Alzheimer's Disease: Preventing & Halting Progression With Ultra Small Doses

Sue,

I just received Dr. Gregory L. Smith's book, MEDICAL CANNABIS, BASIC SCIENCE AND CLINICAL APPLICATIONS, WHAT CLINICIANS NEED TO KNOW AND WHY

Quite fascinating and informative. Obviously geared toward doctors but very useful for anyone wanting to understand the history, politics and science about cannabIs. I hope my doctor is receptive to learning.

Thanks again for this nugget of knowledge!!

Thank you for the reminder that I need to pick this book up this month Traveler. I'm glad you found it useful.

I found this series of posts while researching CCO and esophageal cancer. It's from hempoilhope.org. It's primary message was for the use of CCO (here called hemp oil or Rick Simpson oil) to treat the cancer, but it was the improvement of dementia, the actual reversal of symptoms, that I found most intriguing, and so I offer it to you here for your own consideration.

May it offer insight not only into the understanding of how cannabis can positively impact your health and thereby your life, but also to appreciate the vast resources available in the treatment of cancer and the necessity to come at it from all directions. There is no magic bullet and no successful treatment stands alone as a singular modality. Teamwork, diversity and synergy are worthy goals to set.

* * * * * * * * * * :love: * * * * * * * * * *​

[Stage IV Esophageal Cancer] [GP]
Postby archivebot » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:37 am

by JustinK » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:02 am
Posts tagged with GP indicate they are from the GreenPassion.org forum. We have partnered with them to spread their success stories as widely as possible. Read below for an excerpt of the thread, and visit the link at the end of this post to view the entire thread directly on GreenPassion. I will often include my own insight and additional summary at the end of these excerpts as well.

have had an interest in medicinal marijuana for a few years... some good friends are on the revolutionary forefront of trying to bring it into the open here on the east coast. but it was never quite personal until my 84 year-old mother-in-law was given 3-6 months after being diagnosed with stage-4 esophageal cancer. unknown to her (we call it her "herbal medicine") we've had her on high-grade hemp oil (using rick simpson's guidelines) for two months now-- combined with a strict anti-cancer diet and a lot of juicing. one year after her diagnosis she's still kicking and the results have been very, very encouraging-- so here’s her story in a nutshell.

First off… these observations are to the best of my recollection and strictly from a layman’s perspective. Also, while the hemp/Simpson oil has been used for about nine weeks now, there are concurrent treatments that may, or may not, have some bearing on my mother-in-law’s progress. Having said that, however, there are some obvious results that have revealed themselves since the hemp oil treatment began and these I will point out. Also, I’m not the point man (or woman) on this… my brother-in-law, sister-in-law and my wife are the ones in the trenches, doing the research and handling the grunt labor.

Oh… should also mention up front that doctors had earlier diagnosed mom-in-law with early stage dementia. She is 84 years-old.

#######

July 2010. The doctor told my wife’s family that their mom was in the final stage of full-blown esophageal cancer and that, short of chemo/radiation, nothing could be done to help her at her age. Doctor said she wouldn’t live more than 3-6 months. The family decided not to tell her of the cancer or the prognosis (a decision that caused some disagreement). It was also decided to bypass chemotherapy (everyone agreed this would probably kill her) and to start researching and implementing alternative therapies immediately.

Mom was put on a strict anti-cancer diet of no sugars, no meats, no coffee, no processed foods, etc.

Began juicing – this has been the constant in the battle to get her well. They juice with organic greens and leafy vegetables, including the stalk of the asparagus, bok choy, kale, carrots and celery—with an apple blended in to take the bitter edge off. Best to drink the juice sooner than later before essential enzymes are lost. Mom fought against taking this drink (her appetite was horrendous), but my wife found the best time to give an eight ounce glass was in the early morning when her mom was hungriest.

From the start… in the morning mom is also given a plate of fruit, including black raspberries (best of the antioxidants) and blueberries. Again, her appetite was poor and getting the fruit down her often took an hour or more. She’d fight it all the way which was draining on the family. Have heard since that this combativeness is often seen with Alzheimer and dementia patients.

Began giving her flaxseed oil mixed with cottage cheese (2 parts cottage cheese to 1 part flaxseed oil). She was also fed a huge amount of vitamins… but the large volume often upset her stomach and had her throwing up the pills.

Colloidal silver and Bob Beck bioelectric protocol were added to the treatment regimen.

Papaya was added to her diet before meals to help with digestion. Also put her on VSL probiotics to help with keeping her regular since she was getting constipated.

Throughout these treatments, which over the months have been refined, mom continued losing weight (she consumed very little and it was torture getting into her what little food she did eat). She began complaining of intense lower back and some throat pain (a hospice nurse told family this was symptomatic of cancer). She woke up constantly during the night calling for help which was frazzling to my sister-in-law. Also, mom was also very weak and afraid to stand up, often crying out “I’m scared, I’m scared!” when anyone tried to lift her. It was very difficult to get her to stand, much less walk her to the bathroom. Despite all efforts mentioned above, the family saw little improvement and thought they were losing her.

Unable to walk up the stairs to her bedroom anymore, hospice was called and mom was given a bed in the living room. Thinking she was on her last days, the family began visiting more often. This was about three-four months ago.

My brother-in-law, meanwhile, had begun researching hemp oil. My wife and I were asked if we could help with this. So happened that good friends of ours were already growing medicinal marijuana and had begun helping some cancer patients get off the pharmaceuticals that were rendering them incommunicado with family in their last days. Although my friends had never made hemp oil before, they were gung-ho to give it a try. They read up on Rick Simpson’s formula, made some minor tweaks with the alcohol (wanted to go more natural) and used their best grade buds to create an initial four week batch. They talked about supplying us for free, but we insisted on at least paying “cost” for that excellent bud so our buddies wouldn’t take a financial hit (it takes a LOT of product to make the oil and growing it right ain’t cheap).

Started with the grain of rice-sized dose of oil. Mom immediately slept a lot (the wife and I and our friends all tried a grain of the oil for “research” purposes and it does, indeed, make an impression—I was still high when I woke up the next morning. Mom was given her doses in the morning, the afternoon and just before going to bed. For the first time in months she began sleeping through the night (hallelujah! cried my sister-in-law). Within three days the pain was completely gone from mom’s back and throat. She hasn’t complained since (been two months). There was also a “healthier” look to her. Face had color and hair looked healthy. Also, when she wasn’t sleeping (and she slept A TON, she was conversant… even had a sense of humor. This wasn’t the case before.

About three-four weeks into the treatment mom began throwing up blood. Hospice notified the family they should gather because mom was probably twenty-four hours from dying— said that tossing blood was cancer symptomatic. My wife and i took the five hour drive prepared for the worst. But along the way we called our friends who had supplied the oil and were given some news that gave a sliver of hope. My buddy said that when he was researching the oil some patients reported that, after being on the treatment, they threw up bloody material, and that this discharge was likely the dying cancer being shed from the body. My sister-in-law said she remembered looking at the blood and that it did, indeed, look like it was mixed with some kind of fibrous material (can’t be certain this was the case but this was her recollection)

Whatever the reason, the long-and-short is, mom didn’t pass. Instead of going downhill, she continued to get better. More strength, no pain, able to hold an intelligent conversation.

A month into the treatment with the dosage increasing, her strength continued to improve. She was no longer afraid to stand, even got up on her own on a few occasions which surprised the family. Appetite was still an issue, though, and getting food into her remained a struggle. Added ginger to her water to stimulate her hunger.

All vitamins except D were now stopped (D was still given because mom wasn’t leaving the house and getting sunlight).

Five-six weeks into the treatment and mom was still complaining of being “exhausted” and sleeping a lot (my wife tells her this is a good thing, because sleeping gets you well). Hospice, meanwhile, was mystified. They figured she would be gone by now. Nurse told my wife, “whatever you’re doing, keep doing it”. Family has chosen not to tell hospice about the oil (but I will suggest they do once the treatment has run its course).

With the treatment seeming to work, the concern was putting more weight on mom and continuing to get her strength up. Decision was made to give her whatever food she wants (since she was eating like a bird) and to hope the oil is killing (or keeping in check) the cancer. This was a calculated, and somewhat risky decision, but getting her weight up was important. She took a quick liking to hard boiled eggs and almond butter on thin cookies. They have even given her meat if she wants it— although this is on rare occasions. She also drinks an occasional protein shake (like body builders drink). The diet of organic fruit and the eight-ounce glass of vegetable juice every morning continued.

Organic juicing, flaxseed oil, VSL probiotics, colloidal silver, ginger in water, vitamin D and Bob Beck protocol have continued throughout.

Six-eight weeks in. With help, mom is now able to walk upstairs to get a bath. She is also able to walk outside for some sunshine when the weather allows. This was impossible pre-oil.

Nine weeks into treatment. Talked to my wife today (she is staying with her mom while I stay at home) and she says mom is eating much better. The family weighed her and she put on 3.5 pounds in a week. She is still pain free and has strength she did not have before. She is not on pharmaceuticals of any kind. Still sleeps a lot, but not as much as before (perhaps she has become acclimated to the dosage which has now increased to a gram a day) but all that sleep, as the wife points out, is not a bad thing.

So that’s where we are.

It’s hard to say definitively which parts of my mother-in-law’s treatment are doing what, but I would wager every little bit helps when fighting cancer. For what it’s worth, here are my thoughts on hemp oil—and you should understand that I’m a healthy skeptic by nature.

1. Without drugs, mom is aware and conversational (certainly not a chatterbox but you can hold a conversation—and she has her sense of humor). As a side-note, I wish I had known about this oil when my father was dying four years ago. He spent his last days in an oxycontin and morphine induced stupor, barely able to communicate with family. If the only thing the oil (or marijuana) gives a family is the ability to interact with a dying loved one, well, then it’s worth its weight in gold, isn’t it?

2. Mom’s strength has greatly improved since the oil regimen. Appetite has also gotten better of late—though she’s not on such a controlled food diet as she was pre-oil. The family is allowing her to eat what she wants (within limits… they turned her down on coffee this morning) to keep putting pounds on that thin frame.

3. She sleeps through the night now.

4. Her skin color has improved. Hair looks healthy.

5. She is PAIN-FREE (CAPS for importance)

6. Quality of life… MUCH IMPROVED.

As for her dementia… don’t know what, if any, effect the oil is having on that terrible condition. But as far as I can tell she hasn’t gotten any worse. She still forgets things and asks the same questions on occasion, but she’s conversational and has a sense of humor.

The family is debating whether to continue on a full dose of oil beyond the ninety days Simpson recommends, maybe for one more month, before beginning the once-a-week maintenance dose. Also, I’d like to get her back to the doctor to check on the status of the cancer but am not pushing this. That’s the family’s decision and right now the family is fine with the status quo… we can talk later about sharing results with the world.

Anyway… as I said, any comments/questions feel free. I’ll answer what I can and pass the rest on to my wife and brother-in-law who are front-and-center in this caregiving effort… and believe me, it’s quite an effort!

Don’t know what the future holds for mom-in-law but, for better or worse, I’ll let you know what’s happening. Hope this information helps anyone considering hemp oil and other anti-cancer treatments.

All the best to all of you.

My Note: As you can see, some other alternative therapies were used. However, it seems that the oil is what has been having the most effect, given the immediate, dramatic results experienced shortly after going on the oil. Of course, I'm confident that the positive nutrition being used is having significant effects as well!

https://www.greenpassion.org/index.php/ ... treatment/

JustinK

Re: [Stage IV Esophageal Cancer] [GP]

Postby Christian » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:19 am
Esophageal Cancer continued

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:59 AM
been a week since last entry. observations...

wife mentioned her mom can chat on long term memory topics (well, not exactly chatty but able to hold a conversation), but her short term memory has become progressively worse-- sometimes forgetting what's been said and done within minutes . impossible to speculate how much of her memory loss is due to dementia and how much is related to the hemp oil, but we're thinking a gram-a-day dose of the high-test must have some effect in the short-term (no pun) and are counting on her memory improving once she's onto the once-a-week maintenance dose. won't know for sure, of course, until we get there.

and while on the topic, i told the family about coconut oil's benefit to memory (thanks to this forum) and they're checking into it. wondering if the canna butter discussed in some posts might be redundant for a patient on hemp oil? dunno.

before going further, wanted to mention something i left off my first post on this topic-- has to do with the "sticky" properties of hemp/simpson oil. when we first tried administering the oil from the syringe onto the finger or a small piece of bread, etc, the oil would invariably get stuck like pieces of tar behind mom's teeth. my sister-in-law, who because of childhood encephalitis takes more pharmaceuticals than any human being I know, suggested filling some of her emptied medicine capsules with the oil and giving it orally that way. they've been using that technique ever since-- easy for mom as swallowing a pill. now our friends who supply the oil are buying capsules and pre-filling them for the family... a generous gesture and a tremendous help.

for those of you struggling to feed a family member (perhaps because of dementia) the family has learned that mom is hungriest first thing in the morning and later at night. during the in-between hours she's fighting food all the way. when this happens my wife doesn't push it-- it's a battle that can't be won and only gets the household in an uproar. if the hunger isn't there, my wife will circle back in an hour-or-so and mom usually is willing to eat the second time around.

mom-in-laws stools have been soft, bordering on diarrhea.... but the family believes this might be related to the vsl probiotics administered to keep her regular. they're going to cut the vsl treatment from every day to every other day.

to save mom's legs from atrophy and her backside from bed sores, she's coaxed from her favorite chair in the living room and walked around the first floor "loop" for exercise. mom spends countless hours sitting and watching the game show network, and the family had a scare when the dime-sized beginnings of a bed sore appeared over her tailbone. it was treated aggressively with ointment and she was walked on a daily basis until the danger passed. from personal experience i know you can't let those sores gain a foothold. my father developed a hellacious bedsore while staying in the veteran's hospital-- one that eventually looked like someone had taken an ice-cream scoop to his back. believe me, you don't want your loved ones experiencing that awful agony.

as far as the cancer is concerned, no one knows what's happening inside mom-- whether the disease is growing, in stasis, shrinking or vanished-- this will only be known if we can get her to a doctor at some point for a peek inside-- but i do know she remains PAIN FREE, which i attribute solely to the hemp oil. thanks to the treatment, she is also able to relate to those around her, which would probably not be the case on hospice pharmaceuticals like morphine. her legs are getting stronger and her appetite is better than even a month ago (although she was weighed yesterday and dropped a pound from last week).

oh.... there's another HUGE factor i think needs mentioning when it comes to treating a sick loved one. you can't really measure it but you sure can see the results. i'm talking about caregiving with LOVE and COMPASSION. it just might be the best medicine of all.

that's it for this update. just a couple of weeks now from the recommended end of the hemp oil treatment, but the family is leaning heavily toward extending it another month. that, of course, will require more money and our friend's willingness to whip up another batch. don't see any problems on that front, though.
'til next time... all the best.

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:49 PM
An update on mom-in-law.
With a week to go before the recommended three month hemp oil treatment ends, the situation remains relatively status quo. Only glitch is, my wife (who has taken a leave of absence from work) came home to spend six days with me and my daughter, and when she returned her mother had lost five pounds. Not sure what to chalk this up to, but i have noticed her health seems to slip whenever my wife is gone for a few days. My sister-in-law, who was primary caregiver for several months and now takes the lead whenever my wife is absent, has burned out. Her temper is short and compassion out the window, often coming on like a drill sergeant where my wife, by nature, is warm and nurturing. Impossible to measure what impact these vibes have on the sick but I do believe that bedside manner, as mentioned before, is a critical aspect of caregiving. Mom is eating better the past couple of days so we'll see how the next weigh-in goes.

The hemp oil treatment (at a gram a day) will be continued an additional four weeks-- just to make sure. After that we'll see if we can get some definitive results from the doctor on what's happening inside. Again, however, this will be up to the family.

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:01 AM
Another week and nothing new to report on the health front... which isn't necessarily a bad thing. All treatments, including hemp oil, continue as described in earlier posts. Mom-in-law gained back a pound and seems to be holding her own as we approach the one year anniversary of "three to six months to live". There's still friction in the house with sis-in-law who, as mentioned, is on burn-out mode, but this weekend the family is shipping her off to her brother's house -- a few hours away-- for ten days of R & R. Hopefully she can recharge her batteries and return with a better attitude.

I've asked the family about getting mom back to the doctor for a condition update. One of the brothers will look into it. Concern is the first diagnosis was made after mom drank barium for the cat-scan and they don't want her going through that again (at least not at this point in the game). Does anyone know of a procedure that's non-invasive that can show the status of esophageal cancer? Will an x-ray accomplish this?
Anyway... that's all for now. We march on.
Best to all.

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:39 PM
hello all...
first off, thanks for the research tink, but i think the family's concern is not so much barium being absorbed into the body as it is the difficulty and duress of having to drink it. regardless, an appointment has been made for july 7th to have mom-in-law's cancer re-evaluated. she'll be examined at a medical facility with a holistic bent. not sure what they intend to do... just have to wait and see.

there's nothing much new to report on the home front. mom remains pain free -- always a HUGE postive -- but some of the nagging issues that have cropped up from time-to-time in the past are still present. she continues to eat like a bird, sleeps a lot and can be cantankerous and forgetful (the latter could be dementia, effects of the oil, or a combination of the two). still, my wife reports that the good times with her mother make it all worthwhile. for her these sometimes difficult days are bonus time-- a blessing regardless of how things resolve with the cancer.

in the meantime, the atmosphere in the house has grown much calmer since sister-in-law was shipped two hours away. hopefully when she returns at the end of ten days, she'll bring back a fresh outlook... although given past history, something tells me that's just wishful thinking.
ah, well. fingers crossed. )

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:30 PM
hello all...
nothing new to report... status quo with mom-in-law. may not go the full extra month of gram-a-day treatment but will definitely take it up to her medical evaluation on july 7th. then we'll figure out where we're at and either continue with the current schedule or start her on the once-a-week maintenance dose. my wife is anxious to see if her mother will be more conversational coming off the oil... we just hope she remains pain free as well.

on tuesday i'll be attending a statehouse hearing on medicinal marijuana in massachusetts where i hope to share some observations on mom-in-law's treatment. can't speak definitively on all the healing properties of cannabis, but at least i can share some first-hand experiences to this point-- namely, that marijuana eliminates pain in cancer patients while allowing them to remain lucid, which is certainly not the case with pharmaceuticals prescribed to reduce pain and nausea.

for anyone in this part of the country interested in attending the hearing, here are the particulars (maybe someone can also cut and paste this to another, more appropriate forum)...

HEARING: MASSACHUSETTS MEDICAL MARIJUANA ACT
Tuesday, June 28, 2011 · 10:00am - 1:00pm
Massachusetts State House: Joint Committee on Public Heath: Room A1
HB 626:
Chapter 94 of the Massachusetts General Law is hereby amended by inserting the following as Chapter 94G:
Section 1. Sections 1 to 10, inclusive, shall be known, and may be cited, as "The Massachusetts Medical Marijuana Act." It is the purpose of this act to protect patients with debilitating medical conditions, as well as their practitioners and designated caregivers, from arrest and prosecution, criminal and other penalties, and property forfeiture if such patients engage in the medical use of marijuana.
TO VIEW THE BILL IN ITS ENTIRETY: https://www.--------....mj-hearing.html

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:25 PM
Hello all…
One year post cancer-diagnosis.
The Simpson oil treatment was stopped at fourteen weeks. So happened I took the trip to Jersey to be with the family and attend a medical re-evaluation of mom-in-law’s cancer during the time she was coming off the oil. The following day she was much more engaged, very sharp and with a sense of humor. But it was a mixed-bag, because she also seemed to be having a harder time remembering names, relationships, etc. and repeated herself more often than when she was on the treatment. This, of course, is symptomatic of the dementia, but not sure what the good news-bad news represents from a medical standpoint.

Two days after coming off the oil, mom surprised the hell out of her husband (he’s 94 and going strong) by climbing the stairs on her own and appearing on the second floor. Seems she just wanted to check out her old bedroom (she sleeps in the living room now with a hospice supplied bed). She’s been up and about on a few occasions, shuffling past family members with a casual “hello”... which is freaking everyone out. I say let her run, but my wife and the other siblings are terrified their mother will fall and bust a hip. Since the treatment ended, mom is also starting to wake up during the night-- climbing from bed and traveling the bottom floor as she pleases-- which has sister-in-law worn out because she’s got the baby monitor in her room.

Speaking of which...
Hospice told my wife that her sister has the classic signs of “martyr complex”-- when a caregiver believes they are shouldering an unfair share of the burden. The week I was there I witnessed the martyr complex in all its ugly glory… and it ain’t pretty. When sister-in-law is good life in the household is fine, but more often than not the negative energy surrounding the woman is palpable and everyone walks on egg shells. Ah, well… the family is in the process of trying to ship her out of town again.

Nutrition/appetite continues to be the main concern with mom-in-law. She continues to eat like a bird-- even less than when she was on the oil. When we took her to the medical evaluation they found her body mass was “off the charts low”. Mom has dropped ten pounds in a month and thirty five pounds since last year. When I showed up last week and saw her, the change in her physical appearance was apparent. She’s very thin and frail-- stooped over yet still strong in the legs.

The medical evaulation:
The doctor had little to offer. My impression was she was discussing a woman on the way out. Because we mentioned appetite was better on the oil (this was a medical facility with a holistic bent and, yes, the doctor had heard of simpson oil) she suggested we keep her on the treatment-- which she just sort of threw out there without much thought or discussion. More importantly, she prescribed a PET scan (a non-invasive procedure in the vein of CAT scans) to find out where the cancer is at. Tricky part is, insurance won’t pay for a patient's PET scan when they’re on home hospice. So once a facility is found and a date secured for the scan, the family will take mom off home hospice and put her back on her old medical plan. Then, once the scan is complete, she'll go back on home hospice. This, apparently, is a one-time deal and cannot be repeated. Hospice only wants to pay for managing the dying... the system has no interest in helping with recovery. I’ll let you know the results once the PET scan happens and the outcome is in.

As for the doctor's recommendation of resuming the full oil treatment. At this point the family likes having their mother back, despite the lapses in memory. They prefer not to return to the gram-a-day dose until the cancer has been re-checked with the PET scan and a revised course of treatment can be ascertained. Marijuana in smaller doses (tincture perhaps) could help with the appetite making the larger “cancer-killing” doses unnecessary. Also, to help mom sleep through the night, we're thinking a small dose of oil before bedtime might help, that way the medicine will have mostly worked its way out of her system by the daylight hours. With the help and permission of our friends who have been supplying the oil, we hope to whip up a smaller batch for these nighttime doses.

One observation-- I saw no evidence of a return of the pain mom experienced before the treatment. I’d like to think that, if the cancer was still present, so, too, would the pain. But that’s only a layman’s guess. I’ll have more definitive news once the PET scan happens. Sorry for the wait-- but these are the hoops the medical establishment makes one jump through.

ps: attended the massachusetts legislature's public health committee hearing on medical marijuana. the support for the proposed bill was impressive and often poignant. i testified on mom-in-law's experience, contrasted with my father who did not enjoy the same end-of-life quality. fingers crossed this important bill will sail through the legislature and become law in the near future. here's the link to news on the hearing:
https://news.bostonhe...position=recent

that's all for now. i'll update when there's more to share.
best to all.

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:17 PM
Thanks all for your continued best wishes for mom-in-law’s recovery. Dedhed, appreciate you taking the time to pass along the information and links. Suzy: I find the government’s hypocrisy on cannabis laughable, especially given the feds thought enough of the healing properties of cannabinoids to take out a patent back in 2003.
Link to patent:https://patft.uspto.g...7&RS=PN/6630507

A brief update on mom:
A PET/CT scan has been scheduled for Wednesday, July 27th.We should know the results shortly thereafter.For the uninitiated, Positron Emission Tomography (PET) and Computed Tomography (CT) imaging are diagnostic tools physicians use to reveal the presence and severity of cancers. Before a PET/CT scan, the patient receives an intravenous injection of radioactive glucose. Many cancer cells are highly metabolic and rapidly synthesize the radioactive glucose. Information regarding the location of abnormal levels of radioactive glucose obtained from the whole-body PET/CT scan helps physicians effectively pinpoint the source of cancer and detect whether cancer is isolated to one specific area or has spread to other organs.

The wife and family are less than gung-ho to have their mother injected with radioactive glucose, but it seems the most tolerable of the methods required to update her condition.

Meanwhile, most everything remains status-quo. Mom’s appetite remains spotty, though weight has stabilized since her doctor’s visit. Memory still comes and goes, but she is more proactive and fun since the end of the oil treatment. She remains PAIN FREE. Wife is still enjoying her days with her mother and counting each as a blessing. Sister-in-law remains banished to Siberia-- er, the Jersey Shore, until the middle of next week.

Soon as the results come back from the PET/CT scan, I’ll post them here.
Fingers crossed.
Best to all.

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:32 PM
Just spoke to my wife on the phone. The PET/CT scan has been put on hold while insurance issues are worked out. Hospice had told my brother-in-law that it was possible for his mom to leave hospice, go back on her old insurance plan for the scan and then be reinstated on hospice-- a one-time-only deal. But when he tried to pin the insurance company down, their answer was "get the scan, submit the claim and we'll see if it's covered"-- which is ludicrous given the thousands of dollars this procedure costs. Bro-in-law will be following up for a definitive answer on these coverage issues.
I'll update once I have more information.

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:00 PM
PET/CT scan scheduled for friday morning, 8/5. i'll pass along results once they're available.

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:17 PM
Hello all...
Just received a call from my wife and her brother. Tests are over and mom-in-law came through it like a trooper. Definitive results will not be known until the doctors get a look at the pictures. However, against protocol, the PET/CT scan technician was kind enough to pass along some first-look impressions from the radiologist.

Now, according to my bro-in-law, the original biopsies, forwarded from the oncologist and examined at the well-known cancer hospital John Hopkins, showed cancerous tumors in several areas of mom-in-law’s esophagus, that the cancer was extremely aggressive (no cancer was visible just the year before) and that it had already penetrated into muscle. Looking over the biopsy results from John Hopkins, the oncologist pronounced mom-in-law had “months” to live.

This morning…

Passing along the PET/CT scan results second-hand from the radiologist, the technician told my wife the only cancer observed in her mother was a single mass far down in the esophagus, a mass so small he completely missed it on first look. This tumor is localized-- it HAS NOT METASTASIZED. He called it a “grade 3” on a scale of tumors that he has seen “as high as 20” and told her “you can sleep well tonight”.

I want to caution that the results have not been confirmed by doctors, nor has the family got their hands on the full report which will be available next week. Also keep in mind there was a strict diet and other anti-cancer treatments besides hemp/Simpson oil involved here-- which I will repeat in more detail next week once the scan results are confirmed.

Besides the doctor who prescribed the PET/CT scan, I’ve asked the family to forward the images to the oncologist who made the original cancer diagnosis. In addition, I mentioned I’d like to see the original CAT scans prescribed by that doctor for comparison, but it turns out my wife’s information was erroneous, it was a CAT scan of the brain that was done last year, not the esophagus. The original prognosis was based only on biopsy results from John Hopkins. I’m disappointed not to have two images to compare, but such is the case.

The PET/CT scan conducted on mom-in-law this morning, which is considered the most thorough procedure when it comes to revealing cancer and other abnormalities of the body, did show some chronic pneumonia and a benign cyst on mom-in-law’s kidney, but all-in-all, given where this woman was at one year ago, these first impressions are very, very encouraging and the family is FRIGGIN’ ELATED! It was wonderful hearing the happiness in my wife’s voice.Just wonderful.

I’ll sign off for now with my bro-in-law’s parting words: “We were hoping there would be nothing, but this is the next best thing”.
Best to all.

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:15 PM
Hello all.
Okay...
So my wife and her brother talked to the doctors about the PET/CT scan results and, as you might expect, received two different takes on what's going on inside mom-in-law. The oncologist, a member-in-good-standing with the AMA, said he didn't see anything in the results to get particularly excited about, but admitted the cancer wasn't as fast growing as he first thought. When my brother-in-law pressed the doctor on how much time his mother might live he was told "a few months to a year". Which is funny, considering she had a few months to a year when he handed down his original prognosis over a year ago.

The second doctor, who prescribed the PET/CT scan and runs a holistic center favoring alternative therapies, was more upbeat. While he could not compare the original biopsies with the scan, he did say the cancer is localized and has not metastasized. He gave the tumor a "standard uptake value" of 2.9-3.3, which I understand measures a tumor's growth activity. This rating is considered "mild". This doctor had limited knowledge about Simpson Oil, but suggested following up with a treatment regimen called Vitamin C Intravenous Therapy which is quite expensive and not covered by insurance. He also emphasized the family should keep their mother away from sugars which can feed the cancer and to get her weight up-- which I'll discuss more in a moment.

Anyway, these two takes on mom-in-laws condition are hardly surprising, given that one physician embraces alternative therapies while the other dismisses them in favor of chemotherapy, radiation and surgery.

Neither doctor could compare before and after results with the cancer. Comparing the original cancer biopsies with the PET/CT scan is, according to the radiologist who did the scan, "like comparing apples and oranges". But the bottom line is this; with the oil and all other therapies being tried on mom-in-law, the cancer has not spread. It has not moved. It is localized and neutralized for the time being. But it has not been killed. (By the way...I have all of the pages from the original biopsy report as individual files on my computer and will share them should anyone be interested and can guide me through the posting process. I also have a disc with the PET/CT scan but there's no way I can figure out how to get those 500 plus images uploaded.)

In addition to considering the Vitamin C Intravenous Therapy, the bro-in-law is also looking into "Job's Tears", which apparently is a Chinese plant that has cancer fighting properties. Meanwhile, mom continues on all the treatments mentioned in my earlier posts except apricot seeds and the Budwig Diet (flaxseed and cottage cheese diet) that mom refused to eat. As a side note, the fish oil, cod liver oil and some of the other anti-cancer supplements she is taking are available from the website barleans.com-- and if you suffer from cancer and tell them so, they'll discount your order according to bro-in-law.

Now for an update on mom.

The woman is doing great. Really great. Since her weigh-in at the doctor's office a month ago, she has put almost eight pounds back on her frame and now weighs 100 pounds. She is actually asking for food saying, "I'm hungry, what do we have to eat", which was unheard of just a month ago. My wife doesn't know why this sudden change in appetite, but thinks it might have something to do with the fish oil, cod liver oil and/or the cannabis tincture that mom receives before going to bed each night. By the way, the tincture is also a stop-gap while our friends are whipping up a one year maintenance dose of Simpson Oil. And speaking of the oil, I was told the strain of cannabis they use to make the oil is primarily Black Domina.

Mom's mind is also much improved. According to my wife, her mother has reached some kind of "other plateau" in terms of awareness. She is recalling events from her past in vivid deal and holding long and thoughtful conversations. She still repeats herself, but the symptoms of dementia have greatly diminished. My wife attributes this to an increase in coconut oil (a big thanks go to this forum for turning me on to that). She's giving her mom a big tablespoon of virgin, unrefined coconut oil mixed into a shake twice a day. And both she and her brother are cooking exclusively with coconut oil now. They're so jazzed by the results that they just went out and bought three more jars.

So, for what it's worth, here's my take on all of this.
At the end of the day, no one can really say what is keeping mom's cancer in check. There's no way you can attribute it strictly to the Simpson Oil, as she has been undergoing concurrent alternative therapies for several months now. Heck... they even sprinkled her with some "miracle water" from Lourdes. And something else to keep in mind are the following points: Mom-in-law did not have chemotherapy or radiation prior to starting these therapies. She has never been told she has cancer. She does not know she is taking cannabis-- she just thinks it is an "herb" that is helping her feel better. On the latter point, my wife and brother-in-law saw no point in raising red flags for those who might object to treatments considered less than standard medical procedure. There's too much close-mindedness out there in the world, and they saw no point in butting heads with backward thinking-- not when their mother's life hung in the balance.

As a side note on this topic-- my wife's sister-in-law has a sister-in-law herself who suffers from Lou Gehrig's Disease. Our friends who supply the oil have given cannabis tincture to ALS patients with exciting results. Those patients reported a loosening of painful joints and, in a few cases, were able to speak clearly for the first time in a long, long while. They say cannabis helped them tremendously, and who is anyone to argue? And yet someone in the chain-of-command between my wife and the woman with ALS, turned down the tincture offer-- because it fell outside the norm and wasn't legal. Closed minds, speaking for a woman in constant pain, make me want to spank someone's stupid ass. Ah, well.

Anyway, what I do believe in my gut is that Simpson Oil has worked hand-in-hand with these other therapies, and diet, to keep mom's cancer in check. I also believe--and this I have stated before--that cannabis has kept her pain-free without dosing her up with pharmaceuticals that would have turned her into a dead-eyed zombie... as hospice was advocating.

And that's all I've got, folks.

Unless there's big news to report, this may be my last post for some time. Thanks for everyone's comments, concerns and suggestions. The experience here at Green Passion has been invaluable. As for mom-in-law, it's been a long, difficult road for her and her family... but one well worth the effort. Mom is still with them, still alive and kicking. Best of all, she's pain free and enjoying life with those she loves and those who love her.

And that's worth everything.

I'll check-in from time to time to see if anyone has questions about mom's treatments. If so, I'd be happy to pass them along to my bro-in-law who has done most of the grunt labor and research during his mother's illness. So, until then...
All the best to all of you.

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:24 AM
back with one last, very important, post-script.
while i said the cancer has not been killed. what i should have said is, it has not been killed COMPLETELY. the oil-- perhaps in combination with the other treatments-- may very well have killed cancer in mom-in-law, but no one can truthfully say to what extent. it would have been more accurate to say the cancer has not been killed YET... but at least there's still a road ahead, and that means hope.
here's hoping

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:02 PM
Hello all…
Been awhile. An update on mom-in-law.
Hospice kicked her out today. How’s that for improvement? The folks who are in the business of managing the dying got wind of her PET/CT scan and, combined with their observations over these past few months, they decided mom isn’t dying anymore. The head nurse said “this rarely happens”. Mom will be eligible to go back on hospice again if she takes a turn for the worse, but right now that doesn’t seem to be in the cards.

Two weeks ago my wife transitioned back home with me, and is booked to fly to Jersey twice a month through December. She’s there now and reports her mother has gained more weight. She’s up to 103 pounds and “doing great”. Her mind is still clicking along and she’s engaging in conversation as she has since the oil regimen was stopped a few months ago. The family is continuing to make milk shakes with the coconut oil and believe this is helping with memory. They’ve hired a day nurse to tend to their mother’s needs in lieu of hospice. Sister-in-law remains banished until she can get her head together and come back with a better attitude. No one wants her stress in the household.

All other regimens continue as described in earlier posts, except the Simpson Oil. Something to note about the oil treatment. There was a large gap, perhaps three to four weeks between the time the three month treatment ended and the maintenance dose began. This was too long and the cannabis worked itself out of her system. Plan was to give her a gram per month, breaking that gram into once a week capsules. But the first two doses made her sick and she threw up so everything was put on hold. It was apparently too strong after so much time away. She continues to get the cannabis tincture every night and the Simpson oil maintenance doses will be cut down further and administered over more days starting sometime next week.

That’s all for now. I’ll report back if, and when, there’s news to share.
Best to all.

This is such great info. Also makes me feel good that my usage may prevent Alzheimer's, so when my wife observes (smiling when she says it) that I ingest my weight (an exaggeration) in weed, I can tell her that it not only helps my PTSD but keeps my mind and sense of humor sharp.

:rofl: :rofl:

Another great thread Sue. All pasted into my ever growing note book.

:circle-of-love:

SANTA FE - An advisory panel is recommending to New Mexico health officials that medical marijuana be considered as a tool in the fight against opioid abuse.

Some health professionals tell the Santa Fe New Mexican that expanding the list of conditions that qualify under the state's medical marijuana program could transform New Mexico's landscape of addiction.

The recommendation will need the approval of Health Secretary Lynn Gallagher.

The Medical Advisory Board also voted Friday to recommend that Alzheimer's disease be added as a qualifying condition, and that the Health Department raise the cap on the number of plants a grower can produce to ensure an adequate supply is available for the increase in patients.

Officials say the program has grown over the past year to nearly 33,000 patients.

Best,
canyon

Thanks for this post! :thumb:My father died from this horrible Disease! So It is a great concern to me , that cannabis can help to keep this at bay ! This God given herb is so misunderstood and even feared by so many, when like so many natural plants the benefits to mankind is without question, when used properly and with respect and moderation. Education and removing the veil of ignorance and unwarranted propaganda promulgated by the "Control Freaks" will gradually lead to the freeing of our gardens, homes and nation from the divisive invasion on human rights Cannabis Prohibition has wrought on our nation since it's inception.

Thanks Sue for another "thread of hope". Alzheimer's is a fact of life in my family going back generations. I am the youngest of 10 and lost my 4th sibling this year to it. Interestingly the 3 brothers who served in Viet Nam and I have smoked pot since the mid-late 60's and seem to skirting this so far. My sister in law noted this fact at our last wake. My 2nd oldest brother also smoked occasionally with us for years while golfing ,fishing and hanging at the cabin and though he appeared destined for the big D has only had to deal with severe short term memory loss for about 6 years now.

My family has the fight with Alzheimer's and cancer deaths fresh in our memories. Cannabis could of helped some of the victims, no doubt , at least with being more comfortable! My mother ,a smoker died of brain cancer after fighting several forms of cancer for years. One of my last best moments with her, was sharing a joint in her hospital room a week before she died! She only began to smoke a bit shortly before she expired to aid with nausea and pain. Who knows, if back in the early eighties I had known more about treating with cannabinoids, if we could of saved her more suffering and given us more years to share! :love: My 94 year old dad died from Alzheimer's and I burned out toward the end, trying to care for him and work a fulltime job. I sent him to a nursing home and even though I visited daily those last three months , I have pain in my heart for failing him at his time of need! If I had known about treating with edibles I would of certainly tried them! :ganjamon: I would ,however like to tell about my younger brother who is in bad health. He has been smoking , vaping and using oils/butter since the late 1960's or early 1970's. He also has been a heavy smoker of cigarettes! I will not go into all of his health conditions but focus on one for now. :yikes: He was diagnosed, after xray/cat scan procedures were done about 6 years ago, with a large mass/growth in one lung, about the size of a fist! His heart condition and etc. makes surgery to remove this lung or portion thereof, too dangerous and unlikely to succeed. It did not test as cancerous ,the doctors just saying, "it is perhaps benign form". That does not explain how it got so large or what started it in the first place! It still appears to be just very slowly growing, having increased in size only a very small bit in the past 6 years! He believes it had been slowly growing for maybe 8-10 years before diagnosed! :high-five: He has shown me that vaping or taking a few hits off a pipe increases his oxygen blood level. He has been on full medical retirement and not expected to live more than a year or two, these past six years! He still smokes cigarettes! I am convinced his cannabis use has kept the "growth" in his lung from growing! He has not been on any form of medical treatments for this! :hmmmm: Every thing is relative. If someone dies at 62 with Alzheimer's or cancer but without treatment would likely of died at 55 , is that not successfully treating? I hope someone helps me get the cannabis treatments I need until I pass!:thumb:

My family has the fight with Alzheimer's and cancer deaths fresh in our memories. Cannabis could of helped some of the victims, no doubt , at least with being more comfortable! My mother ,a smoker died of brain cancer after fighting several forms of cancer for years. One of my last best moments with her, was sharing a joint in her hospital room a week before she died! She only began to smoke a bit shortly before she expired to aid with nausea and pain. Who knows, if back in the early eighties I had known more about treating with cannabinoids, if we could of saved her more suffering and given us more years to share! :love: My 94 year old dad died from Alzheimer's and I burned out toward the end, trying to care for him and work a fulltime job. I sent him to a nursing home and even though I visited daily those last three months , I have pain in my heart for failing him at his time of need! If I had known about treating with edibles I would of certainly tried them! :ganjamon: I would ,however like to tell about my younger brother who is in bad health. He has been smoking , vaping and using oils/butter since the late 1960's or early 1970's. He also has been a heavy smoker of cigarettes! I will not go into all of his health conditions but focus on one for now. :yikes: He was diagnosed, after xray/cat scan procedures were done about 6 years ago, with a large mass/growth in one lung, about the size of a fist! His heart condition and etc. makes surgery to remove this lung or portion thereof, too dangerous and unlikely to succeed. It did not test as cancerous ,the doctors just saying, "it is perhaps benign form". That does not explain how it got so large or what started it in the first place! It still appears to be just very slowly growing, having increased in size only a very small bit in the past 6 years! He believes it had been slowly growing for maybe 8-10 years before diagnosed! :high-five: He has shown me that vaping or taking a few hits off a pipe increases his oxygen blood level. He has been on full medical retirement and not expected to live more than a year or two, these past six years! He still smokes cigarettes! I am convinced his cannabis use has kept the "growth" in his lung from growing! He has not been on any form of medical treatments for this! :hmmmm: Every thing is relative. If someone dies at 62 with Alzheimer's or cancer but without treatment would likely of died at 55 , is that not successfully treating? I hope someone helps me get the cannabis treatments I need until I pass!:thumb:

:hug: I wish I was close, and I would be your nurse anytime :hug:

Tim, :hug::hug::hug: The pain of looking back..... We let ourselves forget that once we pass it doesn't matter anymore. We also forget that the law of everything happening in its right time also applies to death and birth, the eternal dance of variety and contrast that lights up our days with feeling and emotion. We call that living. You're apparently very good at this art. Think of the years you have ahead to spread the words of hope and healing.

My husband spent the last four months in nursing care. It ultimately cost him his life, due to their neglect. It was also the first time in our 35 years together that we'd been apart for longer than the occasional business trip. The guilt I carried over that took me a year to release. Dale let it go when he passed. I insisted I needed to suffer just a bit longer.

I see the futility now. It just took longer than I was comfortable in admitting.

To comment on your post, the cannabis use would most certainly contribute to the slowing of the cancerous growth. Given high enough doses his body can begin to get the upper hand, but we're talking suppositories and tacking. Others have succeeded. Cajun springs quickly to mind.

I'm taking part of your comment back to the study hall. I'll see you there. :hug::hug::hug:

Sue, thanks for all your words of wisdom and kindness! My brother seems to be resigned to kill himself with the cigarettes/nicotine ! If I thought he was on board, I would push to him an intensive therapy program! He is a widower, having lost his wife to Lung cancer! I sometimes wonder if he is finishing a love pact for them to go together, doing whatever they pleased! :love: As for the nursing home thing , I loved my dad so much I will never be able to squelch all the guilt's I may feel from our life together! Anyway, I did my best and am fairly ok with that! :love: Mortality is the last frontier we all cross and I admit to some apprehension and fears! Friends , purpose, love, living, and family makes facing it complicated, but we will all pass there and I hope to go calmly and happily dreaming!:thumb:
Tim, :hug::hug::hug: The pain of looking back..... We let ourselves forget that once we pass it doesn't matter anymore. We also forget that the law of everything happening in its right time also applies to death and birth, the eternal dance of variety and contrast that lights up our days with feeling and emotion. We call that living. You're apparently very good at this art. Think of the years you have ahead to spread the words of hope and healing.

My husband spent the last four months in nursing care. It ultimately cost him his life, due to their neglect. It was also the first time in our 35 years together that we'd been apart for longer than the occasional business trip. The guilt I carried over that took me a year to release. Dale let it go when he passed. I insisted I needed to suffer just a bit longer.

I see the futility now. It just took longer than I was comfortable in admitting.

To comment on your post, the cannabis use would most certainly contribute to the slowing of the cancerous growth. Given high enough doses his body can begin to get the upper hand, but we're talking suppositories and tacking. Others have succeeded. Cajun springs quickly to mind.

I'm taking part of your comment back to the study hall. I'll see you there. :hug::hug::hug:

Sue, thanks for all your words of wisdom and kindness! My brother seems to be resigned to kill himself with the cigarettes/nicotine ! If I thought he was on board, I would push to him an intensive therapy program! He is a widower, having lost his wife to Lung cancer! I sometimes wonder if he is finishing a love pact for them to go together, doing whatever they pleased! :love: As for the nursing home thing , I loved my dad so much I will never be able to squelch all the guilt's I may feel from our life together! Anyway, I did my best and am fairly ok with that! :love: Mortality is the last frontier we all cross and I admit to some apprehension and fears! Friends , purpose, love, living, and family makes facing it complicated, but we will all pass there and I hope to go calmly and happily dreaming!:thumb:

In Memory of Dad 12-18- I Forget Fear is stress. Stress is not Truth. I too a heavy smoker . but have no fear Child.

Thank you so much SweetSue for the beautiful information and inspired a lot. Keep Sharing…!!!

I don’t know if it’s possible for me to stop sharing fmmd. Lol!

You’re very welcome. :hug: I’m thankful it was useful. Sometime in the next month or so there’ll be an update with more information.

My 94 year old dad died from Alzheimer's and I burned out toward the end, trying to care for him and work a fulltime job. I sent him to a nursing home and even though I visited daily those last three months , I have pain in my heart for failing him at his time of need

Hello Tim,

As you know, Alzheimer's is a bastard of a disease.

Don't have pain in your heart. Celebrate the time you shared with him. See the experience as it was. Pure love.

And know in your heart that it made a difference to his end of life experience. You were lucky to have each other. :love:

Peace. :peace:

Hi all.....
I wanted to once again step out of the shadows and thank @SweetSue for some behind-the-scenes information and inspiration that she has once again shared with me........
I will now share our experience with you all.

About 2 years ago, my girlfriend's brother started to show signs that something was bothering him. He had lost his job, quietly, nobody knew about it other than him and his family. Apparently this had to do with an incident at work and an accident that happened on a nearby Road. Needless to say, he was let go of his position after 15 years, but nobody really started to put the pieces together. Basically Dave had forgotten whether or not he had done his Circle check on his vehicle before he got in. (No nobody was hurt in the accident that he was in....just himself....inside). Proud man, a man that had provided for his mom, and sisters when he lost his dad. Dave was 11 at the time.

Throughout the past year, we had definitely noticed that something was bothering him and that he was becoming a very secretive and internal person, which was an exact opposite of the man that I had met just a short time before. Always outgoing and bubbly, to throw a Sucker Punch into your stomach kind of guy if you know what I mean LOL.

I had had the opportunity about six months ago to sit down and discuss things with Dave. Not using technical terms or anything but trying to get some information out of him to see if I could figure out what was going on. To me, his memory loss, his slurring of words and forgetfulness of what he was talking about all seemed to lead to the early onset of Alzheimer's disease.

After months of harassing him, is finally got his opportunity to get in for an MRI test. The MRI took about three weeks to get back but sure enough Dave has been diagnosed with Cortical Posterior Atrophy (CPA) or a more refined and rarer version of Alzheimer's disease. The worst part about the disease is that your mind stays sharp, you just see your body starting to deteriorate and you realize that your mind isn't working correctly even though your thoughts are clear (to you).

After a bit of butting heads, Dave agreed to start taking CBD on a daily basis. But, with as with any skeptic and, after seven days he came to me and told him that his month supply was gone LMAO. Needless to say, we concluded that the CBD alone was not working. I recently had the opportunity to harvest my CBDurban, which is an 8: 8 CBD / THC strain. With the help of some calculations behind the scene from Sue and IntheShed, I was able to conclude that my CBD /THC capsules worked out to be about 7 mg/ size 00 capsule. This was all done using my MB2 machine, after decarbing 6 ozs of dry bud.

Dave started on the new capsules about a week ago.

On the weekend, we all recognized this past Sunday as Mother's Day. Needless to say we had a few phone calls to the house as we live with my mother-in-law. Halfway through the day, Dave called..... had a conversation with his mother, wished her happy Mother's Day and that was that. We all asked how he sounded, my mother-in-law said he sounded great and that was that. Yesterday, my girlfriend got home and she had this glow on her face like she couldn't wait to tell me something. Apparently, she had just had a 30+ minute conversation on the phone with her brother David, and you couldn't tell that he had any sort of slurred speech or memory issues whatsoever.

So moving forward, I've planted more CBD strains. I plan on helping everyone I can that will listen. We often sound nuts (my gf and I) as we ramble on about our dog at the dog park.. ...until I bumped into somebody there last week that also takes it for her IBS. My dog BOB takes CBD daily and is a completely different boy since CBD came into his life.

David and Bob are family, I found my second calling......... great timing......

As always a special shout out and thank you to SweetSue and Intheshed for their help.

I will Continue to update this good news story...... Lord knows we could all use some.

Back
Top Bottom