X-10 Home Control for lights & Pumps

Nerdly1

I searched the forums and didn't find any posts relating to the X-10 Home Power system, so I started a thread.
Being on a limited budget, I'm always trying different stuff out. I have a whole box full of X-10 stuff, Cameras, security sensors, light & appliance modules plus more.

I have purchased 2 - wheel type timers and 1 - digital timer with 28 events. I built a aerojet or rubbermaid cloner, whatever you want to call it. I needed a way to run it 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off. That takes about 50 events, my timer does half that.

I started looking around the web and found a free open source type X-10 timer program, and it is GREAT!!
The program is called FireworX-10 by John P. Jones.
I can program it to turn on and off as many timers as I want! Any duration from 1 second to infinity.
This requires another piece of hardware called a "firecracker module". They make a serial port version and a USB version. This module sends commands from the computer to the X-10 devices through the carrier lines in your home electricity network.
The only down side I can see is needing to put a battery backup on this computer if I'm going away during inclement weather. I live in "Tornado Alley" and we lose power here a few times a year.

Has anyone else used the X-10 system to run stuff?

I think the average cost of both pieces was about $40 originally, or $20 each.

After setting up the program for 30 on, 30 off, I've been running a small fan here in my office to see if it really works. I'm glad to say, yee haa... I'm headed to Walter World to get another aquarium pump to bubble my nutrient water and turn on my new aero/cloner!
I have a seedling in a perfect start with root hanging out of the bottom. Hope this works.
Any suggestions or comments so far?

Hey Gadget Thats cool.

I was looking at the X-10 hardware on ebay and I saw that you had to get this "free" software to run it. I know that usually means that first off its crap second off they will charge a service fee to use any cool features... so I passed
I love open source software because its usually good stuff they dont waste allot of time making it pretty and adding proprietary functions and trackers and Blah blah blah blah.
And its usually the only really "free " software lol
So I guess what im saying is "Cool" haha

Does that program work with the cam? Id like that system for my house and maybe a grow too but I dont plan on making my grow that complicated yet.

I know its not supported here but a live grow cam would be really cool lol.
Oh and can you do time lapse with that system?

Sorry bout all the questions.

Eh Stealthy1 -
X10 is pretty cool. You have a changeable house codes (so you can be different from neighbors), and changeable unit codes. You buy different modules for different applications. Lamp modules for lamps, appliance modules for pumps and such. Assign a module a house code and unit code and your set. It's all plug & play, very easy.
Camera's can be controlled too, no problem. There are also these really cool motion sensors that when tripped they follow whatever command you programmed it for, ie turn on/off light or pump, or turn on/off cameras. Whatever, and the program is fully functional, and totally free. I've had my cloner running 30 min on/off for over a week now, and it works flawlessly.
This saves a few bucks, cause modules are cheaper than timers. Eh, don't worry bout the questions, I'm glad someone else even cared, i was beginning to wonder.

That is totally cool. I'll investigate it further. It states, 39 events, which isn't enough unless you writ macros, which is easy enough. I'll buy one and see how well it works. Thanks for the Link DizzyLizzy!

Back
Top Bottom