4x4 grow tent set up, first time growing!

Re: 4x4 grow tent set up ,first time growing!

I have the 1200 in a 4x4, it does a good job, but if I could do over I would go with the 1600. More light pluss a veg switch

LEDBud yea i agree with what your saying. im just waiting on sara to get back to me so i can place my order. the 1600 i think is the best bang for your money.

King James you have a 1200, hows the heat off it? in the 4x4 tent? what vent set up do you have?

King James you have a 1200, hows the heat off it? in the 4x4 tent? what vent set up do you have?

My grow is set up in room in a unheeted shop, in a 8'x12' room, durning the sommer I use a small portable ac unit to keep the room at 80 degrees(both the AC unit and 6" carbon filter are vented out side.
In the winter I vent the carbon filter in the room(trying to recycle some Heet), plus I use a small oil filled heater for some added heat(room stays around 75 degrees, in side the tent around 70 degrees).
Hope that helps
Wow that should take me to the magic 50 post, so now I sould beable to pm

King James nice 50 post. im still working on it. so in your experience is easier to manage a led light heat over a 1000 watts? just worried that maybe the 1600 would be to hot for the 4x4. i have a good vent system still waiting for it to be delivered.

I'll offer my insight on the heat issue , LED's output about 20% less heat per watt then HID lights which output a fair amount of heat from the bulb. Where as the LED panels ballasts output near all of the heat and the led bulbs output very little heat , the LED panels internal fans dissipate the ballasts heat so the panel feels warm not hot.

Back to the numbers , 800w of led will output 20% less heat by design and 20% less heat by using 20% less watts over the 1000w HID.
Total heat reduction over a 1000w is 40% which means the 800w LED panel is as hot as one 600w HID light.

I would guesstimate a 400cfm exhaust fan would clear it with ease and possibly allow the use of a fan speed controller , definitely for the night cycle.

What size of fan did you buy ?

Hey LEDBud thanks for the information. i bought a 6 in hyperfan with phresh filter. i hope this will be enough i will exhausting up my chimney. and i do have fresh air coming from out side.

I think your going to be good with that fan , which I just checked out, its a sweet fan *35w draw @315cfm is a excellent spec*
I went to a online grow room fan calculator page and input the room size , for a 4x4 x6 area with one light it suggested a 182cfm fan.
With two lights it suggested a 332cfm fan.
You are going to be fine with the 6" hyperfan and will even be able to use its built in speed control I imagine.

I am using 6" axial fans as well , I bought a few of them, mine are 12 volt 27 watt 250cfm fans which was the most economical fan to power that I could find.

Nice that the hyperfan is as efficient as it is , Good job picking out your fan !
I also really like its built in speed controller , a very nice feature indeed.

LEDBud thanks man that means alot lol i been looking at supplies for over two months before i made my mind up. alot research has been put into this grow. as i think its better to get quality equipment that will last more than 1 year lol. one of the main features that made me buy this fan was its low low power consumption. so im glad all that time wasn't for nothing.

I'm still new to most of this, been doing it les than a year. I started with the mars 1200, so that's all the experience I have. Just wish I could help you more. You can ask me anything you need to, if I don't know the answer I'm not scared to admit it, and I'll try to help you find the anwser

Hey there Newboy, I read the specs on the 1600, it has a 5x5 footprint, I bought a 1000w LED a while ago and ran it once in a 4x4 tent, the fan had to run full speed to exhaust all the heat, that used up my carbon filter faster, and made it less effective due to the dwell time of the air going through the carbon media.

I run a 1000w super HPS with a cooltube and the heat is far more manageable than the LED with no extraction method, so you can say me and King have ad the same experience.

If you can do it I say go for it, but I would recommend a 600watt hid in a air cooled hood or cool tube in that tent. Nothing against LED's but they are not as heat friendly as they claim, and it could be solved by an extraction method like a hood, but the tech isn't there right now.

meta tron thanks for the input. i did think about the cool tube or a hood, one of the reasons i decided led is my height restrictions im at 6 feet and i think the led will be better. also im worried about the bulbs and the fire hazard as i wont always be home. idk im just still at a stand still. im not to worried about the heat as my basement stays a cool 65 ish year round and i have a good intake and exhaust.

im just courious to see what they can really do. if the leds really can grow. im hopefull but if need be i will buy another light if they fail.

Well ultimately you have to sleep at night so you have to do what you think is safe. I can say fire is dangerous, if you take the proper steps to be safe you can use a furnace or a fireplace. HID's are safe, especially if they are in a cool tube and respected IE don't spray water on a hot bulb, don't buy shitty bulbs, don't use DIY fixtures or anything DIY.

But like you say, you don't want to get all baked and lie awake at night worrying about stuff. If money is not really an issue you can afford to experiment. Then stick to the plan 1600 mars covers 5x5 you will have good heat extraction, sounds like your original plan for the win.

:thumb:

Meta tron if i do go with the hps i was thinking a 1000 watts how close can i get it with out stressting the plants out. that was another thing that detoured me from going that route. from what i have read u can keep led closer and with my grow height is 6 feet i was thinking this was a plus.

ok every one today is the day i order my light im still debating about mars2 1600 or 1000 watt solis tek de buld with a air cooled reflector? any input?

i almost feel like doing the 1000 watts and putting 2 144x3 reflectors in there too just to really rock it.

Check into the led cooling requirements more thoroughly , find people who are currently using it and ask about cooling requirements and harvest size.

The 1000w HID is only 200w more then the 1600 so the LED power savings would not be substantial , the important thing is that you get what you want and not what others want for you.

I am partial to LED's so my vote sways there but I am biased as I like using my LED panels as others like using a HID with a hood.

LED panels need to be about a foot from the plants and will need about 6 inches of breathing room above them.
I *think* a HID bulb / hood would take up at least 12 inches more space , you need to check on it to find out.

You really should check on some grows in a 4x4 x6 tent and see what is really going on.
Make sure you like the results of the LED and find out how much space a 1000w HID & air cooled shade take up.

My advice is do not buy until you feel good about your decision.

Also crappy carbon filters run out fast , by crappy i mean with the cheap carbon or with the bare minimum of carbon in it. I believe the phresh filters? use the minimum amount of carbon and brag about its effectiveness over other filters.
Check into it by comparing the weight of the filter compared to others , I may well of mixed the brand names up and the phresh is a solid long lasting filter.

Next time you could make your own or buy one with a thick layer of *Coal based Carbon Pellets* as it lasts the longest by FAR, much longer then the coconut husk carbon filters or any of the ones that use thin or tiny carbon granules.
The pellets also have superior airflow characteristics.

You can wash and dry your spent carbon from the filter and reuse it , You can find good info on the procedure on the web , some people think you should microwave dry it , I have my doubts about that.

In commercial applications they wash and dry spent toxic carbon by the ton. Its toxic as they use it to remove chemicals from the air. Read up on their cleaning techniques and replicate it as best you can when your filter starts to fail.

Back
Top Bottom