Pericodaking's Hydro Bucket Construction

Pericodaking

Ok folks as promised here is the construction of my hydro bucket, first is the parts list and associated costs and where to purchase and the pix with descriptions, may not be the greatest how to posting but i'll give it my best shot!
ok so here goes
1 5 gallon bucket - home depot - 2.98
1 lid for the 5 gallon bucket - hone depot - .98
1 Laguna 2 submersible pump - petsmart - 16.50
1 package of tubing, sorry i forget the size but - home depot - 6.98
6 zip ties - anywhere you can get them or buy from home depot for 5 bucks
1 top fin air pump - petsmart - 9.99 for a 10 gallon pump
4 3 liter bottles of poland spring - supermarket - on sale for 4 for 5 bucks
1 package of 6 airstones - petsmart - about 4 bucks
2 net pots - hydro store - 2.00 (big) .12(small)
grodan rock cubes - hydro store - 6.50 for a 32 pack
1 10 liter bag of hydroton - 9.99 hydro store
total cost - $70.04
growing your own trees with a homemade Deep Water Culture system - F*CKING PRICELESS!

step one - take your five gallon bucket and cut a space on the side to let the power cord for the pump and and the tubing for the airstone hang out. then take your 3 liter bottles of water and fill the bucket after you've sanitized it.
2. cut off the bottom half of one of the bottles, and place it on top of the lid, mark 3-4 spots where it will be hanging from underneath.
3. place the net pot upside down on the lid and trace, cut out the hole, then take your trusty dewalt drill and drill the holes for your zip ties.
IMG00365-20090512-1033.jpg

IMG00364-20090512-1033.jpg

IMG00362-20090512-1033.jpg

once you are at this point, take the bottom half of the 3 liter bottle you cut and drill some holes in the bottom, and 3 in the sides for the zip ties, make sure you drill enough holes so the container drains faster than it floods to keep the oxygen level in the water nice and high.
insert zip ties through the holes and cut down 3 more to use and anchors at the top. (turn them backwards so they don't interfere with your net pot.)
then drill a large enough hole in the side of the container to place the pump tubing through, attach an airstone to one of the smaller holes (anyone will do) and ailine tubing as well.
IMG00363-20090512-1033.jpg

IMG00366-20090512-1035.jpg

keep the container level high enough so the nutrient water fills the lower portion of the net basket. you can lower it as the plant grows.
attach everything and plug in, place your sprout or seed in your grodan cube place in the smaller net basket, place in larger net basket with hydroton (wash it first to get the dust off, sub pumps don't like particles, and place and use the top half of the same 3 liter container you cut as a humidity dome....and voila Deep Water Culture!
IMG00371-20090512-1043.jpg

IMG00383-20090512-1245.jpg

IMG00382-20090512-1245.jpg

placed in pre-nutrient soaked grodan cube....
IMG00381-20090512-1245.jpg

and then a few hours later, i think everything is working lol!
IMG00400-20090512-1447.jpg

more to come soon!!!!

Ok slight improvement to the bucket, the CD spindle top is what's used as the catch, and I've also found that 4 zip ties work better than 3 as far as structural integrity is concerned. and also the Laguna 1 pump works better than the 2, so a bit of trial and error on my part, so that way it's right the first time for anyone that wants to give it a shot!
:ganjamon:

any ideas on how to adapt the system to multiple plants? like, 6 in a homebuild cabinet.

and are you going to scrog?

any ideas on how to adapt the system to multiple plants? like, 6 in a homebuild cabinet.

and are you going to scrog?

yea, actually I was thinking about using a tupperware tub with one of those small tupperware dishes to use as the catch and put two or three long airstones in it, I'd need multiple pumps as well or one big one with split tubing. hmmm we'll see what happens:ganjamon:
deff gonna do scrog on my fourth grow, I'm doing two right now soil and hydro so i'm not what i'll do the scrog in just yet.
Damn good idea, man.
thanks Janx!

The one thing I can say about hydro vs soil, is soil is soo messy sometimes, especially after a transplant, i've had to transplant during flowering and it sucks, dirt all in the buds and stuck to the tricomes, hella annoying bro, water systems are muuuuuch easier imo, yea ya have to watch the ph and ppms like a hawk but no transplant,m minimal flush, 30% increase in growth rate are all +s in my book

Back
Top Bottom