400w hps cooltube BigBoi extraction - good idea?

Touchmejesus

So I have a 400w hps light in a 5inch cool tube, and obviously i've got to vent that shit. So in the pipeline i have a 10inch rvk fan with 1000 metres cubed an hour (This is going very cheap so price is not the issue). I own a 6inch extractor that is 250 metre cubed. What i want is to put the bulb very close to the plants for maximum growth

What i'm thinking is i'll get the 10 inch, that will be the main extraction as well as the cooltube extraction (see diagram), it will lead off to a carbon filter that at the moment is just a tiny 4inch one.

Untitled76.png

otherwise i could split the sucky-sucky of the 10 inch into 2 and have one loose in the area and the other through the cool tube with a length of ducting going to the same point as the intake.

IN AN ENTIRELY SEPARATE HYPOTHETICAL WORLD (I.E. NOT REAL)
If i were to veg 3 plants in preparation for a scrog, would that be too much? should i take one out of flower and keep it going in veg over the two months then bring it back with a vengeance?

Also a bonus question because apparently i can't sleep tonight. Could a 4 bulb 2ft T5 light system at 24 watts each successfully veg plants? It says 9600 lumen output and I've seen that vegetative growth only takes 5000 lumens. It seems crazy that a wattage that low could work. It would be over 2 months, and i'd hope for maybe 1.5 foot height...

If you really want to cool it down the run the intake to the out side the of grow room and exhaust out as well. Then run a different line for filter. The out side air will cool light better then hot air inside tent.

Flaw...

Hot air rise's !

Exhaust needs to be extracted out of grow area.

A simple set up would follow some thing like this... carbon filter > some ducting > air cooled hood > ducting > inline fan > more ducting to exhaust warm air out of the grow area...

10 inch fan might be a little over kill for a 400w hps bulb you could get away with some thing smaller like 6 or 8 inch inline ?

Basically works like this... hot air rise's, extraction point needs too be at top of grow area aka carbon filter being extraction sucks the warm air through air cooled hood removing odours in the process & heat, an over sized fan may help !

May get seasonal variations in temps ya see and looks like an attic set up to be honest...

Yeah it is an attic, and I want it to be moderately cool. So I should strap the filter to the ceiling, or as high as I can get it, then run the ducting as you say. correct me if I'm wrong but a constant airflow of say 18-20c air going in, which is then pretty much straight away sucked out again will keep it cool as shit - so would i be able to have a timer on the fan to come on 15mins on 15mins off over the light cycle. I noticed in a little test that it took over 1 hour for the temperature of the light to get up to 30c with just a little 6" bitch fan with no ducting, cooling, directing or anything - although that was at about 30cm away. This may be token, but i have a little pc fan. I'm definitely gonna get the 10 inch now - its at an irresistible price. Any thoughts on the T5 question?

Their are some variables to this...

How hot does the attic get on a warm summers day, if you are running lights during day light hours its going get toasty ?

Is the attic insulated may help with temps ?

Most of us have a lights on period during the night time as temps are cooler & a bit better to control grow area temps etc

Extraction/exhaust should ideal run 24/7 (normally a humidity spikes during lights off you don't want that going over 80% RH or expect problems with bud rot) may depend on what part of world ya from & ambient RH of the out side world... yes that effects indoors RH in less ya got fancy AC etc ?

Temperature of air cooling does have a effect on over all cooling abilitie...

We could look at another set up which you may prefer...

Air should be pulled through any air cooled hood !

Intake ducting > air cooled hood > ducting > inline fan > exhaust ducting ( should be outside of grow area for best effects ) - could be placed on timer for when lights come on...

Carbon filter at top ceiling area of grow area > ducting > inline fan > exhaust ducting... you might get away with carbon filter > inline fan > ducting etc... ya need to play with some ideas or what space is available tho ? (run 24/7)

Will require either a passive intake or active (inline fan) to provide fresh air.

That is the better option as you have two points of heat removal !

Ye T5 or 8 or even cfl of 6500/6400k (kelvin) are perfectly fine for vegging plants... i use a 125w cfl 6500k bulb for vegging & never had a problem & certainly more cost effective than MH i must admit :thumb:

Ya just need to hang em closer to the plants like a few inches as they suffer badly with inverse square law of light effect that is all.

Or you could look at dual spectrum hps ?

Back
Top Bottom