3x3ft with 600w HPS?

dwayspecalist

420 Member
Hello, admins can you please move to the correct location as I am new to the forum, thank you!

-- I have a cabinet 3x3ft, with 3.5 ft height. I am wanting to grow one or two plants, I'll have a carbon filter with a fan ducting it to outside, will a HPS 600w be to hot for this room or okay?

Depends on your ambient temps (outside the cabinet) and the efficiency of your fan. Is it dimmable?
The light is not dimmable, it's omega lighting, it does say vented for cooler operation I don't understand how that works, and It's UK so winter is decently cold and summer can get quite hot not as bad as USA or anything

The light is not dimmable, it's omega lighting, it does say vented for cooler operation I don't understand how that works, and It's UK so winter is decently cold and summer can get quite hot not as bad as USA or anything
Are you looking to buy it or do you already have it? I think the vented hood means that the bulb is enclosed and that air is vented...winter is easier to begin experimenting because always easier to cool naturally.

I might think twice before buying that. I have a 4'x4'x7' tent for my flowers and I use 600watts HPS. Have a 6" exhaust fan to remove the air and I leave my tent open to help keep the heat down. Only close it after the lights go off, or for emergency's. Are you going to keep it closed all the time? Maybe a 250watt?

AzLaker
:cool:

I might think twice before buying that. I have a 4'x4'x7' tent for my flowers and I use 600watts HPS. Have a 6" exhaust fan to remove the air and I leave my tent open to help keep the heat down. Only close it after the lights go off, or for emergency's. Are you going to keep it closed all the time? Maybe a 250watt?

AzLaker

I said about a 250watt on another forum and they said that the lights arent enough for a 3x3?

The height alone concerns me like Chris said. If you want to go that route, get a 250, a couple of T-5's on each side and you'll be golden.

AzLaker

Light thickness=12" ish
Distance from plants =16"-24" depends on veg or flower

So leaves you about foot for pot and plant

Understand why I'm saying 3.5' is too short

I have grown in a 3 x 2 x 4' box, also wooden with LED's, as my old set up. My current set up has HPS and it a 4 x 4 x 7 1/2' tent with a cooling tube, so I'm pretty familiar with the effects of both lights.

IMHO you're headed in the wrong direction with a HPS light. The heat (which will be hard to maintain/disperse) and the head room (as unlike LED you definitely need a bit of a buffer between the bottom of the light and the plant.)

In my old box I ran 2 x 600w LED's and they worked great. The reality is regardless of which light you have in there the growing conditions as a whole will determine your yield. I think with that HPS you're going to regret it fairly quick.

Also keep in mind you have 42" to play with. Your pot will eat the better part of 12", your light will need a heat shield and a bit of space from the roof, so that will eat up 6", then the light itself is 6", and a buffer of another 6" as you cant have your plants right on the light (I would add that 6" is tighter than I would let my plants come to the light).

That brings us to 12" of room to grow. Even if you're a master LST artist flowering a plant in that amount of space will be expert level / impossible to do.

Just my 2 cents.

Moss.

Back
Top Bottom