Advice on light change at night - Bedroom grow

w33dgoblin

Hi guys. I have a 1.2 x 1.2 x 2.0 tent, 600hps, 6" RVK with Rhino filter (out) 4" TT (in)

Just started my 2nd grow. 1st was success with 13 oz from 5 plants. I grew from seed and vegged first few weeks in a cupboard under CFL. I then went to Turkey for 7 days and vegged 24/7 in tent under HPS while away. Turned to 12/12 on return and ran from 8am to 8pm for 8 weeks.

My question is this, my babies are ready for a HPS vegging but i dont go away till 1st september and the noise of the fans/filter means the missus gets disturbed sleep. I dont want to use the cfl till then as in my head, i could have got more growth with the HPS.

Can I run my 600hps setup during the day, and at night when I want to go to bed, switch to the vegging cfl so i dont need to run the RVK ? Would the light difference confuse the plants and risk hermie ?

Thanks guys, just trying to keep the wifey happy, but its all about whats best for the plants :thumb:

I'm not following you. Do you mean you want to veg and flower in the same tent just by having different lights on at different times? If so, that won't work. :thedoubletake:
I must be missing something...

No im just vegging 4 plants. Want to use HPS but noisy at night. Want to use HPS in day for vegging boost and just run vegging cfl at night so its quiet.

Yes friends have their hps on 12/12 and add other cfl/ t5's over lapping. Ie starting before the hps lights turn off .. that keeps them vegging .. u will be fine , i like the idea of sunrise and sunset under the softer lights ie
3 hrs before and after the hps? But thats a bit of mucking around..

:goodjob: Your plan is good.

Run HPS at day to maximize growth, but run CFLS at night to maintain 24 hr light due to noise/sleep equilibrium.

You could also look into the Gaslight Routine.

12 hrs light, then 1 hr light in the middle of the night to stop them blooming.

The 1 or 1 1/2 hrs of light could be from the CFLs :goodluck:

If its just your exhaust fan thats making the noise, you can diy great duct silencers cause youll still need that air exchange

ive got accoustic ducting but its still just a bit noisy to sleep. Ill still run a circulation fan inside with the cfl but just passive in/outtakes

:goodjob: Your plan is good.

Run HPS at day to maximize growth, but run CFLS at night to maintain 24 hr light due to noise/sleep equilibrium.

You could also look into the Gaslight Routine.

12 hrs light, then 1 hr light in the middle of the night to stop them blooming.

The 1 or 1 1/2 hrs of light could be from the CFLs :goodluck:

Will look into the gaslight, thanks for confirming. only need to run it like this for couple weeks, then it will be 24 hour hps for a week then 12/12 when i get back from holiday

One way to think about what you are asking is this.. if it is sunny 12 hours every day but after 12 hours of sunny day, the clouds roll in and it is cloudy for the rest of the day does you plant go into flower or hermi because it is cloudy for part of the day. The answer is no, plants do not differentiate between bright sunshine and cloudy over cast days, it is only the light they care about not the quality. I was able to plant my outdoor grow outside in April this year with no issues by merely putting 1 CFL per plant on them for 2 hour before sunrise and for 2 hour after sunset. The plants could not distinguish the difference between a CFL and the SUN, they just knew they were getting a little over 17 1/2 hours of light per day. As far as the plant knew it was cloudy for 3 hours at the beginning of the day and cloudy for the last 3 hours of the day

Back
Top Bottom