4x4 grow tent set up, first time growing!

Re: 4x4 grow tent set up ,first time growing!

Could I use both like 1000 watt hid and two 144x3 mars reflectors? Any advice? Would this work or would the hid over power the led....like if I have them all on will the led light still reach the pLant or would the hid just over power them?

With the 1000w I got as close as 12 "'s but the leaves curled after a week so I raised it to about 18", the fan can be slowed to half speed giving me more air scrubbing which I value because high speed if the buds get real rank you can smell it, and at that point the whole place might as well smell.

With the 1000w I got as close as 12 "'s but the leaves curled after a week so I raised it to about 18", the fan can be slowed to half speed giving me more air scrubbing which I value because high speed if the buds get real rank you can smell it, and at that point the whole place might as well smell.

i was thinking of dimming

it down to 750 tops so i can run the reflectors tn there too and try to stay under 1300 watts total

Using a 600w hid would work better then dimming a 1000w to 750w , I have read that the bulb will not output the light spectrum's in the same way as it does when being driven to its design wattage.

Although don't take my word for it , check into it and see what the consensus is.

Using a 600w hid would work better then dimming a 1000w to 750w , I have read that the bulb will not output the light spectrum's in the same way as it does when being driven to its design wattage.

Although don't take my word for it , check into it and see what the consensus is.

I could not make my mind up so i got a 1000 watt solis tek double end ballast with a air cooled hood 20inx20in with 6k mh bulb i will buy hps bulb one later. now i will buy a mars led light should i go reflector or mars2. im planing on doing hid grow then a led one. so i can personally see the difference.

Nice HID and shade you bought , sweet your foot is officially in the door :welcome: to the hobby !

The reflector series come in some long sized panels , 3 of the 144x3w would suit the space but costs upward of $750 for 850 to 900w

Which to me is making the mars2 1600w look appealing with its $600 price and 800w

With 3 reflector series panels in the tent there is 6 inches left on all four sides but are a pain to hang and adjust and with the 1600 there is 14 inches left on four sides

From what I read people who own both panels get better results with the mars 2 panel with its 5w bulbs

Nice HID and shade you bought , sweet your foot is officially in the door :welcome: to the hobby !

The reflector series come in some long sized panels , 3 of the 144x3w would suit the space but costs upward of $750 for 850 to 900w

Which to me is making the mars2 1600w look appealing with its $600 price and 800w

With 3 reflector series panels in the tent there is 6 inches left on all four sides but are a pain to hang and adjust and with the 1600 there is 14 inches left on four sides

From what I read people who own both panels get better results with the mars 2 panel with its 5w bulbs

Thanks man, i feel like im making progress now and im ready to take the next step in this new adventure. i was looking at them reflectors hard but like you said they are more money for almost the same watts. so mars 1600 it is i will order very soon.

Nice choice that DE bulb blows the doors off what I have, I have to upgrade, I also have a 4 x 4 x 7.5 tent, cheap china it works fine to keep my environment controlled, I have a 6" variable speed 450 cfm inline fan coupled to a 6" carbon filter, the setup blows through a 6" cooltube with a Hortilux eye super HPS, and it is all run by a 1000 watt baddass low frequency square wave electronic dimmable ballast.

The dimmable feature is nice but it is true it diminishes the spectrum, but only if your splitting hairs. There is a shit ton of outdoor that experiences cloudy days. Anyhow it works well to dim the lights a bit when introducing new plants, when there is some sweltering hot summer days. I have run the ballast dimmed for the first few weeks of flower and then full blast on the last few just to finish.

Seems like you have some cash to burn so I will say I am super jealous of your new light, like super jealous. Don't supplement with anything till you have run a few rounds with it, that way you have a base line, plus you have a stellar light source now lets be efficient and get some good nutrients.

I would also suggest a finishing bulb, 10K spectrum, solistek makes them, promotes essential oil production.

Super Jealous btw, when I bought my stuff the DE was still commercial grade.

Solistek is where it is at in my opinion, Also buy a good timer like an industrial grade timer, you will sleep at night with the metal box construction.

Did I mention I was jealous :)

Nice purchase:goodjob:

Nice choice that DE bulb blows the doors off what I have, I have to upgrade, I also have a 4 x 4 x 7.5 tent, cheap china it works fine to keep my environment controlled, I have a 6" variable speed 450 cfm inline fan coupled to a 6" carbon filter, the setup blows through a 6" cooltube with a Hortilux eye super HPS, and it is all run by a 1000 watt baddass low frequency square wave electronic dimmable ballast.

The dimmable feature is nice but it is true it diminishes the spectrum, but only if your splitting hairs. There is a shit ton of outdoor that experiences cloudy days. Anyhow it works well to dim the lights a bit when introducing new plants, when there is some sweltering hot summer days. I have run the ballast dimmed for the first few weeks of flower and then full blast on the last few just to finish.

Seems like you have some cash to burn so I will say I am super jealous of your new light, like super jealous. Don't supplement with anything till you have run a few rounds with it, that way you have a base line, plus you have a stellar light source now lets be efficient and get some good nutrients.

I would also suggest a finishing bulb, 10K spectrum, solistek makes them, promotes essential oil production.

Super Jealous btw, when I bought my stuff the DE was still commercial grade.

Solistek is where it is at in my opinion, Also buy a good timer like an industrial grade timer, you will sleep at night with the metal box construction.

Did I mention I was jealous :)

Nice purchase:goodjob:

thank you bud. i have been looking at stuff for over two months, i want to buy the best. but with that being said we know that the best isnt always the most expensive. so i been looking around alot looking at forms and you tube. monster gardens helped me alot as well. i was going to go with the LED and i still will next run. im with you about solis tek they are one of the best if not the best. and with components made in japan is a mega plus along with the latest tec in the ballast and bulbs. i for sure will pick up a 10k bulb. i picked up a 6k for now ,next week i will buy the hps and the 10k. right now i have fox farm nutrients fox farm soil. im going to mix some bat guano and some other good stuff for the plants. i will post some pic when the set up gets here should be on monday or tuesday. i go it off amazon for a great deal. any tips on how to keep the tent nice and cool? will i have to run A/C, the tent is in the basement and it stays around 65 ish. thanks again for the compliments lets me know im on the right path:high-five:!

No you won't have to run AC unless you seal the tent for CO2 use but that's not really required if your growing for your own stash, With that setup dialed in and space utilized efficiently you should be in the 1 pound club or close to it, or over it, with soil likely close but you will have some epic smoke to contend with once it is all said and done.

Funny how when you have a pound of weed your mind starts focusing on other aspects of growing, like running the plant to the absolute last moment before chop. Tweaking things here and there. You will be turning your nose up to mid grade. trying to find ways to make use of all the trim. Like save the big top colas for smoke mids and trim for kickass oil, or hash, plant material for butter, and then compost it for your next batch of soil. Or get a worm bin make your own castings.

sky is the limit once your producing high grade Hombre

When it is time for the bulb to be changed out of my setup I am going all solis tek, but I love my Baddass ballast.

hey what kind of timer do you recommend? a out door one?

I use one of these for a sound nights sleep and a lifetime of trouble free upgrades.

intermatic-electrical-timers.jpg

You may have to do some basic wiring but it is not impossible I can show you how to do it.

I use one of these for a sound nights sleep and a lifetime of trouble free upgrades.

intermatic-electrical-timers.jpg

You may have to do some basic wiring but it is not impossible I can show you how to do it.

thank you again l feel very lucky to have all the help i need right here. you have to wire it the box bro? i do know a electrician that can help me. they do look very heavy duty. i see why u can sleep at night. no worries.

Is it harder to do a hydo setup i didn't do this route as im inexperienced and i hear that the chemicals have to be dumped out weekly or something. do you just dump the old water down the drain?

Hey bud if you know an electrician have him do it and mount it to a board we can discuss later on, but hydro can be great, research hygro hybrid, He got a pound off of a plant, in a garbage can dwc.

Those timers are great for expanding your system plus they have value if you need to sell your stuff of re purpose it, either way it is better to do everything right, that's why I like you so far because you do your homework.

I would get a couple of soil grows under your belt, maybe do a one bucket dwc along with the soil.

Thanks man, you gotta do the home work especially since im dropping a decent amount of money on this.

my buddy does electrical work so i know he would do it for me. i was looking into some of the timers on amazon but i didnt find any that look like the picture you sent me. do you have a model number?

I swear its like you read my mind, same thing i thought. can you tell me for the dwc what nutes do you need? or how does that work i really have not looked into it but i will start now.

Nutes are like pizza to me, everyone sells them, they are all a little different, some charge more some charge less, some have good ingredient's some not, some are exactly the same as others with a different package. with a DWC it would be homework again, but the easy answer is old reliable, the go to, two brand names come to mind, Advanced Nutrients and General Hydroponics, I have only used AN they seem to do a lot of research, and the owner was a guerilla grower in his early days, doesn't mean shit but at least he isn't some silicon valley start up D bag.

I would not try to do anything fancy, keep it as simple as possible, Advanced Nutrients PH perfect Grow and bloom A and B, some silica, aqua shield or the like. Depending on your water supply you may want an RO filter and some Cal Mag. General Hydroponics sells the kit to make a water farm out of a 5 gallon bucket for $15 - $20 buckets, does a top feed that runs on air and a 10 inch net pot fits right on top. Use Hydroton for the media, they are little round expanded clay balls. Oh ya get a good Air pump and some large airs tones. You want lot of air in there, more root more fruit. PH and PPM pen, can be bought cheap, I have a blue lab truncheon, and had the Bluelab PH pen, they are fairly pricey, I have been using a few $15 dollar ph pens and keep them calibrated.

Some people like it some people don't, if you can pay attention to detail and really figure out what's going on you will be successful, it is hard to succeed in hydro if you cut corners or procrastinate, things can go wrong fast if you do, but if you keep an eye on all the parameters it should be a success.

i love pizza bro:thumb: right now since im doing soil i just got the fox farms as i hear good things and good reviews. when the time is right i will do a hydo grow. because at the moment way above my skills. im glad you brought up ph levels, what are the levels you recommend for soil? i have a ph tester ran me a cool 80 bucks!!

Back
Top Bottom