4.0ph but doing well?

vonwolfen

I have 2 UK cheese(Cheese), 2 Querkles, etc...The Cheese, Querkles are in Grow Boxes, organic soil, foxfarm nutes, the clones where dated june 6 and planted june 8, one querkle is over 7 feet tall and at least equal in diameter round it looks extremely healthy but its PH in 4.1...the UK cheese are starting to have their leaves turn up and look burned PH is even lower at 4.0(I have added dolomite, both liquid, and in pellets to the Cheese for fast change to 6.0ph)..
My question what should I do about the Querkle? leave it(it is extemely healthy at least right now), or add dolomite?

I have 2 UK cheese(Cheese), 2 Querkles, etc...The Cheese, Querkles are in Grow Boxes, organic soil, foxfarm nutes, the clones where dated june 6 and planted june 8, one querkle is over 7 feet tall and at least equal in diameter round it looks extremely healthy but its PH in 4.1...the UK cheese are starting to have their leaves turn up and look burned PH is even lower at 4.0(I have added dolomite, both liquid, and in pellets to the Cheese for fast change to 6.0ph)..
My question what should I do about the Querkle? leave it(it is extemely healthy at least right now), or add dolomite?

keep an eye on the querkle. I would gradualy bring the pH up over the next few waterings as a 4.1 pH will almost def lead to eventual lockout. How exaclty are you measuring the soil pH?

Also dolomite pellets probably aren't going to do much good. SHould be pulverized to allow for absorption by the plant roots.

McBudz
I have a Pro-grad ph tester(Kelway)...Its how I test...sometimes I use a water/soil sample(with the little color capsules)...What is odd is I had not done anything about my soil PH at 6.9-7.0 4 weeks ago, and now it's so low. I only check ph every 3-4 weeks...That will now change..once a week. As far as the pellets, I crushed a handful down and dissolved them in water, added them to the cheese, and querkle.............I just realized a problem they are in a grow box(new), and when I planted I added their ferts, as of 5 weeks ago I started using fox farms, could this be the problem?Synthetic to organic? I add black molasses...

Ms. Fox
I wish I could...but they are so close to harvest, and this is my "first time"(I wish they had been more gentle). I just cant leave well enough alone...Gotta fix it...

McBudz
I have a Pro-grad ph tester(Kelway)...Its how I test...sometimes I use a water/soil sample(with the little color capsules)...What is odd is I had not done anything about my soil PH at 6.9-7.0 4 weeks ago, and now it's so low. I only check ph every 3-4 weeks...That will now change..once a week. As far as the pellets, I crushed a handful down and dissolved them in water, added them to the cheese, and querkle.............I just realized a problem they are in a grow box(new), and when I planted I added their ferts, as of 5 weeks ago I started using fox farms, could this be the problem?Synthetic to organic? I add black molasses...

Ms. Fox
I wish I could...but they are so close to harvest, and this is my "first time"(I wish they had been more gentle). I just cant leave well enough alone...Gotta fix it...

You added ferts into the soil mix? then started adding fox farm nute in addition too? I would choose one and stay with it until you are more experienced with it. I would not add to the soil mix and just use liquid ferts when you water so you have control of what goes in and can flush out of you mess up.

Also the moss in most soil mixes breaks down over time and causes the soil to become more acidic. Adding the pulverized lime into the soil helps buffer the pH and prevents huge negative pH shifts. Just dont add too much or you will be fighting to keep it down below 7. Several flushes and you'll be able to remove most excess lime.

i would correct the pH problem, even if they look healthy its not good for the roots. when i first started the plants seemed healthy til the last 3 weeks of flowering then they got burnt to death... i got a pH meter and the it was around 4.2, the yield was pretty low

Flurple...Yes thank I am in the processes of trying to get ph correct
....Should I completely flush the soil? If so how many times, and how do I keep from over watering?

McBudz...I realized my mistake as I was responding. I had forgotten that grow boxes have fertilizer mix, and dolomite mix...I have only been using foxfarm, with the one beginning exception...I wont be using the moss anymore, at least not until I understand the basics a little better. I am probably doing more then my skill level will allow...I will attempt to fix the ph level, as I asked "Flurple" should I flush, and how(I see you suggest that I do)...concerned about over watering...and I will stop with the fert(in the grow boxes)...

Ms.Fox...No I am not adjusting ph every time. I had been checking ph levels every 3-4weeks...that will now change to once ever 3-7 days...I use liquid ferts, and I need to learn how to adjust every time I add anything to the water...once again a learning curve,,,

Thanks everyone for the input so far. It is EXTREMELY helpful!

You need to get some ph up and down. Nutes will greatly lower the ph of your water and it needs to be raised before you add it to the soil. You can get a really cheap ph tester from ebay. It's a Milwaukee ph pen.

As far as flushing, you need to use 3 times as much water compared to the amount of soil. I like to use distilled water or r/o water. Is that what you've been using? Don't worry about over watering. You will have to let the soil dry out for a few days, but by flushing you should be ridding your soil of the build up and extra ferts. ;-)

Flushing

Check out my grow (click the follow my grow ). Link in my signature. I just covered a flush. As far as over watering, flushing is not a daily or weekly practice which would kee fp the soil wet. That would probably be when U'd worry bout over watering. After u flush let the soil dry out (not completely).
Then reintroduce nutrients to your plants. Be sure to PH ur nutes b4 u feed.

ms.fox and bwc are both right on. i use a flushing agent (10$ at the store), rain water works quite well if you dont want to buy. when pH gets really low like that nutrient lockout is harsh. lockout increases salt build up and cakes the roots. cycle repeats

and i agree, get a meter...any meter. i got a nice pH/TDS meter that requires calibration about once a month... but im kinda anal when it comes to numbers xD, whatever you get just make sure you keep it calibrated, clean, and replace the head as needed.

Back
Top Bottom