Wiring?

Hardope

Hey guys, I was on a major budget for some new Hps to throw in with my M/h. So instead of buying pre-fabed ballasts, I bought 2 ballast kits, included was the big scary copper thing a ignitor and capacitator. Its a S55 ballast kit from Sylvania I belive, for running 150W HPS bulbs I bought, I also picked up medium ceramic sockets for the thing. So I guess my question is, where do I start?? Am I gonna need a plug in and will the end of an extension cord work? I know I need a soldering gun and yaddie yaddie, but any ideas of how to actaully put the thing together?:thanks:

If you plan to modify standard Hi Bay magnetic ballast by removing the socket and extending it with wire, keep the wire a short a possible. The use of excessively long wire can dramatically shorten bulb life.
Also look at the wires jacket for the listed rating; it should be rated for at least 300 volts and 90C. If there is no UL labeling on the cord / wire I would not use it.
And if you are using a muti-tap ballast, tape or wirenut the unused wires. The unused tap wires will have voltage present once the ballast has power.

Beware of the capacitors, they can hold there charge for a few minutes. Most modern ballasts have a resistor across the top or internally to dissipate the voltage off. I can assure you that do not want to learn this lesson the" hard way"!!!

Thank you MM & DaMagoMan for the Excellent Info
:goodjob:

Thanks you two, seems I may of made a bad choice by going so cheap. There are no UL rating on any of the wires, they're all braided with some type of material and very thick, does that help? Uhh I garentee you I will learn the hard way, always do and it never lets me down. * looks at pile of corded copper mess and shivers*

Sell it and try make some cash....... then put some cash to that cash and go buy exactly what you need..... it will be a bit safer i recon.....

Back
Top Bottom