Cooling tent with 600w?

MitchConnor

I just recently bought a 600w Hps for my GL80 grow tent. Its roughly 3x3x6.

If I have a 4in inline cooling only the light and another 4in inline with carbon filter to exchange air in the tent will that be enough?

2 if possible.

or maybe a single powerfull 8..

just leave one side of your sealed hood open, and have it pull air off the light and from the tent, then out the carbon filter to kill 2 birds with 1 stone...

i still think 2 6's would work better though.

casue remember... you want this to work even in summer heat... and the more air flow the better imo..

you might be able to get away with 2 4" ones. way back i had a 400hps in a reflector, not air cooled or anything.. and a 6" 435cfm exhaust, with passive intake from outside... and i typically sat at 81F in the summer. 78F in the cooler months... never did run it in the winter.

mind you i also ran a big clunky ballast for the 400W in the same room, as well as a few CFL's...
the room was also 8x3x8 so... quite a bit larger, therefore harder to heat up... in a smaller space you need more exhaust..

if you already have a 4" ... try a 4 in your hood, and a 6" in the tent... if you dont have fans yet... i still lean towards 2 6"

either way.. i think if your going to spend the money to do it... do it right, so you only have to do it once.

edit: the bigger you go for fans the better... you can always get a fan speed control and turn them down a bit so they are not as loud, and last longer. you can also dial in your temps depending on what time of year it is... when its colder, slow them down, and when its warmer, speed them up. and also...
summer= vent outside
winter = vent inside.
saves on heating bills, depending where you live i guess... where i am it hits -40F

I think I'll go with just an 8". Get a speed controller.

Just wondering is there a temp control that I can get that will have a sensor at plant level to keep a steady temp?

yeah, have a thermostat break the power line to your fan... same way you would wire a fan speed controller. that way you can preset the thermostat, and it owuld work just like in a house (just wire it backwards so it breaks the line when it hits just below temp, and engages just over)

or just tweak the fan controller every so often... have a digital thermometer on an alarm with highs and lows... when it hits too high it sounds the alarm... and tells you its time to tweak the fan speed, same when it hits a low...

should only have to tweak every couple months.

either way, a good 8" should move about twice the air that a good 6" will move... so, you should be ok.. (roughly 650-750cfm) just make sure to get a fan speed controller as that way overkill in the cold months.

im just a big fan of buying overkill, and tweaking it down, just to ensure you never have problems... plus, if you're not running your equipment balls to the wall, it'll last longer.. and if you are buying a fan.. might as well spend the extra.. $50? to get the better one that will probably allow an upgrade later on, or adding some cfls, or whatever.

So do you have to rewire a speed controller also? I'm also running supplemental led in the tent too so the 8" should get the job done well.

i think some come with just a plug on either end...

mine didnt... but i just wired plugs on each side, so it could easily be put in and taken out with no hassel.

I ended up going with a six inch rated at 430cfm. It comes with a carbon filter. I feel like an eight inch would suck my tent up. Lol.

Fair enough, you should be fine. Worst case senario there is other ways to cool it down in the hot summer months. Or just live with it. If it even comes to that.

My temps even in the last week have been from 20F to 55F outside. Gotta love Ohio. The house is around 63F most of the time so it should work out good and if not a $60 4in dedicated to only the light is the next move.

i dont understand how everyone can stand to have their houses in the 60's lol. i keep it at no less than 70... occasionally it will hit 68-69 but, thats when im running to turn up the heat :p

That's why you gotta have a snuggie man lol. No central air so gotta take in the cold when I can. And makes up for running 1000w for a grow.

nibec said:
Fair enough, you should be fine. Worst case senario there is other ways to cool it down in the hot summer months. Or just live with it. If it even comes to that.

I also got a 600hps and no matter what fan you have in that amount of space will still not bring the temps down, as way to much heat is being produced from the light and the amount of heat in such little space is not to good. Can cause stunted growth which causes the stomata in the leafs to close up and if growing with hydro like myself then high temps will cause your plants to dehydrate and only drink the water from the reservoir then making your reservoir spike caused even more probs like deficiencies. My set up is 600hps,tent is 3.5x3.5x5.5or 1x1x1.6 metre. Extraction fan@ 554cfm with temp+speed control with 2 oscillating fans and temps are 83-86f and with this my temps where high like 93f. if I had sorted it out earlier is have had bigger yeilds just waiting for the triches to turn Amber.
I think on my next grow I will purchase a cooltube with a decent reflector as the cheap ones apparently are not as good.

I also got a 600hps and no matter what fan you have in that amount of space will still not bring the temps down, as way to much heat is being produced from the light and the amount of heat in such little space is not to good. Can cause stunted growth which causes the stomata in the leafs to close up and if growing with hydro like myself then high temps will cause your plants to dehydrate and only drink the water from the reservoir then making your reservoir spike caused even more probs like deficiencies. My set up is 600hps,tent is 3.5x3.5x5.5or 1x1x1.6 metre. Extraction fan@ 554cfm with temp+speed control with 2 oscillating fans and temps are 83-86f and with this my temps where high like 93f. if I had sorted it out earlier is have had bigger yeilds just waiting for the triches to turn Amber.
I think on my next grow I will purchase a cooltube with a decent reflector as the cheap ones apparently are not as good.

in a tent, or small room you NEED a sealed hood or cooltube. they suck the heat off the light (most of it) before it reaches the grow space. the bigger the fan on the light the better, use the smaller fan for exchanging air.

Yeah I am running a 600 wattt supersun II 6" Air cooled hood. all insulated ducting with a 440 cfm inline fan cooling the light and exhausting the tent. It works to keep my tent just at or below 80 degrees.

The ambient air temp in my place is 73-75. In the summer I will have another 6" inline fan exhausting and the other 6" will be to cool the light.

The one 6" will work for the winter especially in ohio!

My tent is a little bigger than yours too. so there should be no issues.

:420:

nibec said:
in a tent, or small room you NEED a sealed hood or cooltube. they suck the heat off the light (most of it) before it reaches the grow space. the bigger the fan on the light the better, use the smaller fan for exchanging air.

Tent is 1×1*1.6metre
Lighting is 600hps:
Nutrient is Dutch Pro Bloom a&b,dutch pro Explode, Additive are pk13/14 by plant magic bloom boost
I think this is what I need to do to update my hardware, as.my temps was 93.+ and I shelled out on a decent exhaust fan with temp/speed and my heat is 83°.f so my next step will be to purchase a air cooled good as i'm not to sure bout them cooltube light distribution so any info would be great thanx.

if you get a cooltube, or any sealed unit, hookup the exhaust to that instead of the grow space, and just leave the other end open, and not going all the way through the tent. this will immediatly drop your temps as its pulling a huge majority of heat off the light before it has time to enter the grow space.

of course the BEST way to do it, is have one exhaust fan cooling your light, and one exhaust fan venting the grow space. but, if you have a nice powerfull fan you can get away with doing both at the same time.

a cooltube, or sealed hood, will reduce the light getting to your plant, more so if the glass is dusty/dirty.

however, the fact you can get your light WAY closer to your plants vs without a cooltube or sealed hood, makes up for it + more.

nibec said:
if you get a cooltube, or any sealed unit, hookup the exhaust to that instead of the grow space, and just leave the other end open, and not going all the way through the tent. this will immediatly drop your temps as its pulling a huge majority of heat off the light before it has time to enter the grow space.

of course the BEST way to do it, is have one exhaust fan cooling your light, and one exhaust fan venting the grow space. but, if you have a nice powerfull fan you can get away with doing both at the same time.

a cooltube, or sealed hood, will reduce the light getting to your plant, more so if the glass is dusty/dirty.

however, the fact you can get your light WAY closer to your plants vs without a cooltube or sealed hood, makes up for it + more.

Just bought a cool tube and I have a 550cfm temp control venting my grow/ carbon filters and I also have a 175cfm extraction fan bring cold air in to grow so do I leave this one in side of tent will I have to buy a two way connection to bring cold air into the light cooling it the into the 2 way peice them my main fan where I already got it ontop ov the tent and filters is inside at too of tent

Back
Top Bottom