A questions on nutes

oldhippie64

I have 2 females 4-6weeks into flowering growing outdoors in the ground(no pots). they are from bagseed and one favors a sativa hybred(named finicky) the other a indica hybred(named no name). they are almost 4 foot(1.2meters) tall and 4ft(1.2meters) wide. the trunk of these bushes is about 1.75 inches(4.5cm) in diameter. I call one finicky cause it doesn't like too much calcium added to it diet or so it seems. Finicky gets yellow stripes on new growth.adding mag or N doesn't help doesn't stop them.if I don't add too much extra calcium they stop. For feedings and watering when needed I use rain water collected from my roof. they get 2 feeding a week for the first feeding They each get a gallon of JR Peters blossom booster(10-30-20w/micronutes)) full strength plus molasses(1 tablespoon), the second they get a gallon with a tablespoon epsom's salt and molasses added. the water for the second feeding would have eggshell soaking in the water but finicky doesn't like that, gets the yellow striped growth.
my questions are:
should I still give noname the extra calcium since it has no ill effect on her?
is 1 gallon enough for such a bush?
also is there a visible clue when to stop feeding? since I don't know how long these ladies are going to take to finish

There's absolutely no need in giving so much calcium, it actually should be mixed with your soil before you put the seedlings or seeds in. Too much calcium in mineral/chemical form can cause a lockout with high PH, that's why you're getting these stripes. Also if you use chemical booster, adding molasses won't do much good as you're killing your microlife.

the main indicator of readiness is that the trichs are all cloudy. as the plant frosts up they go from clear to cloudy to amber, clear is not ready and amber is over ripe. its common to see a mixture of clear/cloudy/amber on a single plant, its up to you to judge when its more cloudy than anything else. The sativa dominant is likely to need longer to finish and therfor should probably be fed some more, the indica probably doesn't need any more food at all unless its like a 10week strain or something =)

If your going to continue doing outdoor grows, it makes sense to start making home compost and leaf mold so you can feed your own plants from garden waste and salad scraps. add in a few things like banana skins, liquid seaweed, rock dust and maybe some bonemeal and that's all the food you will ever need. I would also consider infecting the entire region around where you grow with mycorrhizae to really make your garden an eden for our beloved mary jane.

Back
Top Bottom