1st time grower having germinating problems!

Thanks for the pic of the sprouted seed Amsterdam. I haven't seen this on anything I've tried, but it's very helpful to know exactly what to look for.

I followed your directions and there are now 2 new seeds in a file cabinet. I will neither open the drawer nor the door for 48 hours. In fact, I won't even *think* about them for 48 hours! Okay, that last one is unlikely, but I'll leave 'em alone 'til Sunday.

My brother thinks I should change my 420 name to Germinator Terminator! LOL!

In the grand scheme of things, probably better to have a seed never sprout than to kill a plant a couple months into your grow. You'll get past these speed bumps soon man...but until then...Germinator Terminator it is!

btw, I know exactly how it goes to be impatient with them. I get like that at every new stage. Right now I am still waiting to harvest my first grow, probably have another 3-4 weeks I am guessing. Every day I can't wait to check on how the buds look. For my younger plants though, even though I care, I don't need to see them every second now since I already know what to expect. What I'm saying is, if I were to germinate a seed now I probably wouldn't even think about it for those 2 days and in a couple months you will likely be the same way and these growing pains will just be something you laugh about.

Can't wait to hear about your progress AFTER the weekend :thumb:

I checked on your grow a little while ago, and it looks great!

Watch for a post from me Monday morning, AFTER the weekend! :thumb: Fingers crossed, and send some good vibes southward!

Hey I had some problems a few years ago. I tried a lot of different methods and advice. Finally I boiled some water. Cooled it to room temp. Added some bleach and washed the seeds for about a minute. Put them in wet paper towel on a saucer covered with plastic wrap and set them on a heating pad. 80% sprouted over night. Apparently there can be spores or fungi dry on the seeds and as soon as you wet them these little terrors are activated with moisture. I have told my friends about this and they laugh. It worked for me thats all I know

Thanks, Seedback! What water to bleach ratio so you use?

Usually 1/2 to 1 teaspoon in 1 cup of luke warm water. I usually put mix in a glass jar with lid. Shake it up for a few seconds and then dry them off in paper towel. A clean environment is key for some of these hybrid seeds. I dont soak them in it cuz bleach may kill the seed too just wash them. This was the only thing that worked for me in damp season starts as i gro out of doors. Good luck. I hope it works for you. P.S. get a heating pad kit from the garden center most seeds will sprout in one or two days. They love the warmth.

Monday morning update: no germination, so back they go for another 48 hours.

Thanks for the info, Seedback. I wonder if the humidity here in the Deep South plays a role in my germination troubles? The air conditioning is set at 78, but it's still somewhat humid in the house.

Any southerners out there who have experience with this?

Hey buddy,
I germinate my seeds in moist paper towel..Ive never cleaned em, or used bleach or soaked em in water for 24hrs.
Moisten the paper towel so its wet, place it on a saucer or woteva, on ur window sill or under a lamp light and within 24-48 hrs it should have split open and a tap root should have emerged. As long as you keep the paper moist, and dont let it dry out, just a few drops of water over it here and there to keep it moist.
Once the tap root appears it ready for planting. Get your soil mix ready in ur pot or cup, and fill with the soil. Make hole about 2cm deep, NOT MUCH MORE THAN THIS. And wet the soil some, stick it in the light,sun or what your using and it should emerge from the top soil after about 2 days.. I havent had any drama s doing it this way.. If the seed is too far down in soil it may just die as some other members have experienced, and IMO there is no reason to soak a seed in a cup of water or such. Seeds dont naturally grow in a pool of water, warmth and moisture is the key..
Hope you have some luck soon buddy!! LAter, Smokem..

Yes dude I usually just use clean water and cloth or paper towel with my mini green house with a heat pad for seedlings and they usually pop in a day or two. The bleach wash is extreme but it was so damp here on the east coast the past couple of years that I had to use it. By looking at the pictures of her seed she needs to buy or find a friend with some good starters. The ones she has look like they have been through the mill buoy. I had a few a couple of years ago that I put too deep and thought they died. Left em in the window and went to clean up after the rest were on their way. Low an behold they were hanging out of the cups as healthy as can be. Shocking in a good way :) This forum is great. I have been growing my own for years but this is the first time on a forum. I think it is great for new growers. Everyone should be doing their own. It is a nice hobby with benefits. I even experimented with some breeding. After all, Variety is the spice of life eh!!!!!!

Hi Seedback,

You're right -- the seeds in the pictures weren't the best in the world, but a friend gave them to me. Otherwise, I had nothing.

I purchased some Northern Lights seeds from buydutchseeds.com, and am still having germination troubles.

Just wanted to be clear that I'm working with a different strain of seeds now.

Thanks!

I used to like the paper towel, but I am now convinced the direct in media close to or the same as what you will eventually grow in is the best method, and the one I am having way better success with.

How many other plants get started between paper towels or in glasses of water. Maybe in elementary school science experiments. Maybe even some prize winning orchards for all I know. My point is if a seed is good, it should have no problem germinating like nature intended it to. If it doesn't sprout in a week, so be it. I usually wait 2 weeks before I actually pitch it and give up. But if there is no sprout in a week, I do start another.

And if it does sprout, it's off and running from the get go. That root is on the job doing what is was made to do. No shock to the sensitive root.

This is a Original Berry that sprouted in 3 days. Scarcified it a bit. Only soaked it for 2 hours because I had forgot to do it earlier in the evening, I usually soak 5 or 6. Put in dirt 12:15AM Wednesday. Out of the dirt Saturday morning. Sprouted under 23w cfl for light and warmth. Next day she went direct under 600w HPS 24" away.

This is her one week later.

G9_BB_1_wk.jpg

Hi Hash Hound. Good to hear from you again. Thanks for the picture and the reminder to KISS. Do you mind telling me where you get your seeds?

Hey right on I love to see fellow growers have success. Please continue to grow and experiment. It is a rewarding hoby and once it is in your blood you cant stop. Also good if you have health issues. I started because of my back problems. Prescription pills will wreck your stomach. this stuff, so far has had no adverse effects. One a day keeps the doctor away :)

I put the little dear in pre-watered soil, sprinkled a little bit of soil on top, and put it under 2 23w CFLs. When should I check it for watering?

Back
Top Bottom