600 watt decision

ujumajuju

I'm going to be setting up 4 5X5 tables to fill a 10 by 10 canopy, and am trying to decide on the light setup. My research shows a 600w hps puts out 95,000 lumens compared to 140000 watts from a 1000w. So what i'm wondering is will six 600w producing 570,000 lumens work rather than 4 1000w producing only 560,000 lumens.
I've also heard that you can get 600 watters closer to the canopy, and with the inverse proximity law,(or whatever it's called) you can actually get even more lumens. I've heard all the 1000w old-school advocates that say you just can't compete with 1000w intensity.
I'm interested in any informed, rational advise based on experience and observation.

So what about all the staunch advocates for 1000w systems who say that you can't match the bud density that a 1000w produces, regardless of all the data and reported lumen outputs?
I just dont wanna invest in several 600w systems and end up having wispy buds. The more I read about this, the more indecisive I become, as supporters from both sides of the argument claim the "definitive" answer

oops, i cut off my own post, must be too high (or not enough)

I was wondering if anyone has done any actual comparisons using 1000w vs 600w with same number of lumens, or at least close numbers, and if anyone has noticed a loss of yield using multiple 600 watters?

Thank you for those sharing their time and knowledge

:cheer:

thank you to everyone for the replies

so i've been reading some more , and i come across that i need 50 watt per square feet ? now i'm really confused, as this throws my math way off for using
six lights...

is this number realistic? 50 watt/sq ft?

thank you to everyone for the replies

so i've been reading some more , and i come across that i need 50 watt per square feet ? now i'm really confused, as this throws my math way off for using
six lights...

is this number realistic? 50 watt/sq ft?

I don't really like the watt/sq ft measure - you've already shown you get more lumens per watt with 6 600s - 400 fewer watts for 10,000 more lumens. You are over the 5000 lumen per foot guideline, but short of 10,000 per foot you get in full sunlight if memory serves... but plants don't get full sun all day either.

Smaller lights or old models might have fewer lumens per watt still... so I think you need to measure output rather than input.

I don't really like the watt/sq ft measure - you've already shown you get more lumens per watt with 6 600s - 400 fewer watts for 10,000 more lumens. You are over the 5000 lumen per foot guideline, but short of 10,000 per foot you get in full sunlight if memory serves... but plants don't get full sun all day either.

Smaller lights or old models might have fewer lumens per watt still... so I think you need to measure output rather than input.

Yes, i agree the watt/sq ft measure is misleading with 600 watters, so i'm trying to stick to lumens/sq ft. But i can't find a consistant number of required lumens. Some ppl say 3000/sq ft, others saying 10,000!!

And if i do try to use watts/sq ft to calculate(leaving out the 600w confusion a moment) shouldnt 100 sq ft require 5 1000 watters , not 4? Everyone says a 5x5 = 1000 watts, but that's only 40 watts/sq ft

Yes, i agree the watt/sq ft measure is misleading with 600 watters, so i'm trying to stick to lumens/sq ft. But i can't find a consistant number of required lumens. Some ppl say 3000/sq ft, others saying 10,000!!

And if i do try to use watts/sq ft to calculate(leaving out the 600w confusion a moment) shouldnt 100 sq ft require 5 1000 watters , not 4? Everyone says a 5x5 = 1000 watts, but that's only 40 watts/sq ft

I think you are overthinking it, looking for a specific "right" answer when there is a range of right answers.

You could use 5 1000s... but most likely get nearly identical results with 4, or better if 5 were to cause a heat problem. Every grow set up is different, so there is no one size fits all answer. Different strains, different grow media, different wall reflectivity, different ventilation, different grow techniques (scrog, sog, LST, topping, lolipopping)... all these will affect the minimum lighting needs - and the max amount needed or even usable.

You need to start with what has been proven to work, and either the 6 600s or the 4 1000s WILL WORK. That's plenty of light to max out your 10x10 area... and adding more would really depend on the setup, since you will need to vent a lot of heat as it is. You might see a benefit to more light... but there's a good chance of diminishing returns the more lights you add.

Look at what Pit Viper does with 2 1000s on movers... it should erase any doubts about having "too little" light if you are considering doubling what he uses.

In fact, not to confuse things... but if I were you, I'd use LESS light by using light rail movers to increase the efficiency of the set up.

I think you are overthinking it, looking for a specific "right" answer when there is a range of right answers.

yeah, i do this with all decisions, lol, especially when it involves spending cash, i figure i can always change my mind, untill i bust out the credit card

Look at what Pit Viper does with 2 1000s on movers... it should erase any doubts about having "too little" light if you are considering doubling what he uses.

where can i find this pit viper thread btw?

He was one of the first members to post on this thread... look up top, then look for the first link in his signature - "vipers nest continuous"

You've got to have the [/QUOTE] at the end to keep it all in gray ;)

The best way to answer your question for your own peace of mind is to read through the grow journals like Pit's - see what they do, what lights, what setup... then extrapolate for what you intend.

Back
Top Bottom