Becca's 4-gallon SIP Bucket Conversion

After a lot of reading and research inspired by the SIP Club (thank you @Azimuth ) I've decided to convert my existing 4 gallon square buckets into SIP planters. I got these buckets a couple years ago, perforated the bottoms and sides for drainage, installed 1"h x 1.5"d rubber feet to keep them up out of the run-off, and grew a couple of good crops with them. Now I'm going to "supercharge" these growing containers by turning them into Sub-Irrigated Planters to increase my yield!

SIP_Rebuild.jpg

The 4-gallon square buckets paying for themselves a while ago.​

Since these 6 buckets have already been perforated for drainage, I decided to get 6 more buckets and construct dual bucket SIP systems with a wicking cone in the upper planter bucket. The lower bucket will be the reservoir with a capacity of 1 gallon. Again, thanks to Azimuth for posting this YouTube DIY SIP video that details the construction.

I thought about using 20 ounce paint mixing cups for the wicking cone, then I thought, hey, how about a netpot? Long story short, I found a steal of a deal on a 10-pack of 5" netpots for $7.50 w/ free shipping, AND they meet my dimensional requirements!

netpot-5inch.jpg
20230626_141231.jpg
20230626_141346.jpg

Holy smoke, Batman! Your bucket has a leak!​

I thought about cutting the 5" hole for the netpot with a jig saw and decided to get an inexpensive set of hole saws to do the job right. The first bucket took less than a minute to cut the 5" hole, so it paid for itself already in my book. I also added an additional (28) 0.25" holes in the bottom so the soil can breathe and drain, and I'm thinking about adding 12 more holes on each of the four sides to give the soil more air.

Next, I need to figure out how high above nominal nesting height the planter bucket needs to be when installed in the reservoir bucket. To do that, I dumped a gallon of water (the target reservoir capacity) into a new, unperforated reservoir bucket and measured the depth. It read about 3.38 inches, which is about what I expected:
1 U.S. gallon = 231 cubic inches and the bottom of the bucket is 8.25 inches x 8.25 inches, or 68.0625 square inches, therefore the theoretical depth is 231/68.0625 = 3.394 inches. Check.

20230627_155220.jpg
3_380in.jpg

One gallon takes up how much space?
I put the netpot into a gallon plastic bag and pushed it through the 5 inch hole in the planter bucket, down into the water to see how much it displaced and raised the level. Tests showed that the drain hole on the reservoir bucket will need to be approximately 4 inches above the bottom to correspond to a 1 gallon capacity when the netpot is packed with soil. Further, mounting the planter bucket 1.5 inches above it's nominal nesting height will position the planter to provide a 1" air gap between the bottom of the planter bucket and the water in the full reservoir.
That, as it turns out, is pretty convenient because I have the 1.5 inch diameter rubber feet and stainless steel hardware that no longer are needed on the bottoms and can be mounted on the sides of the planter buckets to raise it just the right amount. 1x2 furring strip would work also but I would need to cut & mount (24) 6-inch lengths so rubber foot recycle is a win-win and all the hardware is stainless steel!

20230629_112551.jpg
20230629_134008.jpg
20230629_134105.jpg

Recycled rubber feet and measured the depth of the reservoir with planter installed, 4.8 inches.​

Next I’ll fit the reservoir bucket for an overflow drain composed of a 0.75”ID Grommet for a 1-1/8” mounting hole with 1/16” panel thickness and a 0.75” barbed PVC elbow.

20230707_195128.jpg

For a 1 gallon capacity the grommet needs to be mounted 4.1 inches above the bottom of the bucket by cutting a hole with the 1-1/8 hole saw. The grommet is fitted into the hole first and the elbow is then installed with a bit of Vaseline or silicone grease to ease assembly.

20230707_223836.jpg

All there is now is to drill the 1-1/4 inch hole in the bottom corner of the planter bucket for the 1" PVC filler pipe, prep the netpot and start loading up some soil!

20230629_133102.jpg

Netpot lined with paper towel, wicks installed and placed in the planter. Tomorrow the filler pipe.​

The Bill of Materials
(2) 4-Gallon Square Buckets, Part Number S-13650BL
(1) 5-inch Netpot, Part Number HYC-NP500-B
(1) 18 inch long piece of Schedule 40 PVC pipe, 1 inch Inside Diameter
(1) Rubber Grommet, 3/4 inch Inside Diameter, 1-1/8 inch Mounting Hole, 1/16 Panel Thickness
(1) Barbed Elbow, 3/4 inch, PVC
(3) 6 inch length of 1/4 inch braided nylon rope wicks, ends melted to prevent fraying
(4) plastic rectangle 1.5inch x 6inch x 0.5inch and 6-32 stainless steel hardware or big rubber feet + hardware
Optional: Unwoven cloth if desired to line netpot. Paper towel works just as well.

Tool List
Drill Motor, 1/2 chuck
1/4 inch drill bit, High Speed Steel or better
1-1/8 inch sole haw
1-1/4 inch hole saw
5 inch hole saw
Phillips screwdriver, #1
7/16 socket wrench, or an adjustable wrench
Pocket knife or deburring tool

Hey @BeccaBuds , that's a great build! :thumb:

Cross post that over in #SIP Club if you will with a link back here as I'm sure many will want to follow your grow.

Depending on how long you veg your plants you might need fewer at a time or a bigger (or more) grow space(s).

For your fill tube, if you move up to the 1 1/4" size, you'll be able to use the top of a standard water bottle as a funnel for when you water. Alternatively you could just add a 1" coupler to the top of the 1" pipe if you already have that and accomplish the same thing.

And I like to make sure the reservoir has constant access to air even when it's filled. To do that, I have my fill tubes stop just after entering the air space but you could drill holes in the fill tube for the length that's below the soil line.

Thanks for the tag! :ciao: I'm really looking forward to your grow. What mix and nutes do you grow with?

Hey @BeccaBuds , that's a great build! :thumb:

Cross post that over in #SIP Club if you will with a link back here as I'm sure many will want to follow your grow.

Depending on how long you veg your plants you might need fewer at a time or a bigger (or more) grow space(s).

For your fill tube, if you move up to the 1 1/4" size, you'll be able to use the top of a standard water bottle as a funnel for when you water. Alternatively you could just add a 1" coupler to the top of the 1" pipe if you already have that and accomplish the same thing.

And I like to make sure the reservoir has constant access to air even when it's filled. To do that, I have my fill tubes stop just after entering the air space but you could drill holes in the fill tube for the length that's below the soil line.

Thanks for the tag! :ciao: I'm really looking forward to your grow. What mix and nutes do you grow with?
Hi @Azimuth, I will post the reference link over on #SIP Club, and thank you for the recommendation re the filler pipe size.
Unfortunately I won't be able start a crop of cannabis right away to test the concept. I am moving soon and my grow closet is dismantled for the present.
I am going to test this first prototype with some tobacco out on the patio. Tobacco is very fast growing and has heavy nutrient requirements like cannabis. I have sprouted some & started a post in the Non-420 Gardening sub-forum called Havana Gold, Nicotiana Tabacum to track it's growth.
I am sure it's going to work like a charm.

Very Nice DIY SIP ! Really like it when someone puts out the time & effort to do a great job. Looks like you're nailing it.
Thanks, @Buds Buddy. It's gotta be the only bucket on earth with a netpot mounted in the bottom right now, lol! That and being able to recycle the feet have made it work out well. As I said to Azimuth, I can't run weed right now so tobacco will be the test crop. Link is Havana Gold, Nicotiana Tabacum.

This rig will breathe really well. The original 6 buckets all nested very snuggly, however the new 6 I just got appear to be from a different vendor and the old "planter" buckets fit fairly loosely nested in the new "reservoir" buckets and there's maybe 3/32" air gap all the way around. Drilling more holes in the sides of the planter will result in great aeration of the media. In addition, I'm going to perforate the bottom 4" of the filler pipe with 1/8" holes and 2 vertical slots, so between the filler pipe, drain pipe & loose fit, both res & planter get plenty of air.

Hahaha wow holy shit that’s a big foot , what’s the science behind it ? Any reason it’s so big ? Will they not be exposed to too much water ?

Mine was accidentally too big lol I underestimated the size of the buckets n got these off an old system there 8inch nets hehe I’d love them for a bigger 3gal sip but I think I gota downsize

I like netnpot inside it’s quite easy to stand em on small stands made from buckets upside down with hole in if you need to check anything n keeps floor from messing lol

I means 30 gal sip not 3 lol I can’t edit it haha
:laughtwo:

That makes more sense. I grow in 2 gal SIPs and an 8" net pot would be basically the entire width. (The bottom is 9" total I think).

A 30 gallon SIP??!!? Holy crap! That would take some veg time to fill out, but would lead to a monster plant. You'd probably have to have it on an automatic drip system or something as you'd be watering it by the multiple gallons once it got going. :eek:

I thought about that 5 inch diameter net pot, but smaller diameters are shorter & the rope wicks would need to be longer. Testing will tell! It has a gallon capacity and an inch of air gap when full so I think I'm ok.
Meanwhile the planter bucket has gotten an additional (12) 1/4" holes per side, for a subtotal of 15 each side on approx 2 x 2 matrix, plus 32 on the bottom. 92 breathing & drainage holes total. The 1-1/4" hole for the filler tube is cut, with 2 small holes at the top corner to pass a nylon cable tie through to secure the filler pipe at the top of the bucket. I think that's enough holes, lol!
Last night I filled the net pot with soil and started wetting it. Still need to hit up Home Despots for some 1" PVC for the filler pipe, and a 1" slip-slip PVC coupler so I can use a 2L bottle top for a funnel. The first one is all but done now.

20230708_135248.jpg
20230708_154940.jpg
20230709_150647.jpg

I thought about that 5 inch diameter net pot, but smaller diameters are shorter & the rope wicks would need to be longer.
Wait. Rope wicks? In a SIP? Is that just so the very bottom of the reservoir can be reached?

Yes, the net pot, at 4" high, doesn't quite reach the bottom, so I extended the reach with braided nylon to get my 1 gallon capacity goal. I did it so capillary action isn't interrupted until the bottom bucket is empty. The six rope leads only needed to reach 3/4" but I made them so they extend 1-1/4" from the bottom of the net pot. So it's sort of a SIPWick. Or something... I used nylon because it will last longer.

Yes, the net pot, at 4" high, doesn't quite reach the bottom, so I extended the reach with braided nylon to get my 1 gallon capacity goal. I did it so capillary action isn't interrupted until the bottom bucket is empty. The six rope leads only needed to reach 3/4" but I made them so they extend 1-1/4" from the bottom of the net pot. So it's sort of a SIPWick. Or something... I used nylon because it will last longer.
Back when I was experimenting with swicks I researched different wicking materials and I ended up with polypropylene rope which I think was because it worked better than nylon. But you're not relying solely on the rope so should be fine. Just keep it in the back of your mind if you have issues.

Interesting. Both polypropylene and nylon are pretty much inert to water and have good chemical resistance. I would think capillary action would be dependent on the diameter of the individual strands and the number of them.
The big thing is avoiding standing water in the bottom. Bad ju ju... skeeters, fungus gnats & worse...

Picked up a 10 ft length of 1" ID Schedule 40 PVC and cut it into (6) 20" lengths. Completed the prototype bucket by notching the bottom of the filler pipe on one side at the bottom with a miter saw and drilled 3/16" holes every half inch in the filler up to 4" height to insure it can't plug up, and put a slip-slip coupler on it to accept the funnel made from a 1L water bottle and secured the filler with a cable tie. Time to load it up with soil and try it out! ;)

20230711_174522.jpg

20230711_175337.jpg

Back
Top Bottom