elect to office would work really hard for you to coordinate all this? I don't. They are protecting their own interests 99.9 percent of the time. They are too busy taking lavish vacations, playing golf – you know, living the good life! I am sure that some of them can get their own without any hassle.

Finally, the third reason has to do with corruption and the power that pharmaceutical companies hold over our elected officials. Do you think for a minute that a senator would use his or her integrity over the money they are being paid (legally through stocks, campaign contributions, etc., to name a few) by pharmaceutical companies? I would bet they would not.

Pharmaceutical companies do not want cannabis legalized because that would mean monetary loss, monetary loss and more monetary loss.

There is research proving that cannabis is an effective anti-nausea product. It also increases appetite. Pharma companies that sell those types of drugs would be out of business in no time.

There is also research that proves that cannabis assists with the improvement of spasticity associated with MS and spinal cord injuries. Pharma companies that sell muscle relaxants would suffer great losses.

Another medicinal use for cannabis is as an anti-seizure controller. Pharma companies that sell that type of medication would have huge monetary loses, too.

Perhaps, the most important advantage to using cannabis instead of the pharma drugs is that cannabis in its pure form, such as the oil, has no damaging side effects as opposed to sometimes deadly side effects the drugs pharmaceutical companies manufacture and doctors prescribe.

I hate to be so pessimistic, but we need to be realistic as to what the chances of something like this happening are.

I highly recommend that Americans wake up from their slumber and become proactive when they want things to happen. We have a body of government that is supposed to be working for our best interests. That is not the case.

Get active. Write your people. March. Make phone calls. Do whatever it takes to be heard.

Anything less is not conducive to change. It is up to you to create change.

Sandra Parker of Allen Park is a special education teacher.

Leaf_in_Hand_-_Allan_Ziolkowski.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Will cannabis ever be legal? | Opinion | thenewsherald.com
Author: Sandra Parker
Photo Credit: Allan Ziolkowski

Back
Top Bottom