Wiring flurocent lights

GroKind

Hi. Newbie here...hope I didn't step on anybodys toes picking my username. Anyway I wonder could anyone expain or give a link on how to wire up 3 or 4 (2 ft long) flurocent lights off of a single wall plug-in cord.

you need the right fixtures for them... go to a hardware store and they'll have them for cheap... you won't need to fix it up or anything

ya jsut go to Lowes and pick up a Shop Light Plus thats what i used to germinate, i have 400 watt system of the rest of the the grow...the Shop Light Plus comes with it wire to a 3 prong plug so you just plug it into a household outlet and it comes with a chains so you can adject the light to how close you want it to your plant

i have no that i can sell to you but i want be worth it since ill probobly charge more then what you can buy it for in LOWES cause i would charge shipping.

Did these lights come w/plugs attached to the cords? Some don't that's why I ask. If not, the instructions should tell you how to wire them. If so, you could try to get a surg protector bar. Just my 2 cents worth.
Vin

yes they do... you need to do nothing except stick the lights in the fixtures, then plug them in... and VOILA! lights

Thanks for the replies..the light that I have is not a plug in style. I looked for one at lowes but was unsuccessful. I was hoping to wire this light with a couple of others in series, so that I could just plug one cord in to power 3 or 4of these lights. There is only two wires that you have to actually deal with coming from the ballast.. one white and one black.

If it were me, I would attach a plug to each individual light, and then plug them all into a surge protector bar. I just feel this would be safter than stringing them all up in a series. Unless you know something about electricity.
Vin

All you need to do is go into Lows or Home Depot and go to the electical department, they will have plugs there that you can buy for 2 bucks or some shit and all you have to do is put one wire under one skrew another under the other skrew and connect the ground if you have it(none of my lights have had a ground). Its really easy to wire them up, takes litteraly 5 min.

You don't want them in series you want them in parellel. I am hesitent to help on this thread because it can be dangerous. Go to ur homeimprovement store and ask them. They will show you the connectors you will need.
If you have no training in electricity please be careful.

if you are not sure what you are doing it would be gest to put a plug on each light fixture and run plug all into 1 surge bar or 1 ext cord with that plugged into timer -- when i wire up stuff i mark white + black wires at both ends with masking and elect. tape to keep colors straight when components have electronic parts/ ballasts etc this can help prevent polarity
problems an easy way to keep polarity right is to buy a cheap out door grounded orange/yellow cord and cut it strip back orange outer and you should see 3 wires green white black put a 4 outlet box on the end -- box; 2 outlets; cover plate ; strain relief for hole in box [lowes etc] outlets have usually 3 colors screws green silver, brass usually the silver is the white wire brass black green green but i'm not tearing open one of my boxes to double check

Yeah. I took everyones advice on this and ran my fluros to a single surge protector. My fluros came with two wire connection, a brass wire (+) and a silver wire (neutral). I took some lamp cord and with wire nuts joined the silver wire with the raised ribbed side of cord and the brass wire with the other smooth side of the cord. I've been testing it this week and so far no problems. This toke goes out to all ya out there. THANKS

Back
Top Bottom