MA: Amesbury Council Delays Marijuana Vote Until September 12

Ron Strider

City voters will have to wait until September to find out if they will be able to weigh in on a potential ban on the sale of recreational marijuana after a contentious special City Council meeting Tuesday night.

The majority of city voters (58 percent) were in favor of legalizing recreational marijuana in November. But according to City Councilor Bob Lavoie, the question of whether residents would like to see the drug sold within city limits has yet to be answered.

Pointing to the neighboring town of Merrimac, which voted to prohibit the sale of retail marijuana during a special election in June, Lavoie offered a proposal that would place the same question in front of Amesbury voters on the Nov. 7 ballot.

Voters would be asked if they wish to ban the operation of nonmedical marijuana establishments within city limits by way of a simple "yes" or no" vote. These establishments would include testing facilities and retailers but exclude marijuana cultivators and product manufacturers.

Roughly 30 residents turned out for the meeting Tuesday and voiced their unanimous opposition of the ballot proposal.

Anthony Rinaldi of Cedar Street stated simply, "You don't require a ballot initiative to open a liquor store, in my opinion, this is no different."

Virginia Ryan of Lake Street said she would like the city to look at the issue as potential tax revenue.

"I'm not a marijuana smoker, I am not a drinker but if I would like to use marijuana or edibles, I would like to have access to quality," Ryan said. "I am disabled and pain is an issue for me but I choose not to medicate in any way right now. But that may not always be the case. I don't drive and if I can get to it in my town, I would feel a lot better."

Tim Jones of Tremont Avenue said, "I'm not the smartest person in the room, if I were, we would all be in trouble. But if I am handed $10, I would take it."

"I don't want to be that town that becomes that guy wishing we said 'yes' when we said 'no,'" Jones said.

Lavoie, an Amesbury native, stated his opposition to retail marijuana sales in his hometown to audible disagreement from the audience.

"I think it is critical that the voters speak to the issue," Lavoie said. "Does everybody in the community believe as I do? No. But the true test of that is to put it on the ballot."

A flurry of amendments to Lavoie's measure were offered by multiple councilors, including Pam Gilday and Steve Stanganelli, before the proposal was put to a vote.

But the vote never occurred after Stanganelli and Councilor Jonathan Sherwood objected to taking it. The measure will once again be on the City Council's agenda when it meets Sept. 12.

Saying he believes the ballot question is unnecessary, Stanganelli added that he feels "misconceptions and fear" have driven the proposed marijuana prohibition.

"It is also a matter that promotes individual liberty and choice, and isn't that what we're supposed to promote?" Stanganelli said. "Have we not yet learned that prohibition of any substance does not work?"

Dispensary_in_Mass_-_Angela_Rowlings.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Amesbury council delays marijuana vote until Sept. 12 | News | newburyportnews.com
Author: Jim Sullivan
Photo Credit: Angela Rowlings
Website: newburyportnews.com | Greater Newburyport's local news source

Back
Top Bottom