1000watt vs 200 watt cfl

Justin28

I'm a first time grower. I hear a lot about using a 200 watt cfl for veg. growth. So that's how I started. A couple weeks into growing I came across a 1000 watt metal halide so I switched to that running it 18/6. Which light should I be using and is it bad to switch like that.

As long as heat isn't an issue, they will explode with growth with the 1000 watt MH bulb. You did your plants a huge favor. When you switch to flower, grab an HPS bulb (& a ballast if the one you have isn't switchable).

how many plants you're planting to harvest ?? if you growing 2-3 plants , you dont need that much .

That all depends on how you define need. So long as you can keep the heat under control, more light is always better. 1000 watt metal halide is way better than 200w CFL. If I could I'd use a 1000w i would, but I don't trust the wiring in the wall less be able to control that much heat lol

Well depends on how many plants your are growing under the veg lights !

A 200w cfl will be more than fine for a single to a few plants in small area of a couple of foot square.

1000w more practical for a few to several plants... more likely will have heat issues so good ventilation, air cooled hoods would be advisable.

But all depends on the hike in your electric bill to what or how many plants you are growing tho :thumb:

I have 4 under it now and plan on 4 more. Since the last post I have decided to germ and veg for a couple of weeks under the 200 watt cfl using only super thrive. Then slowly move them to the 1000 w MH. It is very hot but I have plenty of space an ac and clean air. It's pretty steady at 77 F and hovers around 44 humidity. I have fox farm on the way and very exited to see some results.

I would keep the 1000W but don't run it all the time.

I would go like this.
200W CFL 6 hours on, then kick on the 1000W for 2 hours, and kick the 200W off.
at the 7 hour and 45 minute mark, the CFL would come back on then the 1000W would go off.
Run the CFL for another 8 hours then kick the 1000W on for the last 2 of the 18/6.

Then in 12/12
I would come on with the cfl for 2 hours, then 2 of the 1000 W, then 4 of the cfl, then 4 of the 100W then dark for 12 hours.

The key is not to have the lights go off while the day cycle is going. If it is the day cycle, the lights must overlap each-other as to not go dark. and the waning light from CFL to 1000W should not be more than 4.5 hours during the 12/12 day cycle. Always end with the most intense light to pitch black...

I have a friend that runs, Morning window sunlight for 3 hours, then 4 hours of T5 then 4.5-5 hours hps. He is always blasting the light right before the dark cycle. You would think that the the taper-off of light would be better, because of the sun, but it is not... The plants react to the chemical changes in the metabolism based on the light period. SO, bright then dark.

Back
Top Bottom