Yes, You Cannabis, But Not In Our Mall

A shopping mall in Aurora, Colorado, has banned John Gailey, a medical marijuana patient, for a year because he insisted on wearing his "Yes We Cannabis" T-shirt on a "family night." The decision seems pretty silly (especially since, as Westword notes, the Spencer Gifts outlet at the very same mall sells marijuana-themed apparel), and it no doubt reflects a government-promoted anti-drug orthodoxy. But is it a violation of Gailey's constitutional rights, as his lawyers claim? Not under the U.S. Constitution, because the First Amendment applies only to government entities. The U.S. Supreme Court has dallied with the idea of applying the First Amendment to private property owners, but it rightly reconsidered. The Colorado constitution's free speech clause, however, is phrased more broadly:

No law shall be passed impairing the freedom of speech; every person shall be free to speak, write or publish whatever he will on any subject, being responsible for all abuse of that liberty.

It seems clear that the second part elaborates on the first, so that both apply to government action. But in 1991 the Colorado Supreme Court interpreted the clause to mean that Westminster Mall had to let activists use "public areas" to "distribute political pamphlets" and "solicit signatures pledging non-violent dissent from the federal government's foreign policy toward Central America." It declared that "the Mall functions as the equivalent of a downtown business district," arguing that "the historical connection between the marketplace of ideas and the market for goods and services is not severed because goods and services today are bought and sold within the confines of a modern mall." Not convinced yet? The court also noted "government involvement"–specifically, "a police substation in the Mall" and "the City's two million dollar purchase, financed through the sale of municipal bonds, of improvements which the Company made to adjacent streets and drainage systems."

Jessica Corry, John Gailey's lawyer, says "the Supreme Court has been clear...that private commercial retail centers that open themselves to the public can function as a town square." Yet the court also allowed Westminster Mall to impose "time, place, and manner" regulations, and in 2001 a state appeals court upheld a very strict set of them. Among other things, those rules required advance permission for "speech activities," limited them to three locations at the mall, and forbade them entirely during especially busy "blackout" periods. Town Square at Aurora's decision to ban drug-themed T-shirts on "family night" seems quite modest by comparison, although Gailey could argue that the rule he violated goes too far because it discriminates against particular viewpoints.

But he shouldn't try. The vast majority of courts to address the issue have rightly rejected the specious reasoning at the heart of the Colorado Supreme Court's decision, which applied a provision aimed at government to private property owners. Just as I have no right to hold a rally in your living room or write an article on your computer without your permission, I have no right to demand freedom of speech inside a commercial building you own. And as I argued a few years ago, when I discussed a California Supreme Court ruling that required a San Diego mall to let union protesters distribute leaflets urging shoppers to boycott one of its tenants, undermining property rights ultimately undermines freedom of speech, which cannot be exercised without them.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Reason Magazine
Author: Jacob Sullum
Copyright: 2010 Reason Magazine

I believe 420 posting this article is hypocritical. If some one post something on this website that the admin does not agree with they will "edit your post" which I feel are other words for censorship. Sometimes the admin will remove a post. If a person continues to post things the admin does not agree with the admin will ban you from this site. If this site has the right to ban some one so does a mall. Freedom of speech just be careful what you say. The man was banned from the mall for wearing a shirt that supports cannabis. A person can be banned from this site for being anti dispensary.
I was kicked out of Disneyland for wearing a shirt of mighty mouse shooting his middle finger.

I also believe the mall has the right to do what they did. I was working as a contractor at a PBR plant, and wore a Budweiser t-shirt to work one day. They didn't send me home, but they didn't like it.

I think it is wrong for the mall security to do this on a freedom of speech aspect, I could understand more if it were an employee at a certain business and that employees boss said that they didn't agree to the shirt for there business, as to this web site kicking someone off that is there same right as the employer (in my opinion) you join this web site as you would join a business as your job, and you need to respect the guidelines set by this web site or your employer, the man at the mall was not an employee of the mall, and his shirt was hurting nobody, it only served as a reason for these mall cops to get there ego trip, again just my opinion. :peace:

they would never kick out a preppy girl for wearing booty shorts and a halter top, they would never kick out a southerner for wearing rebel flag laden dixie outfitter apparel . the issue is us versus them, and it just so happens that they own the mall. and we own... um... we own... you know what? get back to me on that. all the mall wants to do is save face in front of middle class america. now if only middle class america would speak up and say they smoke cannabis too and we can wear all the cannabis shirts we want:ganjamon:

If freetoblaze saying an employer has a right to send you home because he/she doesn't approve of your clothing, this web site has the right to ban you but a mall doesn't have the right to ban you? Why would this website have more rights than a mall? I have seen the "code of conduct" in many malls. You don't have the right to say what ever you want on this website and you don't have the right to say what ever you want in a mall. You can say what ever you want on your own private property.

Back
Top Bottom