2700K Or 6500K For Seedlings? HID Best? Conflicting Info Found.

Six9

My closet is converted and I'm ready to germ my seeds. Question is on lighting... here's what I have: one 600w digital ballast w/ wing reflector, one MH at 6500K, one HPS at 2000K. Also have four ccfls with 24watt bulbs in both 2700K and 5000K.

I planned to run the 2700K ccfls for seedlings, I have read they're good for seedlings and that 2700K is ideal.

I have read that ccfls should be considered support lighting only, and HID is the way to go. Also that spacing is important, and it's best to use a blue spectrum bulb as it will encourage strong and healthy stem and leaf growth.

What gives, 2700K ccfls or full on 6500K MH with adequate spacing? Advice please :)

Normally people use 6500k (blue spectrum) light for germinating, seedlings, clones and veg.

2700k for flowering as that is more red/orange colour of the spectrum which promotes flowering.

CFL can be placed with in a couple of inches of your plants for good results.

MH / metal halide 600w you will being looking at 45cm to 60cm hanging height any close you are more likely burn your seedlings.

I'm really not to sure why some sites suggest 2700k is good for germinating or seedlings as it vastly the wrong colour spectrum & makes very little common sense to me ?

Thanks Fuzzy that helps. I think I'll use 5000K cfl bulbs over each plant, and switch to MH 6500K when they're ready.

UGH! I just tested system, 88-90F with 600w MH bulb running. I raised it up a bit and increased fan speeds, little improvement. Now I see why air cooled reflectors are preferred over a wing reflector!!

Shifting gears.. I just bought a Mars II 900w LED. I hope it's not too much, I was considering the 700w model but want nice buds. Darn it, another week..

Yeah the only downfall to HID's, the temps. That LED should work wonders for you, temps won't be nearly as high. And you save on electricity :)

Sounds good to me. It's all new to me, live and learn I guess. Glad I found the post on Mars Hydro LED, decent price and people are getting results. Cooler, cheaper to run, nice results, sounds good! Think I'll grab a couple LED bulbs and use them under canopy, save a few watts there too. Thanks for the reassurance!

Back
Top Bottom