Cloning from old plant in bud?

xcaret

420 Member
I have one plant that is producing buds on the end of each stalk. ( I only have the one plant) I read up on cloning and it seems I need a branch that is going to grow longer and become a bud eventually. All my branches have buds at the end. I tried cloning with just a branch with leaves on it , and no shoots, but it didn't grow roots. I read about old plants being saved to take clones off of. If I harvest my buds ,( in a month or so ) can I get the plant to sprout cloneable branches? Where will I find info on this ? I searched but to no avail.

xcaret,

I dont know where you read that info about clones, but I'm thinking maybe you read it wrong. You can of course take cuttings from a plant that has buds on it or not and make a good plant from there. If it does have buds, it will take longer to get it turned around and growing new roots as it will have to revert back into the veg cycle. Other than that, you can totally do what you want to do with the cuttings. The comment where you said you need a branch thats going to grow longer, huh? Who the heck knows how long a branch is going to grow, LOL.

The one clone you tried to grow. How many nodes did it have on it? How many sets,of leafs did it have on it? If you wait to harvest your plant and then seek clones, you can do this but it will be a LOT harder to make a sustainable clone to live. If you want more info on how to clone then you're in the right place. Just go up about the post and and tap the icon for for search. From there just type in " how to take cuttings for clones", or something like that. Also when I laughed I wasn't making fun of you, I was only laughing at what was said. Anyhow, good luck with your clones, they are pretty easy to do. Get back with us if you need anymore help, take care.

Hey JimmyV ,I read my post too and laughed at me wanting to clone a branch that will grow longer , ( don't we all ) . What I was meaning was that I took a side branch off that was dead ended, it had one set of big leaves at the end and wasn't one that had nodes or would ever sprout more stem. Where the leaves all came out , there was no little sprout that would continue growing and eventually produce more sets of leafs. All my branches that have nodes on them are growing buds at the ends , and here and there along the branch. Can I just cut one ,bud and all , and clone it? Sounds kinda like it would be starved for nutrientrs with the bud still trying to grow., I think what I did wrong was selecting a branch with no nodes.
I did a search before asking but didn't find anything about branches covered in buds. I'll look again ,for "old mother plants" or something.
Thanks for the info.

Xcaret,

From what it sounds like you're saying, you should be able to clone that! As far as the bud on the end, like I was saying it will just take longer for it to root. Since it has to go back to veg and then go from there. On a typical clone you'll end up saving about a months worth of grow time! But doing it like you're talking about, you'll probably be looking at a time frame for growing thats equal to a regular grow. Meaning you wont be cutting any time off your grow because the cutting has to revert back to the veg cycle. But the good news is if it roots you're getting a FREE PLANT!! You just probably wont cut any time off your entire grow but thats not really that big of a deal!

Here's a new train of thought for you. The plant that you're taking the clone off of, it you're careful you can clone the entire plant! How nice would that be! Time wise yet again it probably wont help with that, but you'll have a very nice sizes clone that you'll be starting all over again with. You'll get to miss the time of the grow thats so critical when they are just a seedling! And then the transition from the veg to flowering which can stress a younger plant out as well. You'll already have a healthy plant thats just starting over! I plan on doing that or at least trying that with my next grow as well. Heck why wouldn't anyone try it. Like I said before its just like getting a free plant!

Well, good luck with whichever way you decide to go! After you make your mind up, post what way you went with. Hey here's also another one two punch for you. Take the clone like you're wanting to do. But then still clone the entire plant as well. This is like an infomercial, haha. But wait theres more, thats right you heard it right! For a limited amount of growers you'll not only get the one free clone but we will also throw in another full clone as well, LMAO!! Man I should be in show biz, lol. Well, keep us posted, take care!!

Thank you Jimmy, I'm going to clone just one branch for now, but what happens after I harvest all the buds from my mother plant? And how do I know when to harvest them? I remember reading somewhere that the plant can be made to produce another crop, but if that's right how come growers start cloning ?? hmmm probably bogus info. Once I get a single branch started growing roots I think I'll try to clone the mother plant. Next time I'll take cuttings from branches with shoots coming out of the end and several sets of side branches. I havn't grown any since the early 70's and back then you just planted a few seeds that came in a dime bag ( $10 oz of pot) lol.
p.s. I'm also going to try scraping the cambium layer off part of a branch and putting some peatmoss on it and growth hormone ,then wrap it in saranwrap and see if it sprouts roots , I simplified that , but I have an article to refer to as I go along . This is fun.

Xcaret,

Hey brother long time no post, hows it all going?? Did you get that one to pop some roots? Just checking in with you man, let me know something when you can as I was just wondering about you and that clone, take care!!

Back
Top Bottom