Afghan Kush Ryder 1st Grow

Thanks GB!

I have some more photos for you guys. All of Girl#1 on account of the fact that #2 is looking in the dumps right now.

But we're 33 days now and have until probably the end of the month until harvest so enjoy!

MG_2437.jpg

MG_2435.jpg

MG_2438.jpg

MG_2440.jpg

MG_2441.jpg

MG_24461.jpg

MG_2449.jpg

-T

May I ask where you got your seeds? Yours is looking like such a nice sativa although you stated on the first page that it's pure indica. I'm trying to find a nice, mostly sativa strain to grow.

When I said it was pure Indica at the beginning I didn't quite know what I was talking about. It is however a pure Indica plant that was crossed with the Ruderalis variety (Low Ryder most likely). How much % it is of either is not something I know the answer too and my guess is that that information is not published as it's proprietary to the company that made the strain. But after looking around the forums for a bit I've seen where others have published locations of where they purchased their seeds so I'll do the same (I thought it would be against the rules or something at first). Anyhow, worldwide-marijauana-seeds.com are the guys you're after. The two seeds I got came free with an order I placed.

Best of luck! I couldn't be happier with the way my big plant is doing at the moment.

Haha, thanks dude. Will let you guys know for sure.

BTW, a some of my fungus grew out so I'll have that to play with tomorrow. :slide:

So things are looking grim in the grow closet. I hadn't had the money to purchase a decent pH meter until this past weekend. Turns out the water pH'ed to 6.9 but the soil was down to 5.3 on both of my larger plants. That totally explains the nitrogen deficiency that they've been experiencing but really in the last day or so it has been the worst. On Sunday I put lime into the soil trying to neutralize some of the acid and did again yesterday. pH went from 5.3 to 5.8 to 6.9. But I'm afraid it might be too late.

I assume the acidity of the soil is due to a nute buildup so I flushed all of the plants really well and watered with a 6.5pH 50% FF Brow Big solution to try and replenish the flushed soil.

Hopefully Girl#1 pulls through since she has been developing trichs everywhere and it would be a shame to loose her so close to the end. But in the end, another lesson learned and at least now I have a nice pH meter to keep things in check for future plants.

Will let you guys know how it turns out and might even post some photos later but I'm not sure I'll feel up to it. On a side note, the fungus I grew was awesome.

I was just trying to upload some quick pics but the board was giving me hell about it for some reason.

Anyway, looks like the lime has worked its magic and there has been a ton of new growth. Could be in my head but all of the plants seems to be doing much better and their respective soil pH are all about where they should be.

I can definitely see tons of new growth on the Northern Lights so that's a reassuring feeling. :slide:

MG_2720.jpg

MG_2724.jpg

MG_2716.jpg

Here we go. As I said, these are just some quick pics, nothing special. But you can see the trichs all over and the buds starting to swell.

I had my big girl out in the bathroom today so I snapped some photos with the tripod. White balance is a bit different than normal but they still look legit regardless.

MG_2733.jpg

MG_2729.jpg

MG_2728.jpg

MG_2727.jpg

Interestingly enough, most of the fan leaves have yellowed up and dropped off of my big girl. I'm going to assume that it's the nitrogen getting sucked up into the buds for flowering but I'm not 100% certain. It also looks like I've burned her with nutes as the tips of many of the leaves have browned. Could also be linked to the pH being out of whack for so long...

I could ramble on forever but I originally sprouted these seeds to learn on and I'm doing just that so all is ok.

I believe I'm ready for a harvest in the next week or so. Just waiting on 50% of the trichomes to go amber and they're looking closer to 75% cloudy with the stragglers being clear.

And for the line-up of pictures with one of them being a 100% shot so the detail is more apparent.

MG_2781.jpg

MG_2782.jpg

MG_2783.jpg

MG_2785.jpg

MG_2787.jpg

MG_2789.jpg

MG_2790.jpg

And again, the white balance is def. screwed up on these. I would fix it but I'm having a lazy moment right now.

-T

I believe I'm ready for a harvest in the next week or so. Just waiting on 50% of the trichomes to go amber and they're looking closer to 75% cloudy with the stragglers being clear.

I personally believe that 50% amber is waiting too long. I've read an article in High Times that argued that peak THC levels are when they are milky. It also argued that when the trichomes are turning amber, that's the time that they are in fact dying. From personal experience, I prefer to harvest when they are mostly milky and maybe 10% amber. :goodluck:

Well, I went ahead and harvested a few days ago. Took your advice but harvested a bit earlier than 10%. The samples that I smoked were smooth and the high was really clear and upbeat. I've previously always smoked and had couch lock for the rest of the day so I think this change will be a nice experiment.

Also I took a quick shot of the Northern Lights that are looking fantastic right now. The leaves are huge compared to the Afghan Kush Ryders' and have super dark green color to them. I've not fertilized them yet and have no plans to anytime soon with the way they're growing in the FF soil. Only thing is because of the genetics, they're already almost outgrown the other AKR in height (not as bushy) so I think I'll have to top them or something as well as take some clones from the larger of the two.

MG_2859.jpg

I am waiting for the bud report here...I'm a new member, this is only my second posting, the first being my introduction to the 420 forums....
But I have read this grow journal simply because it is for a Afghan Kush Ryder, exactly what I am just now starting to grow myself....started germination about 48 hrs ago, and am just now seeing the first tap root popping out of the seed husk...nothing better looking than that for me! I am very thankful for the info you put up here on this, Tachyon, and as I said, I am very anxious to hear the bud report to see what I am to expect with this strain....I picked it after about a month of nothing but investigation and comparison....found out that AKR is a fantastic medical strain, giving us about 21.6% THC, one of the highest THC percentages around!!! I am a medical marijuana patient, so I wanted an Indica that would really give me great pain and muscle spasm relief....( By the way, I got my seeds at "Sensible Seeds", & their info on this is that they ARE 100% Indica. I hope the medicinal values are as worthy as they advertise....I'm hoping that they are, and also, can you tell me how and for how long, did you cure this AKR, and the others you are growing....just curious.

Thanks again for a great job on the grow journal, I thought it was great, informative, good pics and is really already helping me with my AKR baby!

Peace my ganja-loving brothers and sisters out there!

Ok guys, on spring break and have a minute away from work so here we go...

I harvested when maybe 5% of trichs were amber and almost all of the rest were cloudy. I dried for about a week and then put the bud into a couple half pint jars were they began curing. The plan is to cure for a week then just leave the bud in the jars for storage since the glass offers awesome protection against smell leakage and prevents physical damage to the perfection that I have grown. So as I sit here, I have two jars that are fully cured and are cleaner than any bud you've ever bought from a friend. I think my being careful adn never touhing the bud allowed the sugar coating to remain 100% like it was when the plant was still in the ground whereas I've seen my buddy squeezing the shit out of his weed like it's a zit or something :/

Dry weight ended up being 24 grams and attribute this to gross negligence on my part as this is the first thing I've ever tried to grow. I've figured out the process now so I'm hoping future plants will provide me with at least a few ounces a piece but the quality of this harvest cannot be downplayed. I've never gotten so ripped from a smoke like this before. And the smell? It's like taking a whiff of a jar of pineapples; the oddest, fruitiest smell I've ever experienced. I think since I harvested early the couchlock doesn't take full effect. With this smoke, I can do homework or hobby work without the urge to go take a nap yet can still have a lot of that body stone feeling.

Plant number two however reverted back into a stale vegetative state while I had the pH problems so now it has literally exploded with growth and will easily be 3-4x larger than the first AKR! I moved her into an 8 gallon pot where I think she is finally comfortable enough and it also what I'll use on future grows. I almost wish I didn't start the northern lights and instead a few more AKR's.

Pictures to follow soon guys. I'm going to try and make them aweosme. :yummy:

Back
Top Bottom