American expat in Mexico

Monty Floyd

As the title states, I am an American, recently retired and relocated in Mexico. I have been enjoying the benefits of the magic herb off and on since the 60's, yes I am "old school".
I have gleaned a lot of information from your site and enjoy it immensely.
Hope to connect with others here of like mind.

:welcome:to 420Mag! We are here to spread Cannabis Awareness and Information across the universe. Please feel free to :surf: Our https://www.420magazine.com/community/ and tell us what you think? I will provide some links to our Legal MMJ Gardens that will blow your mind. These and all 420Mag members will be happy you dropped by to say hello. If there is anything we can assist you with please let us know. Have a great and safe time, see you on the boards.
Here you grow:
Kron's 2010 Summer to Fall Medigrow
OldMedMans's 3rd Grow AirPots and 6 Strains
Irishboy's 1080w GLH Inferno
LED in the VipersNest
Lavendars'-Continual Harvest-5th Grow
Chromes Gone Hempy: "Kushberry" + Bagseed/Bagseed Clone: CFLs!

Wingman 420,
Thanks for the links. I have been surfing around for a few weeks, getting the feel of things before getting onto the forums. looking forward to a mutually benefiting relationship.

Thank you, OldSchooler, I don't know about having a blast, my espanol needs a lot of work and my finances are limited, so, it's not like a vacation. Where I live is very quiet but also very safe. A little too quiet for my tastes, but at least I'm not getting shot at or kidnapped.
If you do visit, take care. There are a lot of places that I would not recommend. For example, I was thinking about going to Tampico, but my two bilingual friends here (the ex police chief and the taxi driver) both warned me not to go there. Too dangerous. Monterrey, is another HOT spot. A nightclub in Cancun was bombed within the last year.
I've been here almost 3 months and it has been very difficult to find any mota.
I've scored 2 times. Both were the same stuff I used to get in Houston for around 60-80 an ounce. Nothing special, run of the mill pot. Here it is sold in 1/4 ounce sealed bags. After removing the stems and seeds, you have about an 1/8 of an ounce which is within the legal limit of 5 grams. This costs 100 mex pesos or about $8 US, depending on the exchange rate. The last weed I had was nearly a month ago. It's been tough finding any. My taxi driver is the one who scored for me the first 2 times as nobody around here will sell to an unknown, especially a gringo. The military and federal police have been very active in patrolling because of the bicentennial yesterday. (Mexico's 200 yr anniversary of their independence). I am hopeful that now things will free up.

Hey Monty hope you had a great Bicentennial in Mexico my friend. What provinces do you think are the safest and which ones are definitely ones to avoid, like Juarez.

BTW I love that you know "mota" Maybe for those who do not know you could explain?
I lived in Miami Bch for years and made many Latin friends from Mexico to Argentina. Once you get to know them and they you it will be much better hang in there.

"mota", well I only know that is what the locals call marijuana, if there's another meaning, I am not aware.
I live in a town called Rioverde, in the state of San Luis Potosi. This state is pretty safe as far as I can tell. SLP is west of Tampico and south of Monterrey. Other than that, I can't be much help but I will ask around and get back to you.
PS
When I say the state is safe, bear in mind that we are not crime free. The 3rd week I was here, the military and the federalies had a shootout with some Mexican Mafia here in Rioverde, so...
Then again, I lived in Houston for almost 40 yrs. and I packed heat wherever I went.

Welcome to the boards. I have friends all over Central America and many have fled Mexico because it has become too dangerous. It is especially dangerous if you get involved with the people involved in drugs there. Petty crime is rampant in Costa Rica and Nicaragua (and the other countries as well, for that matter), but Mexico is down right dangerous. You have a huge Colombian influence there now as they are taking the land routes to get heroin, cocaine, and meth to the USA. Kidnappings and murders are every day occurrences in the bigger cities. Don't even think about living in the border towns. And Money doesn't go as far as it use to in Mexico. I have spent $40 for dinner and $25 for a bottle of quality Tequila in Chihuahua. A lot of things in Mexico and Central America are more money than the USA because of import duties.

If you are there long enough you will integrate and eventually be able to get your mota from the grower before it is compressed. Just make sure you do not step on the toes of any cartel members by hitting on their women, seeing a crime that you shouldn't see, or just otherwise being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Learning Spanish is a funny business. Learning to speak Espanol from the poor working class means you will be speaking like an illiterate. Going to college to learn to speak properly will make you have trouble communicating with the people you deal with the most.

There are many expat sites to assist adjusting to the culture. Most of those sites I seen treat weed smokers like criminals. Beware in advance. There is a very good book that has been around for years by Cark Franz, The peoples guide to Mexico. The site seems to prefer you do not link to outside sites, but the The People's guide to Mexico is a web site for expats too, and you will find lots of information there. Nothing that will help you score weed though. Google it.

hey Monty :thanks: I know the only thing "mota" means is marijuana. :goodjob:
I hear the bullring is really cool there and we all :welcome: you to the 420Mag Family.
:peacetwo:

thank you Wingman, I appreciate it.

G-Dog, thanks for the insight. I keep pretty much to myself. I've gotten pretty good at staying OUT of trouble.
Hoping to grow my own and cut the supplier out completely. First attempt, so wish me luck.

Back
Top Bottom