Wireless Camera Security Systems?

Re: Wireless Camera Security Systems?????

I can't give you all the answers, but I can tell you about my system.

I have the QSee 4 cam DVR. I have 3 cams hooked up to it and it displays on an old CRT type TV.

It has the ability to be viewed over the internet, but I've never tried that.

1st the cameras:
I think less than 600 TV Lines is worthless.
Color securtiy cameras are only color at day and B/W at night.
They use IR lights at night, IR from one camera/device helps to light up others (IR can be shared)
The color is nothing like regular cameras, it's almost like it's not color at all.

The display device has to have at least the same lines as the camera does, or you'll see a lower quality pic. However, it'll still record a higher quality image. This is only good when you pull the records off the device.

... In other words, if you use a low quality display (lower TV Lines) you'll see a poor image.

The QSee DVR has motion zones, it can signal an alarm when there is motion in a certain area. You control that area, it could be the top of a fence or a gate, or a window area.

My QSee reboots itself, sometimes it does this several times a day, but it does go back to recording after the reboot.
It allows me to see 4 cams either at the same time or in rotation.
It allows me to record at different quality levels per camera
It uses an internal hard drive and gives me about 10 days of history at the highest quality level, using 2 600 TV Line and 1 420 TV Line cameras.

It's a pain to go back an find what happened unless you know WHEN it happened. If you don't know when it happened, you'll sit there all day looking at recordings in 1 hour segments at up to 8X speed. This can take a while! Think about 24 hours at 8X, you can sit there for 6 hours not to mention loading up each segment.

After all that, what you see is really dependent on camera TV Lines and placement.

I caught someone 90 feet away steeling from across the street several times, they knew who it was, but it wasn't clear enough from the recordings for the police to do anything.

On the up side, I can see anyone coming close to my house. You can't get on my property without me opening a gate. The front of the house is covered at all angles and offers excellent nite time vision because a flood of IR light.

The cameras are also very visible from the street because of their size... If this is a part of the goal, you can set up large 'dummy' cameras. When I move mine closer to the street, I'll be setting up a few dummy camera just to scare people.

Note: I have several classic cars and they sit on the driveway, these camera are there to make people think twice.

I've seen police raids in pitch black darkness across the street, I can set it up so I see people come from any angle at any time and can use motion detection to alert me if I wanted to.

The DVR was about $199 after rebate, you can get them as a card on the PC, but I selected a stand alone unit, other than the random reboots, the QSee works very well.

I haven't used wireless, so I really can't add any info to that.

I bought mine from Fry's and they go on sale usually twice a month. I've seen some 700TV Line cameras for about $120 each.

A few notes about the cameras:

Wide angle covers more area, but less detail, 'bullet' cams are narrow, you can go online a see some of the results.

Avoid any zoom that's not optical. Digital zoom sucks.

The size of the CCD is important, most big $$ cameras have 1/3" or more, this effects the quality of the recordings.

The next cameras I get will be 700 TV Lines and I am looking to get an HD display to see this at high res. You can also get a splitter and watch from different rooms.

TPZ Tilt-Pan-Zoom requires a controller of some type, check before you buy.

Some offer email/smart phone updates... I _THINK_ my QSee will notice me via smart phone based on movement in preset regions, but again I don't use that.

I'd compare side by side the wireless vs wired to see if you lose res.

The cameras that come with the system do they plug into a wall or they can run off a 12v???? And I hope the camera doesnt have to be wired to the DVR does it?

Is this the one you have????

1663373455602.png

From the looks of the QSee site, they don't sell my model any more.

The cameras plug into BOTH an A/C outlet and the DVR, then you run the cord out to the camera. I ran mine up into the attic, then out to the end of the roof and down to the cameras.

I installed some underground wires out to the end of the driveway, so once I build a home for them, I'll mount 2 out about 20' from the sidewalk.

Before you buy, look at the res of the cameras. I bought a cheap one and it was completely worthless. You really need 600 or more TV Lines.

The cheap cameras give a bunch of ghosts and fuzzy images, hard to tell what's what. Mine give really good detail.

One other note: You have to download a converter program if you want to extract the video to other formats. Most use .264H and QSee has a link to a free program to convert to something you can upload to youtube.

It should have a USB thumb drive outlet so you can grab [backup] to it as a way of extracting video. This only applies IF you need to grab a video clip for some reason.

People that live around me always ask me to check my system when something is missing...

One other note: You might ask at the store if you can try the wireless version and what kind of resolution they offer. _IF_ you can get a 700 TV Line wireless camera, that might be the way to go. Then you can see if it really has the same quality as a wired version.

Karl-
Thats what I would like better is a wireless. I cant have wires running threw my place. Thats not really ideal for my home. Theres no stores around my area but I was online on there site and amazon. I have to keep in mind the 600-700 that you speak of. Thats something I never knew about so I appreciate that info from you.

JJ-
I was just looking at Lorex but alot of reviews were bad about there customer service and about the cameras not recording. I dont know if thats for all systems but It was mostly for the all in one system that comes with the 7" LCD screen. There was nothing else bad though. I also like them and am really curious to find out my self. I also like that the all in one camera LCD system has a built in mic and speaker for conversing back and forth like an intercom. So thats a plus. Which system are you using? and is it wireless, wifi friendly?

I noticed on the Lorex that they have a 600 TV Lines listed as 'super' resolution, I'd actually consider 600 to be entry level. I've see the recorded output of my 600's and I wouldn't go any lower!

You might have to dig into the specs to find true comparable numbers, some say VGA, HiRes, Super, etc... AFAIK, the real issues are the size of the CMOS sensor, you want 1/3" or larger, and the TV Lines... I'm not sure how VGA (640x480?) compares with TV Lines.

One other note: The recording FPS [Frames Per Second] is usually SHARED! That means if it does 120 FPS, and you have 4 cameras, you get 30 FPS per camera... NOT 120 per camera.

You want to be close to 30 FPS per camera in you recording. Some do a 'stop frame' or 'freeze frame' recording... I'd pass on anything that can't get real close to 30 FPS per camera.

And it need to do that at the Highest res of the camera.

Make sure you don't over buy the camera and under buy the recorder... if the cameras do 600 TVLines, will the DVR record ALL of the cameras at that res at or near 30 FPS ?

After someone has trashed your car is NOT the time to find out you have a great camera and a crappy DVR.

Back
Top Bottom