Security Camera Idea

upinvapor

So, I am currently about to start my first grow... just finishing up building the veg and flower boxes now. I live alone and work during the day, so I am concerned about bad things happening with the grow while I am away, like a fire. I am setting it all up in a closet in a spare bedroom in my townhouse. I bought this cheap webcam and had an idea. I am thinking of setting up the webcam to broadcast live feed of my grow so I can watch it from work and if something happens like a fire or something where I need to go home fast I will be able to leave work and hopefully be able to get home in time to stop a fire from burning the place down. Do I really need to be this concerned about fires? What about when I have to go out of town and the lights have to be on the timer without me there?

Has anyone ever thought of using security cameras to view their grow while away? I am thinking of posting the live cam feed through a website I host and build and have it have password access of course so I can view the cam from anywhere by going to my site.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

It's good idea if you're that concerned about it, but just remember that most sites that offer you those types of services actually record and buffer the feeds to you, so footage would be floating around on a server somewhere, and could possibly fall into the wrong hands.

Now if you set up your own web server at home that streamed the video feed, then required authentication, you would be a lot safer.

As long as you keep your grow room clean and safe, you don't typically have to worry about fires.. Just remember to keep the loads under their limits, keep your equipment in good shape, and you're good to go.

Yeah, it's been done.

You should be more "concerned" about being behind some type of proxy and using DDNS service that will mask your IP, which I assume is using some type of private network routing (192.168.x.x).

As far as fires, they DO happen. Tons of video's that show houses engulfed by flames from grow lights. You just need to use "common sense", don't overload your circuits, and don't have anything flammable within proximity to your lighting. Most, if not all of your electrical components will be UL tested, so if you stay within your parameters you should be just fine.

If you can, perhaps try and be present for the first day you "fire-up" your equipment. Get a feel for everything, temps, make sure breaker doesn't trip, and you'll feel more comfortable with leaving your grow during the day.

As for being out for an extended time, I can't say that I've done that, but I would think you should have someone either check things out, or have a go-to guy/gal that could help you out in a pinch, obviously someone you would trust with your life, or close to it.

Hope this helps. Great Luck with your grow!
SF

Thanks for replying so fast with such good ideas. I should have mentioned that I had thought about the feed being hacked so I had planned to either show the room the grow boxes are in and it just be a feed of two plywood boxes. Or if that looks too suspicious maybe the floor in front of the box. Just some way so it is not obvious what I am showing and so that I could look at the feed and know if a fire is burning. I work close to home so I can get there fast if need be.

As a former firefighter I can tell you that it only takes 1-2 minutes for a house to be fully engulfed. That said you have no chance of racing home to catch it in time. Best case is you would be able to dial 911 and report it. If your electrical is up to standard and not over loaded and your equipment is good the danger of fire is pretty low.

Anyone know how much it would cost to coat a closet with fireproof material? So if a fire happens it is contained in the closet and goes out ?

Probably best to check out some Grow Tents that can keep most of the heat inside the unit, then you wouldn't have to worry so much about the "outside" closet.

Fireproofing the room, would probably cause a whole new set of environmental variables that would complicate your grow setup.

SF

If you are worried look into using wonder board or Hardy-Backer. Both are cement based undlayment used in tiling. They come in 3x5 sheets at H-D or Lowe's. It will slow the spread of fire but not contain it. You cannot fireproof a room. Not physically possible. Even fire rated safes only buy you a few minutes. Use proper electrical and good equipment and you will be fine. Push the limits of your wiring or use cheap or wornout equipment and you are playing with fire.

As a former firefighter I can tell you that it only takes 1-2 minutes for a house to be fully engulfed. That said you have no chance of racing home to catch it in time. Best case is you would be able to dial 911 and report it. If your electrical is up to standard and not over loaded and your equipment is good the danger of fire is pretty low.

As a wannabe firefighter I can tell you that if your place catches fire the last thing you want is someone saving your grow room...LOL...let us know when you start broadcasting as we would all like to check in once in awhile!

So, I am currently about to start my first grow... just finishing up building the veg and flower boxes now. I live alone and work during the day, so I am concerned about bad things happening with the grow while I am away, like a fire. I am setting it all up in a closet in a spare bedroom in my townhouse. I bought this cheap webcam and had an idea. I am thinking of setting up the webcam to broadcast live feed of my grow so I can watch it from work and if something happens like a fire or something where I need to go home fast I will be able to leave work and hopefully be able to get home in time to stop a fire from burning the place down. Do I really need to be this concerned about fires? What about when I have to go out of town and the lights have to be on the timer without me there?

Has anyone ever thought of using security cameras to view their grow while away? I am thinking of posting the live cam feed through a website I host and build and have it have password access of course so I can view the cam from anywhere by going to my site.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

There is a line of grow room controllers that have sensors for fire's, pump failures ,floods,basically every piece of equipment in the room which are connected thru usb cables to your pc which will send text messages to your cell phone with simple messages such as ph 9.5, flood, fire, even unauthorized entry its all connected to your pc and uses a variety of internet messenger apps which have cell phone apps as well. If your a legal medicinal patient who is following all reg's you can purchase pinhole video cameras that are activated by motion and can use anything from a 2mb sd - 64mb sd card these are excellent for if you are robbed just do what i do dont resist and try and try to handle the situation enouhg to get them in front of the camera as it also has a microphone to record there voice..

But do some shoping there is a great variety of grow room monitorin equipment that will run thru your pc and only send messages to your cell phone dont think there are any problems with security like the feds tapping into these systems.

Back
Top Bottom