1st Grow - 400W - WIFI OG

ToneLaFlame

This is my first grow and I'm really excited to see what I can get from a 400w light. I have extra seeds but decided I only want to run 3 for the first time to see hi it turns out. May add one clone from from a local dispensary but I'm not sure yet. I've heard you can do a lot with a 400w so I'm just trying it out myself to see if I can get the results I've seen some people here get. Here's what I have to work with...

3 WIFI OG 2 7 gallon pots and 1 3 gallon all smart pots (all about a week old)
400w hps with mini fan in area
Used a mixture of cheap soil from lowes about 40% of that and 60% peat moss
No nutes used yet would like some advice as to what to use if not will go with doc farm products.
I have one plant already started the spiral lst and plan to try other techniques with the other two.
Any suggestions on nutes and other growing methods to use for my other two plants would be greatly appreciated.

Wish me luck and sub up it'll be an interesting one!

just be careful when you get clones from anywhere but yourself you don't know if your gonna bring someone elses problems into your grow
Subbed:thumb:

True that. The one time I got gifted clones from a friend was the one time I got gifted spider mites- had them for almost 2 years on and off till I managed to terminate all the little F@$&€rs. If it's not too late- perlite is a nice thing to add to the soil too. Helps a bit to counter possible overwatering problems. A little lime dug in there too helps against the acidic peat moss- but you'll be ok without too.

just be careful when you get clones from anywhere but yourself you don't know if your gonna bring someone elses problems into your grow
Subbed:thumb:

Yea @chronichemphog and @Weaselcracker I've been very wary about trusting other growers not that I'm an expert but for the exact reason you guys are talking about. I'm gonna get some pics up to show exactly what I have after work and you guys tell me what you think. Thanks for subbing and being a part of my grow and welcome!

image21939.jpg
image21938.jpg
image21941.jpg
image21937.jpg

image21937.jpg

These are my three plants. The first is the strongest one of the three, secondly is the one I am lst'ing early and the one on the stake grew wayyy too tall and started to lean over when the lights would go off so I had to tie it up I'll give it another week to strengthen up and that was the one I was thinking of swapping with the clone. What do you think of the lst tho did I start too early it started growing kinda slow ever since but it's only been out 3 days.

you could have added a bit more soil but everyone has different techniques and ideas
they are looking good so far tho :thumb:

Personally I'd probably wait another week or so till they are stronger and growing leaves at a faster rate before doing much lst or trimming because I figure they need leaves (and more roots) to make leaves. Also they are so delicate and spindly at this tender age. I suppose the point of starting early may be to get them down as low as possible for height restrictions or a scrog- but this can still be achieved later somewhat if you want, by bending them down. Also- I'm kind of losing interest in having them super low because they're hard to work under. But really- it's just up to you how you want to do it you're certainly not doing anything wrong I'm just tossing those thoughts out there in case it gives you ideas.
Also- it's hard to tell from here -but if your soil does seem to be overly dense or poorly draining then you'll want to keep an eye on that for sure.
How far away is the light- and is it at 400 watts now? (not dimmed I mean)

Personally I'd probably wait another week or so till they are stronger and growing leaves at a faster rate before doing much lst or trimming because I figure they need leaves (and more roots) to make leaves. Also they are so delicate and spindly at this tender age. I suppose the point of starting early may be to get them down as low as possible for height restrictions or a scrog- but this can still be achieved later somewhat if you want, by bending them down. Also- I'm kind of losing interest in having them super low because they're hard to work under. But really- it's just up to you how you want to do it you're certainly not doing anything wrong I'm just tossing those thoughts out there in case it gives you ideas.
Also- it's hard to tell from here -but if your soil does seem to be overly dense or poorly draining then you'll want to keep an eye on that for sure.
How far away is the light- and is it at 400 watts now? (not dimmed I mean)

Yea I started early to try and follow this pic I saw where it goes around the pot and that's how it said to start but we will see how it comes out. And the soil drains ok it leaks thru the bottom of the pot when I water so I think it's ok. Light is 400w on and elec ballast at 100% it has a super lumen setting but I heard its not good for the light.

Maybe dimming the bulb shortens its life a bit. I have heard something like that but never bothered to check the facts. I've been using switchable ballasts for about 5 years now and haven't noticed any problems. I usually only change the bulbs about once a year which is probably not often enough but again I haven't noticed a difference and I haven't brought in a light meter to check the bulb decline. It's convenient to be able to dim them. If the bulb doesn't last quite as long it's a pretty small price to pay so I don't worry about it. I have a few seedlings the same size as yours at the moment and they're about 20" or maybe a bit less from a 400 mh and could probably be a bit closer and be fine.
If your pot of soil is taking about 5 days or less to dry between waterings then it's ok. If at stays wet and heavy for a week or more after watering it's going to cause your plant some problems.

its why it good to start in a smaller pot so the roots can drink it up and let it dry out
too big of a pot to start actually slows growth if the soil stay wet too long

I would say the soil dries out maybe every 3-4 days I try to water so that it doesn't get fully wet but only wet about 3 inch diameter to the stem so that it doesn't over soak. My babies grew a little over the past few days. My poor lst one is struggling so I'm gonna hope he gets back up to speed but everything looks good to the eye that isn't exactly expert (mine) lol
image22112.jpg
image22113.jpg
image22111.jpg

And I moved the light down to about 8 inches above them and switched to super lumens on the ballast so let's see where I get with this new lighting adjustment

18" my bad. And I woke up last night to see if the light was off and found out I didn't have the timer on so they have been on24 hopefully tonight they goto 18-6 not sure which is better but I rather run off and on to save a little bulb.

Yea that makes sense. If I were to add 2 clones from a trusted source a dispensary my homie got some from would that be ok to put the in the same tent or would that take quality away from the bitches already occupying the space.?

Back
Top Bottom