Shouldn't India Legalise Marijuana Now?

Katelyn Baker

Ganja. Pot. Weed. Mary Jane. Cannabis. These are the many names we know marijuana by. It might be illegal but it's also cheap and some even claim that it's healthy. So why is it illegal in the first place?

Until 1985, all forms of cannabis-hashish, ganja and bhang were legally sold in India. Recreational use of marijuana was also completely normal. In 1985, however, the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act was enacted that clubbed marijuana with narcotics such as crack, heroin, cocaine and smack.

It is a known fact that marijuana is commonly used by the youth even though it is illegal. So we asked a few youngsters who love their weed and whether they think marijuana should be legalised.

Anil Kumar*, 24, says, "Weed is perhaps the only drug which doesn't do any harm. When you smoke it, you feel calm and peaceful. As far as I know, it's even used for medicinal purposes. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be legalised."

Dipesh Joshi*, 20, shares the same view. When we ask him why it should be legalised, he answers, "Because it's better than smoking cigarettes. I mean, tobacco is more harmful than marijuana, right? It is completely herbal."

But what about its alleged side-effects?

Anil says that the only side effect he might have had from smoking pot would be memory loss. "I sometimes forget things. I don't exactly know whether it's a side-effect but this didn't happen before."

Dipesh doesn't agree. "I smoke weed once in 3 months. But I haven't experienced anything weird. When I smoke weed my imagination runs wild. And oh, I also feel positive vibes."

When asked if it is better than alcohol, both of them agree.

"Way better than alcohol," says Dipesh, grinning.

We're a generation that shares images of Lord Shiva smoking a blunt on social media. Don't expect us to be self-righteous about what having a good time means.

Even films are incorporating positive portrayal of pot smokers. In Kapoor And Sons (Since 1921), there is a scene that shows an old Rishi Kapoor sharing joints with his grandsons (played by Siddharth Malhotra and Fawad Khan). There's no negativity or bacchanalia going around. Just good ol' family time. Films like Go Goa Gone, Shaitan and Luv Shuv Tey Chicken Khurana have managed to portray pot as an harmless enjoyable substance. This portrayal is unlike the 70s and 80s, when pot was regarded as a symbol of hedonism.

Perhaps it's time the government check the NDPS Act once again and maybe notice that there is a large difference between marijuana and drugs like cocaine, smack, heroin. Legalizing it will bring profits like it did for Portugal. It is now legal in some parts of America too.

Smoking marijuana has been practiced in India for centuries. It's almost a part of our culture. Don't you think marijuana should be legalised?

*Names changed to protect identity.

mary-640x426.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Shouldn't India Legalise Marijuana Now?
Author: Drishti Barot
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom