Will Texas become the next state to allow medical cannabis?

Damagoman

There is currently a bill that will allow MMJ as a defence in Texas.
From Texas NORML | Texas Chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws
" Will Texas become the next state to allow medical cannabis?
November 18th, 2008 9:21 pm

It is with great pleasure that I inform you all of the introduction of HB 164. The bill, introduced by Elliott Naishtat would allow an affirmative defense to cannabis possession. Basically, if passed, the bill would allow medical doctors to legally recommend that a patient use cannabis, if the potential benefits outweigh the health risks associated with the particular patient.

There is not a clear plan of action spelled out regarding an actual medical program, but if a patient is arrested or ticketed for the possession of cannabis, he or she may use the doctor recommendation in court to avoid further arrest, fines or probation.

HB 164 <–See the full text of the bill."
https://texasnorml.org/news/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/hb-164.pdf
------------
Texas Legislature Online - 81(R) History for HB 164

Call 'em all, even if they aren't your Rep
and often to let 'em know how ya' feel.
Who Represents Me--Home

Found on Texas ABATE site, this maybe just Biker day.
Texas Legislative DAY ~ January 26, 2009
go to the Texas State Capitol and talk with our elected legislators.
You will want to be part of this Grassroots event that takes place the 4th Monday in January on odd numbered years.
You will want to call your Texas State Senator's office and your Texas State Representative's office to schedule your appointment for January 26th.

Thank you for this bit of wonderful news i never thought this day would ever happen in texas i will be sure to write and call my Senators and Representative

i know of many people who really could use medical cannabis but would not use it now due to the fear of jail time lets also pry that this will pass

have a great day mango

Sounds similar to the Maryland law.

You still get arrested and hassled and need a lawyer for court, but you are allowed to explain you use it for medicinal purposes as a means towards a not guilty verdict

It's better than not having any defense and a good start towards full legalizaton

I wish my friends in Texas the best of luck.

Sounds similar to the Maryland law.

You still get arrested and hassled and need a lawyer for court, but you are allowed to explain you use it for medicinal purposes as a means towards a not guilty verdict

It's better than not having any defense and a good start towards full legalizaton

I wish my friends in Texas the best of luck.

I agree.

Here it is almost 10 years later, Greg Abbott is governor, and he just recently said cannabis (medical & recreational) will not be legalized while he is in office. He's GOT to go!

Back
Top Bottom