Yes, But Did The Horses Inhale?

SirBlazinBowl

Rather, the Halifax-based company Med Marijuana, which makes Medi-Hooff's an all-natural product in the form of pellets manufactured from the cannabis sativa plant is strictly for health benefits, says co-founder Melanie Stephen.
"It's ideal for helping prevent and restore cracked hooves," she said from a display booth at the Spruce Meadows Masters on Friday.

"It provides faster recovery from exercise, adds muscle mass and is high in omega oils and amino acids." According to the brochure, "Medi-Hooff's is valuable not only for the pleasure immediately provided, but as well for the myriad of health benefits that are provided through its continued use." But there's no psychological effects, said Stephen, as she popped one in her mouth. "I actually put these on my Bran Flakes," she said. "It's just a cannabis seed cake." She added that horses can use the product prior to competitions: "It's one part per million THC, so urine tests are not an issue."

There's been some interesting reactions from shoppers. "I've had a few people raise their eyebrows and one lady said, 'Boy, you're brave,' "she said. "But outside of one person who wouldn't take a brochure, I've had a lot of thumbs-up and people saying, 'It's about time.' "

Rider decides to rest Meredith Michaels-Beerbaum didn't compete on Friday, a day after taking a nasty fall off her horse Souvenir. According to Spruce Meadows officials, the German rider -- who had been taken to Foothills Hospital on Thursday and discharged later that day -- was still feeling dizzy and decided to rest.

The 35-year-old is No. 2 in FEI rankings and reigning World Cup champion with Shutterfly. She isn't expected to compete today, but possibly will return for Sunday's $1-million CN International. To find Eric Lamaze, just look for the man with a cellphone attached to his ear. In between show jumping events, the Schomberg, Ont., resident is addicted to his mobile. "It's mostly work related," chuckled the 37-year-old. "We have a lot of horses and we buy and sell, I'm always in touch with what's going on at home. I love it, I wouldn't be that great just hanging out all week."

Lamaze has also kept busy in the ring, thanks to a string of up-and-coming horses. In the smaller arenas, he's had six top-three finishes including four wins, pocketing $21,650 -- that's with four different horses. Inside the International Ring, he was fourth in the Akita Drilling Cup and sixth in the Prudential Steel Cup. Those performances were aboard Hickstead, a nine-year-old Dutch Warmblood stallion he'll be riding today for Team Canada.
"Tempete was going to be my Nations' Cup horse but he's still recovering from injury ( a bruised foot )," he said. "Hickstead is ready."

Janis Netzel was still glowing hours after her riding lesson from Ian Millar. She won the lesson with the eight-time Olympian after her name was drawn from 7,332 entries, in a national BMO Financial Group contest. "He was just this huge presence," said the 32-year-old civil engineer from Coquitlam, B.C., who received an hour of instruction at the Meadows on a horse named Tequila. "He was full of enthusiasm; I was star-struck." Netzel began in Pony Club and competes in small shows. "( He ) took me through a great warmup, then we jumped a course," she said. "I learned things I can use with my own horse, Gus."

Newshawk: SirBlazinBowl - 420Times.com
Source: Calgary Herald (CN AB)
Copyright: 2005 Calgary Herald
Author: Lauren MacGillivray

Back
Top Bottom