Yield Goal: Advise Please

rumplestiltskin

Hey so I have a 600w dual spectrum HPS.

I have a 3x3 grow area and height of 140cm.

My goal is 300-600g total yield.

How many plants do I need to achieve this? I currently have 2

Cheers!

Generally speaking you can grow 1 monster, or 2 big honking plants, or 4 real nice plants or 8 mediums or 16 small ones. Size space environment etc. The edge of a tent ain’t the same as the middle.

Can you do better than this? Sure but it takes time & experience to get dialed in. Best tip, forget the graphs & charts, keep em standing up & green for now. 4 weeks after you flip to flower- start another run.

That’s how you get yield and experience. More experience - more yield.

Best secret = there is no secret, plants take time.

Gotta monitor & control the temp with 600 watts in 3 X 3

With two plants, you may get 225-450. You may get a little more or less than that.

There are so. many. things. that go into the end result.

a) genetics
b) environment (lighting, temps, humidity, etc)
c) growers skill level

I have a 3x3, and I run just a single plant in there. I SCROG, and once the plant fills up about 2/3 of the space (or half if I think it's going to be super stretchy) then I flip. From there I fill the rest of the screen as it stretches. Once it's filled, I let the growth go vertical. It means a little longer veg time, but it isn't that much longer.

First thing, you need the right genetics. Feminized seeds from a reputable breeder. Pick a strain with bigger yields. If you fail at this step, you can't make up for it.

Second, you have to have your environment dialed in for good growth and happy plants. That's everything from light, to temps, to humidity levels, to feeding, to watering.

Third, you have to have the knowledge on how to grow these plants. You can have the best genetics and environment, and still cut yourself short with a lack of knowledge and experience.

You can run 1, 2, 4, 8, 16. That number will be dictated by the style you choose to grow, and the method(s) in which you decide to train them.

I suggest reading the following journal to start:

Now what happens in the end is all up to you. Your biggest problem right now is going to be the heat off that 600w HPS. People do it, but you're going to have to get it figured out and dialed in pretty quickly.

Hey so I have a 600w dual spectrum HPS.

I have a 3x3 grow area and height of 140cm.

My goal is 300-600g total yield.

How many plants do I need to achieve this? I currently have 2

Cheers!
I have a 32" x 32" and one plant takes the whole width, and its about 40" high, I would like 300 grams, but I don't think Ill get there, Ill do better next time.

Right on, good work multivortex!

Hope you've got a hygrometer? If not get one.

That 600 should have dimmable ballast, dial it down. Place hygrometer at 24 inches above the floor & setup your light at 48 to 54 inches above floor. Run lights full day to see what your temps & humidity are.
No, I don't have one, 600 has veg and bloom switch is all it has. The flower height determines the height of the light. It's definitely to close to run both veg and bloom the same time, because of heat. I'm just running bloom now.
Generally speaking you can grow 1 monster, or 2 big honking plants, or 4 real nice plants or 8 mediums or 16 small ones. Size space environment etc. The edge of a tent ain’t the same as the middle.

Can you do better than this? Sure but it takes time & experience to get dialed in. Best tip, forget the graphs & charts, keep em standing up & green for now. 4 weeks after you flip to flower- start another run.

That’s how you get yield and experience. More experience - more yield.

Best secret = there is no secret, plants take time.

Gotta monitor & control the temp with 600 watts in 3 X 3

I don't see a problem with heat for the 600W unless you run both modes together, which you can do until you can't raise light anymore, and by then you are in the bloom stage, the bloom stage is definitely cool enough to be within 4" of light. Unless my light is malfunctioning

As a new grower learn to walk before running. It's like going into a gym the first time and saying "how do i become Mr Universe?".
That being said, if you don't get your heat under control your plants will be stressed and produce airy buds at best. Not what you want to hear but trust me I've been down that road. I've had HUGE plants that produced tons of flower from top to bottom that at a glance you'd swear was at least a LB, but after drying it weighed in at 4oz! Excess heat means less weight.
You could add a portable AC, but at that cost plus all the power it consumes (600 watts +/-) you'd be better served getting some LEDs.
My final thought...Grow for the love of the plant and not to make a quick buck.
Get a few harvests, have some herb to enjoy, learn, enjoy, etc. Best of luck!

As a new grower learn to walk before running. It's like going into a gym the first time and saying "how do i become Mr Universe?".
That being said, if you don't get your heat under control your plants will be stressed and produce airy buds at best. Not what you want to hear but trust me I've been down that road. I've had HUGE plants that produced tons of flower from top to bottom that at a glance you'd swear was at least a LB, but after drying it weighed in at 4oz! Excess heat means less weight.
You could add a portable AC, but at that cost plus all the power it consumes (600 watts +/-) you'd be better served getting some LEDs.
My final thought...Grow for the love of the plant and not to make a quick buck.
Get a few harvests, have some herb to enjoy, learn, enjoy, etc. Best of luck!
I don't sell weed. My big concern is providing heat to my tent. I live in an A/C condo. although I have thermostat set on 76, when it kicks in, the air coming out of vent is 40 F, and the floor temperature stays cooler, and the fans draw that air in. I'm considering putting a heater in for next grow. I posted some photos last night, tops are coming along, but I do think temperature is a problem for me, once my plant reach high enough I had to turn off the veg light. I appreciate your thoughts thank you.

Dude if your temps are that cool with that light you should be good to go!
I know you're probably getting peppered with suggestions of gadgets to buy, but I do highly
recommend picking up a digital laser thermometer ($25 @ home depot). Great for checking the
surface temperature on your leafs and buds!
I was using a light with half that power (315 CMH) in a 2x4 and my temps were easily camping out at 100 F unless I had an AC, exhaust fan at full blast and intake fan at full blast. Then my temps were barely below 90 F. But I'm also in a tropical environment where my garage can be in the 100s half the year.

I know you're probably getting peppered with suggestions of gadgets to buy, but I do highly
recommend picking up a digital laser thermometer ($25 @ home depot). Great for checking the

And they're fun to play with, as well as handy for other stuff too.

that sounds like a good idea, because the air blowing on the plant seems cool to my hand, but that's moving air. I can very comfortably hold my hand under the bloom lights 4" away. thanks I will order one today. I'm just an old retired grew up in the 1960's guy!
Take a look at my tops that I posted last night, and tell me what you think, picture quality aren't that good. thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom