Yellow and Brown leaves - heat stress?

sureves

I am 4 weeks into my first grow, and noticed yellowing leaves two days ago. I posted about this in my grow journal, and the feedback I received suggested I had bad roots from overwatering.

However, I'm 98% sure I didn't overwater. In fact, my previous problems had more to do with UNDERwatering. You see, I didn't realize I needed to put in enough water to make some run out. Prior to me joining this site, I had been using a spray bottle and just really getting the tops wet.

I checked the plants today, and they have some brown spots. It looks like the problem is with the older leaves. I also have some leaves that curled, and some on the bottom of one plant that have pretty much wilted and died (pics below).

Also, I had a malfunctioning thermometer, which allowed the temps to get into the high80s/low 90s. I realize this is an issue, so I'm working to control the temps in there. Could the issues I'm having with the leaves be due to heat stress?

Here's a quote from my journal detailing my set up:
:welcome:

Welcome to my very first grow, and as such, my first grow journal. A friend suggested I make a journal of my grow, but I had no idea there was a whole forum for such things! I look forward to sharing my growing experience with all of you, and getting tips in return!

Here's the low-down of what I've got goin' on:

What strain is it? Bag Seed, two types. First strain, I have no idea. Second strain is reportedly a cross of Cheese and Northern Lights.
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? I'm fairly sure both are hybrids, but no clue about percentages.
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg.
If in Veg... For how long? 3 weeks.
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor, custom cabinet
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Jiffy Seed Starting Mix, perlite
If soil... What size pot? just transferred to 6"
Size of light? 26 Watt 6500k CFL
Is it aircooled? Uh, no?
Temp of Room/cab? 72, 41% humidity
Any Pests ? Not that I have seen.
How often are you watering? When the soil is dry; which has been pretty much daily.
Type and strength of ferts used? Just some miracle grow I picked up at walmart.

Here's some background about me and my grow:

The four of the five 'Strain X' plants sprouted on February 28th. I named them Michaelina, Sam, Donna, and Curly. The next day, one more sprouted; thus Leap Baby was born.

The Cheese x Northern Lights (supposedly; I plan to call them this unless someone can identify them) seeds all sprouted March 3rd. They are called Gillian, Mary, Emma, Skye, and Jane.

The dimensions of the cabinet that I started in are 2'x1.5'x2'. I began with the plants in small dixie cups, with one 26 watt 6500k CFL.

The plants are now three weeks old, and I have since swapped the pots out for 6" pots (the biggest I plan to go due to my small space). I have also rigged up a grow cabinet so that I can split my plants between both spaces. I still have the one 26 watt CFL for the aforementioned cabinet; the new cabinet is rigged up with two 26 watt CFLs, with a space blanket attached to the walls for reflectivity (I cannot find mylar anywhere in my town. wtf?), a chill mat installed into the back wall, and an additional fan on the inside.

I haven't fertilized yet - I'm considering buying BPN products or a compost tea.

Here are pictures of the brown spots and dying leaves.

102_8436.JPG

102_8437.JPG

102_8439.JPG

102_8438.JPG

102_8429.JPG

102_8434.JPG

102_8433.JPG

102_8428.JPG

102_8427.JPG

Looks to me like something to do with the soil they're in that they don't like and I don't think a seed started soil is to be used for the grow just to get the roots going and then transplanted to a vegging medium. Have you read the bag on the soil to see the n-p-k value and usually it raps about what it's best use is - the top new growth looks good if you can cure the issue asap. :goodluck:

Vampire has a point. In the photos it looks like the soil doesn't have much perlite like its a seedling soil. Without the perlite the soil could be compacting around the roots to tightly and cutting off oxygen. Try tansplanting and see what happens but remember if you do don't add no nutes for a couple of weeks.

I don't think the high temps helped the situation, that's for sure. I was told temps shouldn't go past 85 and then that is pushing it. I do hope you have some type of fan or air circulating through there. Have you tried looking through here?

Plant Abuse Chart

Plant Moisture Stress - Symptoms and Solutions

Do The Leaves have Burnt Blotches on Them?

Hope these help. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the links, Queen. I'm checking them out right now!

I have fans in both my cabs but I think I'm not drawing enough air in to combat having four times the amount of light bulbs that I did have. I'm going to try to figure out a way to get more air in tomorrow - for now I have been leaving the doors open while the light is on.

Thanks for the links, Queen. I'm checking them out right now!

I have fans in both my cabs but I think I'm not drawing enough air in to combat having four times the amount of light bulbs that I did have. I'm going to try to figure out a way to get more air in tomorrow - for now I have been leaving the doors open while the light is on.

what size or kind of fans are they? Just wondering. I was going to suggest keeping the door open, has that helped any? You may just have to buy more fans.

what size or kind of fans are they? Just wondering. I was going to suggest keeping the door open, has that helped any? You may just have to buy more fans.

Keeping the door open has helped quite a bit - as soon as the doors get closed though, the temps skyrocket again. I definitely need more/bigger fans - I think the one I have is only 6 inches. I also need to devise a way to get more airflow into both cabs....gonna look for a fan I can mount in a hole in the cab in order to direct more fresh air in...

Temps are at 73 right now with the door open. I think part of the problem too is that it's so hot outside right now that it can easily get to the mid-high 80s if my window air conditioning unit isn't running constantly.

Maybe a humidifier might help too. I was having those same issues with heat at first but it got better with a humidifier. Keep us posted lady.

Maybe a humidifier might help too. I was having those same issues with heat at first but it got better with a humidifier. Keep us posted lady.

Hmm, a humidifier...I will have to look into that.

I purchased a different soil - it's called Hi-Yield All-purpose potting mix...it has a no bark formula, and is comprised of Canadian sphagnum peat moss, perlite, Calcitic and dolomitic limestone, a "water-soluable starter charge", and a "professional wetting agent". I'm not really sure what these last two mean.

I can't really transplant into bigger pots, however. My grow space is very small and I don't really have the space for larger diameter pots. (I attempted to transplant but the roots are pretty well holding the soil they currently are in together, so I just lifted them out, put new soil on the bottom, sides, and top.)

I also got two organic nutrient bags. (I was going to BPN but I really don't have the money for it, not even the shipping, so these $5 bags are gonna have to do for now - hopefully my next grow will be smoother!) They are both Espoma brand organics . The first is called Plant-tone and has a 5-3-3 rating...it also has this statement on the analysis label: "Plant-tone is a complete plant food. It contains all the essential plant nutrients." It also has a giant list...if anyone is curious, I can take a picture of the label and upload it later. I also got Bone Meal from the same company, which lists 4-12-0 on the label. I was told I would need something similar to this when I begin flowering.

Subbed all of what your doing sounds good to me. A friend of mine uses Espoma Plant-tone nutes and loves it. By the way, what's BPN? Cheers.

Subbed all of what your doing sounds good to me. A friend of mine uses Espoma Plant-tone nutes and loves it. By the way, what's BPN? Cheers.

That's great. How often and how much of the Plant-tone nutes does your friend use? The directions say to give 1 teaspoon per 3" of pot diameter per month...which seems sketchy to me based on the frequency I've read about other people using with nutes.

And BPN is Blue Planet Nutrients...nearly everyone on this site is in love with them. :love: They sound pretty sweet to me, but I'm crazy broke after spending all my money on my grow cabinet and the lights (and weed to smoke in the interim. :grinjoint:).

By the way, what's BPN? Cheers.

Ah bite your tongue, vampire! BPN stands for Blue Planet Nutrients as Sureves said, he's a sponsor as well as a forum member under the same name. I really can't say enough about the guy, he is great. His nutrients are used by many here including myself, as if you didn't figure that out huh? lol .. If you check out the journals you will see BPN mentioned somewhere. I love his nutes, they have made a great improvement in my grows. And they're reasonably priced but I don't know where he ships to or how much shipping is. Drop him a PM, he will give you the details. And answers questions about his products.:cheer:

That's great. How often and how much of the Plant-tone nutes does your friend use? The directions say to give 1 teaspoon per 3" of pot diameter per month...which seems sketchy to me based on the frequency I've read about other people using with nutes.

And BPN is Blue Planet Nutrients...nearly everyone on this site is in love with them. :love: They sound pretty sweet to me, but I'm crazy broke after spending all my money on my grow cabinet and the lights (and weed to smoke in the interim. :grinjoint:).

Funny, I haven't come across any thread of BPN. I use 'Jack Classics' made by Peter's (30-10-10) in soil with good results.
The BPN, if I have to get it online or from the hydro store I wouldn't try it cause I believe those mj specific products are hyped up n pricey for what they have in em.
About M8's Espoma ferts, I imagine he goes with the recommended on the bag amount, I'll ask him for sure and get back to you; yeah that's kinda sketchy to me too about 3" pots lol. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom