Woody cutting

BAKIND

I received a cutting that in my opinion is a little woody.

The cutting came from the top of a plant’s main branch.

The cutting was taken with an razor knife at 45 degree angle, dipped in rooting solution and then inserted into a soaked rock wool cube and it’s in a dome I created.

For the first 7 days, it was under an a low wattage led white light. For the last 2 days or so, it sat by my window absorbing natural daylight, and last night I had it under an MH. Still see no root out the bottom.

I have not soaked the rock wool cube in the last couple days trying to let it dry out a little in an effort to get it to root.

The cutting is still fully green and perky. I have been spraying the leaves with water. It appears to be consuming water, however, Should I be concerned that it was a little woody to begin with? Is there still a chance this thing will root?

474C356F-36BA-48E8-BBD1-8DECF0F0FBDA.jpeg

I have couple suggestions for the future. 2 things will help clones in this situation root. 1 try and have at least 2 leaf junctions below the soil/cube. Plants will build roots easier from them easier than most places. 2 you can scrape the stalk of woody clones before dipping in rooting compound. This will help give roots a place to form.

I have couple suggestions for the future. 2 things will help clones in this situation root. 1 try and have at least 2 leaf junctions below the soil/cube. Plants will build roots easier from them easier than most places. 2 you can scrape the stalk of woody clones before dipping in rooting compound. This will help give roots a place to form.

Thanks for the advice, is all hope lost on this one you think, or will eventually root?

I am asking because I don’t want to waste my time with it, if it’s probable that it will never root.

Looks ok as of now. Clones can look pretty bad and still come around. I would let it go tell it is dry and dead. After a month you can give up if you want. If it was going to root it should do it by then. If the plant still looks ok after a month then you might as well give it a little more time. It all matters how much that clone means to you.

Looks ok as of now. Clones can look pretty bad and still come around. I would let it go tell it is dry and dead. After a month you can give up if you want. If it was going to root it should do it by then. If the plant still looks ok after a month then you might as well give it a little more time. It all matters how much that clone means to you.

Thanks, here is a better look

F21B6E83-EB8B-4B35-9CB8-6E34BCB64F67.jpeg

Looks fine. A little droopy but that is expected. Looks to me like it will root in time. You have a long time before I would suggest giving up on it.

Well, it wasn’t looking so good after I let the rockwool dry out a little too much. Leaves were very droopy, so I decided to Inspect by taking apart the rockwool cube, and there was no sign of a root system. Clone was taken 14 days ago.

I know I look like an amateur, I am really not, a little rusty maybe, but I’ll add that the cutting came from a woody unhealthy plant.

The bottom of the stem was brown or black, and wasn’t looking good at all.

So I decided to cut the stem again about an inch and a half above the previous cut, and this time
scraped the sides of the stem as someone suggested and re inserted it onto another rock wool cube almost all the way down this time I did t use any rooting hormone or powde. The area where I cut the stem above was nice and moist and white / green.

Since the cutting is much lower into the rockwool cube than previously, some leaf junctions went into the cube, so it’s wait and see now. She’s A little beat up. Not sure what she’s going to do. She’s back in my humididome I created.

4300BAB7-04CD-430A-8405-B85A18CA39CC.jpeg

I don't know about redoing a clone. It may work. You mention that the clone was only 2 weeks old. That is the minimum I wait to see about roots. A month would be a better mark to start pancicing. Always best to just let them be tell the leaves yellow and die.

You may want to add a little rooting compound to the water next time. It might have been a good idea to give it another boost by dipping them. Can't go back so now you just have to keep it happy for a bit. If you can get it to perk back up there is still a chance. Looks like the clone was still alive. The new stem now underground might still root.

I don't know about redoing a clone. It may work. You mention that the clone was only 2 weeks old. That is the minimum I wait to see about roots. A month would be a better mark to start pancicing. Always best to just let them be tell the leaves yellow and die.

You may want to add a little rooting compound to the water next time. It might have been a good idea to give it another boost by dipping them. Can't go back so now you just have to keep it happy for a bit. If you can get it to perk back up there is still a chance. Looks like the clone was still alive. The new stem now underground might still root.

She still looks alive and well and there appears to be some new growth, and she has perked up a bit. The leafs that are left are nice and green. During the day she sits by the window gathering natural sunlight and at night she’s under an led bulb. I spray the leaves with water twice a day. I have nothing really to lose by letting it go to wait and see. This time I’ll make sure not to let the rockwool dry out. I have a feeling she will root in time.

Good deal. Watch for the new growth at the very top of the plant to point straight up. The way I do clones I never know tell I shake the Perlite/vermiculite mix. I can usually tell which ones have rooted by the look of the top of the plant. As long as the leaves stay green stick with the program. If it hasn't died it wants to live.

Good deal. Watch for the new growth at the very top of the plant to point straight up. The way I do clones I never know tell I shake the Perlite/vermiculite mix. I can usually tell which ones have rooted by the look of the top of the plant. As long as the leaves stay green stick with the program. If it hasn't died it wants to live.

The cutting has three nodes currently, and it’s difficult to tell, but there appears to be new growth on all nodes.

E00BAE99-B284-4972-B5CF-F44AF79E5164.jpeg

Here you can see how she perked up a bit since I re cut the stem. Although difficult to see there appears to be new growth and the little leads are pointing up.

1454D364-E48C-4DBA-B779-2D2F9164A561.jpeg

Here you can see tiny new leafs pointing up

ED8F330E-BB33-4834-8DCE-E87442F4448B.jpeg

More difficult on this one to tell, bu there is some new growth.

I will also add the the nodes themselves have grown taller away from the main stem, so looking good.

I am almost tempted to give her some nutes, but I will wait.

Looks just like they should look. That new growth means things are still going on. The fact that it took right off after you redid the cloning part is a good sign. I see the leaves are starting to yellow slightly. That is not a problem as long as the have the energy to root. Don't add nutrients. It will confuse the plant. You want them to concentrate on roots not growth. After a while you could floral feed if necessary.

Looks just like they should look. That new growth means things are still going on. The fact that it took right off after you redid the cloning part is a good sign. I see the leaves are starting to yellow slightly. That is not a problem as long as the have the energy to root. Don't add nutrients. It will confuse the plant. You want them to concentrate on roots not growth. After a while you could floral feed if necessary.

Also, do you suggest I keep them only under the led and away from natural light? The natural light she gets is for about 8 hours or so and it’s not direct. The leaves are not droopy at all.

4F836E97-3046-4A72-BAE7-CBEC3E8C66CA.jpeg

The more powerful the light the better everything is going to work. You can give them to much light I am sure. It takes lumens for a plant to work. They change in light might have something to do with iit. Indirect light may not be as powerful as the LED you are running. The changing in light intensity might have something to do with rooting. Plants are best kept in the same conditions if possible.

If the indirect light IS powerful enough then it is still having to change gears once it goes back under the LED. All these changes might be affecting the plants ability to root. Some strain can be finicky while others will root under a drop light LOL.

s
The more powerful the light the better everything is going to work. You can give them to much light I am sure. It takes lumens for a plant to work. They change in light might have something to do with iit. Indirect light may not be as powerful as the LED you are running. The changing in light intensity might have something to do with rooting. Plants are best kept in the same conditions if possible.

If the indirect light IS powerful enough then it is still having to change gears once it goes back under the LED. All these changes might be affecting the plants ability to root. Some strain can be finicky while others will root under a drop light LOL.

Well, she is not looking that good today. She’s yellowed some more. Starting tomorrow, I will keep her under the led bulb.

i got my hands on a rooted cutting. So I will be posting on my journal, you should be able to see it in my signature.

Sage advice ^^^ and I'm giving it a 420X :passitleft:

The leaves are not droopy at all.

That will change and just let it happen all the way down to "its dead Jim" and then when you see roots, transplant.

Thank me later.

Back
Top Bottom