Response from Florida Senator Bill Nelson

CanMan

Just wanted to share this response I received from the Senator in re: my letter in support of legalization. Unfortunately both of the resolutions he mentions died I sub committee and will not come for vote.

Thank you for contacting me regarding medical marijuana policy.
-
---- On October 19, 2009, Attorney General Eric Holder announced formal guidelines for Federal prosecutors in States that have enacted laws authorizing the use of marijuana for medical purposes. -These guidelines help the Drug Enforcement Agency focus its attention on individuals who engage in illegal activities--trafficking, and distributing marijuana under the guise of compliance with State laws. -The Department of Justice reiterated its commitment to the enforcement of the Controlled Substances Act in all States, clearly distinguishing between the legalization of marijuana and its use for medical reasons. -
-
---- Two proposals (HJR 353 and SJR 1028) that would authorize use of medical marijuana are pending in the Florida legislature. -If both measures pass, there would be a referendum on medical marijuana on the ballot in Florida; the measure would have to pass by a 60-percent margin to become law.
-
- - - - - - Please know that I will keep your views in mind should this issue come before the U.S. Senate for a vote. -
-
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- Sincerely,
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- Bill Nelson

Back
Top Bottom