Amphetamine & Narcotic Kush

EBnFLO:

I understand how you are thinking but SSR has nothing to do with a mechanical relay and I do not know what failed but the terminal 1 is now shorted to the base plate which is wired to chassis ground creating a zero resistance fault. There is a lot of information about the poor quality control on these inexpensive SSRs and perhaps they were no good to begin with? I had no reason to suspect them and did not test them prior to installation. I had the load on the wrong terminal and they failed so was it my fault? I don't know but I would take the blame since it is clear in the spec sheet where to put the load. See the manufacturer's specs here:

So the new ones will be here tomorrow and I can finish this control panel.
DSC0022610.JPG

Ok I am getting ready to start my seeds. I finished the DIY Cob controller yesterday and I am waiting for the silicone seal on my gravity feed top off bucket to dry.

Looks like spaghetti in there...........

DSC0022711.JPG

DSC0023210.JPG
DSC0023010.JPG

Tomorrow I will finish the reservoir system and testing of the light for any dangerous heat buildup in the control box. then maybe start the seeds.

Putting the finishing touches on the new reservoir today. The new DIY Cob light fixture is installed and test runs completed. I had to dial the light back to 350 watts in order to be able to run the CO2 cycle otherwise the heat build up in the tent was too fast. I will be running CO2 on for 30 minutes then exhaust for 10 minutes for 25 - 40 minute cycles in the 18/6 schedule. The first and last 40 minutes the CO2 will be off for wake up and wind down periods. Hopefully I will be posting pictures of the beans getting started today!

DSC0024314.JPG
DSC0024116.JPG

Day 5 update:

True to it's name Amphetamine is off to the races as it broke the surface yesterday and Narcotic Kush is just below the surface and a day or two behind already.

Nutes added to the 5 gallon reservoir today:
my tap water carbon filtered 148 ppm to start
Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt 9.3 ml
Dyna-Gro Foliage-Pro 18.75 ml
Dyna-Gro K-L-N 18.75 ml
Botanicare Hydroguard 10 ml
Mammoth P 3 ml
PH 5.8
558 ppm or 1.12 EC Hanna

DSC0024815.JPG

Day 14 since dropping the beans:

My new DIY LED COB light fixture threw a curveball at me........... TOO much heat!:oops:

The air temperature in the tent was fine but I noticed the growth was really slow so I started checking things; the humidity was a little low but not that low @44%. So I got my infrared temp gun out and discovered that the pebbles and rapid rooters were running at 93°F ....... ouch. The light is so intense compared to my previous LEDs it was heating the surfaces of the net pots too much. I have corrected the situation by turning the outer COBs off and turning the center 4 down to about 60%. I definitely have light to spare in this small tent. Remember I built this light for my future larger grow room. Here are some sad pictures; hope they get over it:

Narcotic Kush

DSC002529.JPG

Amphetamine

DSC0025113.JPG

Cover your rooters... Algae can lead to problems. Make sure no light is getting through the pebbles to the roots too. Algae can steal nutes from the plants
Hope they recover soon from the cob sun they were exposed to. Lol its a kick ass light for sure!

Lazarus13:

Thanks for the reply. Did you look at the design of the net pot on the first page? Current Culture has a complete hydro system including thier own nutes and I reviewed the entire system at a vendor show. This net pot and how they used them showed a lot of positive results so I bought some. Right now the water level is just below the shelf inside of the net pot and the bubble action keeps the rooter moist. As soon as the roots are long enough the net pot is raised (they lower the water level in their system) so that the water line is 1/4 inch below the entire pot and the rooters will dry out preventing any algae and stem rot problems; a few more pebbles are also added at that time for stability. Normally the roots would be long enough by now but I have been cooking the plants slowing them down.

The lights and the DWC system are both new for this grow so I have some learning ahead :scratchinghead:

DSC0018118.JPG
DSC0018414.JPG

It is a beautiful set up indeed. Im going to follow that link as soon as i get home. I would love more head space than i currently have with buckets.

It is a beautiful set up indeed. Im going to follow that link as soon as i get home. I would love more head space than i currently have with buckets.

Yes I got 5" more head space and it holds a true 5 gallons but it is still an experiment. In my planned new grow "room" I will have 96" vertical to work with so I am already looking at 18 gallon containers with actual 15 gallons of nutes for two plants. I am not sure where the law of diminishing returns fall here and I need to do some more research. Here in California we are now allowed to grow 6 plants at a time; that would mean 45 gallons of nutes in three reservoirs. That may get expensive.:morenutes:

Ok I killed this grow today.

In an attempt to learn from my mistakes I have dissected the failed plants. Let's look at the facts:

1. both plants failed which points to environment. Some potential factors:
a. The seeds may have got too cold in storage as my refrigerator froze one time this past summer.
b. I had the lights turned up too high and the seedlings hit 93°F.
c. This is the first time I have used Rapid Rooters the Mandala seed companies states not to use them because of a PH problem.

2. the roots appear to have a type of root rot on one of them the other is simply bound in the Rapid Rooter.
a. The root rot looks a lot like nematode damage?
b. The rapid Rooters were too wet, they are too dense - air could not get in.

3. Once the tap root exited the Rapid Rooter it did not get better.
a. some type of pathogen?

So all of the above are valid potential problems and a lack of vigor due to freezing the seeds may be a leading factor in the plants not being able to exit the Rapid Rooters in time to avoid root problems.

I think the main issue is the density of the Rapid Rooters is not compatible with the DWC method I use to germinate the seeds. The RR stays too wet and air cannot get to the roots. In a soil based system I don't think this would occur. In the past I have used Park Seeds Bio-Dome sponges which are far less dense and smaller physically to germinate seeds successfully.

I have ordered the replacement seeds and will restart this grow after sanitizing my system then using the Park's sponges. I use the 60s size sponge.

16 days since germination:

DSC0026014.JPG

Ugly root problem:

DSC0025616.JPG
DSC0025914.JPG
DSC0026712.JPG

That's to bad Man, hope it all goes better round 2.
I was gonna check out rapid rooters on our next grow. After seeing this I may just stick to rockwool we been using.

May i ask how you sprout your beans? Its nice to knowbhow other dwc folks do it. We just place a dry bean in rockwool then place rockwool in net poet with hydroton. Then let submersible pump, pump water up to pot.

Some people tell us we do it wrong but it works and cuts out time having to put seeds in paper towels till they crack.

Sent from my SM-G530T using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hi Twin:

I used Rockwool a long time ago until I got a fiber stuck in my thumb and it got all infected. Then I started thinking about inhaling those floaty pieces that would catch the sunlight in the greenhouse and I decided not for me. That is when I started using Park Seeds Bio-Dome Sponges. I have had great success using their system for vegetables that are hard to germinate.

Now to the cannabis farm: Never use a glass of water or paper towels to start seeds. They always need air they cannot get while submerged and paper towels rip off potential lateral roots that grow into the fibers. I believe in planting right into the medium that they will spend their entire life in. Do not transplant - period. I have used Top Fed DWC with the Bio-dome sponges Just letting the top water barely touch the sponge keeping it wet. The problem with that is that after the roots are in the reservoir you don't want the crown to get wet anymore. I can cause Stem Rot and other molds and fungi. So while attending a vendor show I discovered the net posts I open this thread with. The theory is sound on how to use them but RRs are not good since the bubble action keeps them too wet. Current Culture uses rockwool. I will be using the Bio-dome sponges next so keep posted.

Happy growing,

I'd like to share the way i start my seeds for dwc if i may. I put my seeds in damp paper towels just until they crack and i see the faintest bit of white and then straight into my hydroton about 3/4s of the way down. I cover them with a single layer of pellets until i can see the cotyledons start to peek and then add another single layer. Repeat until my net pot is full and then put a humidity dome over it all. After about a week the dome comes off a few hours at a time to help the seedling harden and after a few days it comes off for good. I also use a submersible pump during this time to top feed for 15 minutes twice a day during the light cycle. Once i see the first root tip poke out of the side of the pot the pump comes out and i lwt the bubbles do their thing. I have had 100% success with this so far and this is around my 12th time doing it. Just my method but there are many ways to get where you want to be.

Hi Twin:

I used Rockwool a long time ago until I got a fiber stuck in my thumb and it got all infected. Then I started thinking about inhaling those floaty pieces that would catch the sunlight in the greenhouse and I decided not for me. That is when I started using Park Seeds Bio-Dome Sponges. I have had great success using their system for vegetables that are hard to germinate.

Now to the cannabis farm: Never use a glass of water or paper towels to start seeds. They always need air they cannot get while submerged and paper towels rip off potential lateral roots that grow into the fibers. I believe in planting right into the medium that they will spend their entire life in. Do not transplant - period. I have used Top Fed DWC with the Bio-dome sponges Just letting the top water barely touch the sponge keeping it wet. The problem with that is that after the roots are in the reservoir you don't want the crown to get wet anymore. I can cause Stem Rot and other molds and fungi. So while attending a vendor show I discovered the net posts I open this thread with. The theory is sound on how to use them but RRs are not good since the bubble action keeps them too wet. Current Culture uses rockwool. I will be using the Bio-dome sponges next so keep posted.

Happy growing,
I too wonder about the fibers floating. I am from a construction background and am familiar with fiberglass insulation.

I will follow this to see your plugs you are gonna use.

Sent from my SM-G530T using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom