98.9% Of You Agree With Ron Paul...About Legalizing Marijuana

420 Warrior

Ron Paul said some interesting things about legalizing marijuana to Jay Leno the other night (mainly that it should be legalized–or not–by state laws; not federal), causing quite the stir on Blisstree: While he's all for taking control of your own body when it comes to drugs, he's much less into freedom of choice when it comes to reproductive rights, which led to quite the debate between commenters yesterday.

But whatever you think of his stance on abortion, our poll makes it clear: Nearly everyone (98.9%, last time we checked) agrees with Ron Paul that marijuana isn't something the federal government should be trying to control.

This is what he said on Jay Leno:

The role of the federal government is to protect our liberties. That means they should protect our religious liberties to do what we want; our intellectual liberty, but it also should protect our right to do to our body what we want, you know, what we take into our bodies.

And this is a little something he said to CNN:

You can at least let sick people have marijuana because it's helpful. But the compassionate conservatives say, well we can't do this, we're going to put people who are sick and dying with cancer and are being helped with marijuana if they have multiple sclerosis, the federal government is going in there and overriding state laws and putting people like that in prison.

I think the federal war on drugs is a total failure. The drug war is out of control. I fear the drug war, because it undermines our civil liberties, it magnifies our problems on the borders, we spent like over the last 40 years a trillion dollars on this war and, believe me, the kids can still get the drugs. It just hasn't worked.

Given the reaction to our poll, and past reaction to the issue of legalizing marijuana, most of our readers seem to be in total agreement here. But that's about the only area where we all see to agree with Ron: When it comes to the former obstetrician's views on abortion, an issue he's dubbed "the most important issue of our age," he stands by his support of state, not federal, regulation. But he thinks they should all make it illegal:

A society that readily condones abortion invites attacks on personal liberty. If all life is not precious, how can all liberty be held up as important? It seems that if some life can be thrown away, our right to personally choose what is best for us is more difficult to defend. I've become convinced that resolving the abortion issue is required for a healthy defense of a free society.

It's true that he's consistent on his interpretation of the constitution–remember, despite his attacks on the morals of abortion and telling of bloody abortion stories from his days as an OB, he still says legalizing abortion shouldn't be done at the federal level, but to me, his reasoning doesn't hold. If kids are still getting drugs despite the 40 trillion dollars spent on our war against drugs, what does he think would happen if abortions became illegal?

If our election were only about pot, Paul might do very very well. But with other issues of health at stake, he definitely doesn't have our full 98.9%.

ron-paul-marijuana.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Blisstree
Author: Briana Rognlin
Copyright: b5media inc.

But whatever you think of his stance on abortion, our poll makes it clear: Nearly everyone (98.9%, last time we checked) agrees with Ron Paul that marijuana isn't something the federal government should be trying to control.

It's true that he's consistent on his interpretation of the constitution–remember, despite his attacks on the morals of abortion and telling of bloody abortion stories from his days as an OB, he still says legalizing abortion shouldn't be done at the federal level, but to me, his reasoning doesn't hold. If kids are still getting drugs despite the 40 trillion dollars spent on our war against drugs, what does he think would happen if abortions became illegal?

This is a big one for a great deal of voters.

Yes it is. Personally, I don't care what any woman chooses to do with her body, as long as I don't have to pay for it. I just can't really see where it is my civic or moral duty to pay for a prostitute's monthly abortion...

If the war on drugs was an utter failure, what does he think is going to happen with a prohibition on abortion? Women will still get abortions, but they will be done with coat hangers in an alley.

He understands that we need less government, but he needs to separate himself from party views and drop the abortion position. Just let it go.

You can't really blame him though. He's delivered god knows how many babies and to see the aborted babies lying on a tray dying it's gotta have an effect on you.

Ron Paul has to be the most misunderstood person in America, as is our Constitution. Everybody always say's "Ron Paul want's to legalize drugs!", "Ron Paul wants to legalize prostitution!", "Ron Paul want's to prohibit abortions!", when in fact none of the statements are true at all. He simply wants the federal government to act in the way our founding fathers intended it to do so when they wrote the Constitution of the United States, as do I. The Constitution does not explicitely grant the federal government the right to prohibit plants, prostitution, or abortions. If you actually read what he say's, and what is included in this article, it clearly states that he simply doesn't want the feds involved in the issue or federal taxpayers dollars being spent on these issues one way or another. Leave it up to the states as it should be.

Ron Paul wants the States to have the right to do what they will. The Federal government is intruding where they don't belong on many levels. Think of the states as countries and the federal government as the union of countries that was formed to protect, print money and assure that human rights are not violated by it's members. States should have the right to have laws that fit with the majority of their citizens, marijuana, abortion, marriage, labor laws. So if you want to have more liberal laws live in a more liberal state. If you want to live in a controlling state that doesn't let you or your neighbors have any rights, liberties or freedoms (not sure why anyone would) live there. I agree with his stance on freedom and liberty and getting rid of the intrusive nature of the Federal government.

He might have a hands off approach to abortion but it will work in reverse with more states outlawing abortion. RP does not believe in the drug war or specifically the war cannabis but often states regardless of a law he would not smoke cannabis. I fear that states will try to make this illegal and then we have a black market for abortions. Will we trade one problem for another?

Most people don't know, especially if you live in a state where it is legal, but, 1/3 of the states in the U.S. never repealed their laws after Roe v. Wade, and therefore remains illegal in that state to perform or have an abortion, despite what the SCOTUS ruled. It is almost impossible to get an abortion in AR (I know personally) and many of these other states, simply because so many doctors refuse to disobey the state law and face losing their state medical license. State medical licensing boards have no requirement to abide by Roe v. Wade, they must however abide by state laws and that is what doctors care about.

Most people in AR, simply travel to OK and have it done there or get the pill there where it is legal under state law. Happens every day.

Just because the feds say that federal law trumps state law, or SCOTUS has an opinion, doesn't mean the state's have to agree, obey and/or change their laws to reflect federal laws. MMJ being another prime example.

I switched parties to give Ron Paul my vote in the primaries.

I don't agree with his stance on abortion, but I also don't think he could ever change the constitution to make it illegal federally. As stated by budbro, many states still don't allow abortions, and I don't think that's liable to change if Paul were to take power. What would change, and what is really important, is the dialogue from the president. People might stand up and take notice if the president says, "The drug was is a failure. Occupying other nations with our massive military is a failure. The Fed needs an audit."

And Obama is not going to say any of these things.

from what I have learned of this man he is a bigot and is a backer of those with what we can plainly call 'fascist leanings'... don't get so high as to forget it doesn't mean anything when our Constitution doesn't mean a damn thing... have any of you checked out the provisions of the latest defense spending bill and its nuances? The pres goes on TV "Oh I have reservations about portions of this and I want to see protections put in place before I sign this into law..." YEAH FUGGIN RIGHT!... The Administration then ORDERED THE REMOVAL OF THE PROTECTION CLAUSES... this involves detainment assassination search and seizure of anyone and anything without due process... WAKE UP - its fucking groundhogs day people... and don't say I didn't tell you IT CAN AND WILL HAPPEN HERE!...
toke on that for a bit...but not too long...:Namaste:

I can tell you exactly what would happen if abortion was illegal, because I was around when it used to be illegal, and the only thing that was different then was that more woman died from clumsy backstreet abortionists. Speaking strictly for myself, I don't think the legality of abortions is the business of any male, at least not until he can get pregnant.

Back
Top Bottom