Hydro Bucket Construction

You're right JDJP I did say that and I don't know why I did on this thread. I leave the hydro bucket on 24hrs and the 15/15 was intended for the propagator. That marijuana sometimes... :oops:

this should be a sticky, if i didnt have to grow stealth, this would be my set -up!! which makes me think this.... any modifiers out there that want to shrink this setup for a stealth grow?

Looks like a lot of work IMHO. I just put an aquarium air stone in the bottom, no water pump. The roots on a medium size plant will be out of that spool lid and all over the place.

I could have smoked two fatties in the time it would take to put that together.

In fact, I think I'll do just that.

Later .... |:^{)

Labrat

Hi LaBrat you must be new. Welcome aboard! I must say I like to think outside of the box and inspire new ideas via unconventional methods and see what happens...or I just like to have fun. I've created my own little lab you could say, but rodent free. Never been one for animal testing.

Why not just throw a seed out your window instead? You could easily smoke at least one fatty in the time you save with messing with those pesky aquarium stones and water pumps.

Cheers!

Thanks JerseyCityHaz. In fact I have used a bigger basket each time. The 3 inch was too small, the plant actually pushed it through the lid and down into the cd spool lid.

A 20oz. red Solo cup jammed partway through the hole in the lid works pretty good and as it's larger on top the plant can't push it through the hole into the bucket (although the root growth can pretty much destroy the cup and then you've got a few clay balls to pick out of the bucket at the end lol).

Of course, with a final root mass bigger than some folks' plants... I forgot what I was going to type lmao.

The cd spool lid I have been using is the cover on a 50 pack spool of cds. At first I adjusted the height of the basket throughout the grow but have decided that it doesn't really matter. I like to raise the bucket so about a half inch of the bottom of the basket is submerged in the water. I leave it at this level from the beginning and it works fine. If anything, do some experimenting if you're unsure and see what happens. The plant will let you know if something isn't working. And yes the pump fills the cup and spills over.

What happens during an extended power failure? Does your nute solution level come high enough in the bucket to reach the "pot?" If so, I'm confused as to the reason for the cd-spool lid. If not, then I'd still vote for not having it in there and just filling the bucket up.

Also, do you run more than just the one air stone? I used to run three of those, a long "air-wand" stone, and one of those stick-on (inside the res) pump things that sucks the "water" and blows it out/down with injected air. And I'd often throw in a little H2O2 for an extra oxygen boost. The roots seemed to love it although they would usually eat the airstones about the time the cycle finished lol.

I entered a science experiment where I set stuff on fire when I was in 5th grade and got an honorable mention.

I was the reason that my elementary school rewrote the rules to state no inflammable objects, open flames, etc. Did you know that back in the day you could order white phosphorous from those scientific catalogs that were sent to every science teacher in the country and then thrown out? They would ship it submerged in kerosine so it wouldn't self-ignite in the presence of air or water. They also added a rule about no exploding experiments (I had a year left to go in that school, I guess they were thinking ahead lmao).

On average I have been yielding around 5.5oz per plant.

Not bad depending on the square footage of your screen and your lights. I had gotten 12oz. a few times per plant with a screen just a smidgen over 8 square feet and a 430-watt Son Agro each when I managed to get the screen perfectly full with one bud site per hole so that I could have one cola growing up through each but there were times when I hadn't managed to get the screen filled before the "mad growth" stopped. Couple of times I had excess growing between the screens and the partitions and wandering all over because I waited too long but I don't think it helped the totals at all. Harvesting was always entertaining, get the light out of the partition, unhook the screen from the partitions, take the saws-all and cut through the trunk while two people had the screen, and carry the screen in to the table as a unit. Used to joke that you could lay the screen over a hole and walk across the buds lol. But... Sometimes the "training" was the stuff of nightmares when there was mad growth here and holes to be filled WAY back over there and you'd have to spend an hour and a half gently rearranging half of them just to get it the way you wanted it. Getting lazy... seemed to cost about 33% of the yield.

Nice to see another ScROG fan who doesn't mind a little extended veg times! +REPS (If I don't forget.)

Thanks for the thread, it kind of brought back some old memories. Hey, you ever build a combination bucket and screen on wheels so you could have one in veg while you rotated two more in and out of the light because you thought it'd be easier than building a few more partitions and going on a road-trip to pick up more lights? <PSST!> It's a REAL pain in the butt but it can be done. Just make sure you lock the door before the daily rotation so your boss doesn't pick then to walk in shouting, "Hey, you forgot to pick up your paycheck so I brought it by." It gets kind of interesting lol.

Hi LaBrat you must be new. Welcome aboard! I must say I like to think outside of the box and inspire new ideas via unconventional methods and see what happens...or I just like to have fun. I've created my own little lab you could say, but rodent free. Never been one for animal testing.

Why not just throw a seed out your window instead? You could easily smoke at least one fatty in the time you save with messing with those pesky aquarium stones and water pumps.

Cheers!

Throwing seeds outside doesn't work around here, (check my location). We don't get 12 hours of dark until Aug. 15 or so then killer frost by Aug. 20-31. I need some LowRyderXs to function outdoors aroud here in the Great White North.

Haha I'm just messin with ya bro. My buddy did that once and not until the plant was about a foot and a half tall did we notice it in our front yard. We had a retired sheriff living next door too so it was a trip that it got so big without anyone noticing. We pulled it asap.

nice system i like the creativity. on the 15/15 how much water do you pump in the 15 minute period its on. and what type of container do u use to hold water with nutes? unless im not understanding it correctly..is the water and nutes at the bottom of bucket?

Wow bro, you could've started your own thread with this reply and a half. Anyways...nearly all the questions I get asked have been asked before and all the answers are in my threads. But since a couple have become quite long it gets easy to overlook when skimming through so I'll try to help you out.

A 20oz. red Solo cup jammed partway through the hole in the lid works pretty good and as it's larger on top the plant can't push it through the hole into the bucket (although the root growth can pretty much destroy the cup and then you've got a few clay balls to pick out of the bucket at the end lol).

A 20oz. red Solo cup simply will not work. I can assure you this. Net pots are shaped the same as a Solo cup but Solo cups too thin and just not suitable for this setup. Net pots are like $0.35 too.

What happens during an extended power failure? Does your nute solution level come high enough in the bucket to reach the "pot?" If so, I'm confused as to the reason for the cd-spool lid. If not, then I'd still vote for not having it in there and just filling the bucket up.

The CD spool lid acts as a water level regulator so a standardized (2 gallon increments) and minimal amount of nutrients and water can be used in the most efficient manner . Given the limited space I have to work with, this has proven to be very beneficial.

As far as the extended power outage goes, one has never happened so I concern myself with them as much as I do with velociraptors.

Also, do you run more than just the one air stone? I used to run three of those, a long "air-wand" stone, and one of those stick-on (inside the res) pump things that sucks the "water" and blows it out/down with injected air. And I'd often throw in a little H2O2 for an extra oxygen boost. The roots seemed to love it although they would usually eat the airstones about the time the cycle finished lol.

The CD spool lid also acts as an air stone and more. The water overflowing from the bucket naturally introduces oxygen into the water when it hits the water surface of the reservoir and unlike air stones, it mixes the nutes in the water very thoroughly at the same time. This is one reason I didn't settle on just the DWC method when I decided to grow my first plant. By the end the roots do eat the airstone. Luckily the come in multi-packs and are very cheap.

I was the reason that my elementary school rewrote the rules to state no inflammable objects, open flames, etc. Did you know that back in the day you could order white phosphorous from those scientific catalogs that were sent to every science teacher in the country and then thrown out? They would ship it submerged in kerosine so it wouldn't self-ignite in the presence of air or water. They also added a rule about no exploding experiments (I had a year left to go in that school, I guess they were thinking ahead lmao).

I like fire.

Thanks for the thread, it kind of brought back some old memories. Hey, you ever build a combination bucket and screen on wheels so you could have one in veg while you rotated two more in and out of the light because you thought it'd be easier than building a few more partitions and going on a road-trip to pick up more lights? <PSST!> It's a REAL pain in the butt but it can be done. Just make sure you lock the door before the daily rotation so your boss doesn't pick then to walk in shouting, "Hey, you forgot to pick up your paycheck so I brought it by." It gets kind of interesting lol.

The box is on wheels. It would probably be easier to just switch the lights instead of the plant IMO.

If my boss came by my home I would dropkick him. No joke. He must know that because he has never come by.

My setup is specifically tailored to MY available space/resources. Unfortunately I can only grow in my closet or you would be seeing Stratlogic's Hydro Warehouse ScrOG Grow. I have plans for bigger boxes with separate chambers but they just aren't practical with my current living space.

A 20oz. red Solo cup simply will not work. I can assure you this. Net pots are shaped the same as a Solo cup but Solo cups too thin and just not suitable for this setup. Net pots are like $0.35 too.

I had no idea that they were that cheap. Wish I'd known back in the day. You're right about the Solo cups being thin - I was only able to get one harvest per set of cups. Which meant that I went through an entire package of them in a year. I think it was one of those "end of summer" sale items that I got for like a buck though, so it wasn't too hard to just throw them away each time. But still, if the net cups are sturdy enough to reuse I'll check into them. I hate adding to the world's trash, especially plastic.

BTW, how do you get them separated from the roots after harvest, just trim as close to the outside of the net pot as possible with a pair of utility scissors and pull the remainder back through?

As far as the extended power outage goes, one has never happened so I concern myself with them as much as I do with velociraptors.

We live away from real cities here so unfortunately they are a fact of life for us. Not often of course, just a handful of times a year but that's enough for growers around here to wish they had a generator. I assume you mean the dinosaur and not the WD hard drive. Yeah, not likely to run into a velociraptor I guess. Now, had you said "black bears," well, we live away from real cities here so... Just a handful of times a year lol.

velociraptor The CD spool lid also acts as an air stone and more. The water overflowing from the bucket naturally introduces oxygen into the water when it hits the water surface of the reservoir

That is an excellent point. The majority of oxygenation happens at the water:air interface through "agitation" of the surface.

The box is on wheels. It would probably be easier to just switch the lights instead of the plant IMO.

MUCH!

If my boss came by my home I would dropkick him. No joke. He must know that because he has never come by.

Wow, I have to date only worked for one person that wouldn't have been welcome in my home. And I quit that job when I found myself wondering what kind of dent the blunt object in my hand would make in his skull. I feel for you, sucks to work for d.-bags.

My setup is specifically tailored to MY available space/resources. Unfortunately I can only grow in my closet or you would be seeing Stratlogic's Hydro Warehouse ScrOG Grow. I have plans for bigger boxes with separate chambers but they just aren't practical with my current living space.

I think it's a good setup, please don't get the wrong idea. In fact, I've "filed" it for future reference to show people when they ask me about home-built hydroponics systems. I had just never seen anything exactly like that and posted in hopes of learning more. Plus, I like to "tinker," so who knows, one day I might get back into things and try it myself. I know it has been productive for you.

Thanks for the discussion!

Thats right Brett, 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off. I found the perfect timer for that setup at Petsmart in the fish department for 8 clams. Anything more than 15 minutes could be too much. Could dry the little girls out.

i like yr set up uve got or had?? im growin in soil at the mo but when i saw this layout i went n purchesed most of the stuff straight away, just got to wait for aan air pump! now here comes the question? you say you had yr pump on 15/15 through out. but what pump air or sub. coz this will be the first bucket im gonna do n i wanna check out which is best soil or the bucket

thank:smokin:

could the same system be adapted to a rubbermaid tote? I'd like to grow more than one plant at a time, And i imagine you wouldnt want to put more than 2 in a bucket, if that.

Any ideas? Would the CD spool lid be necesary? and if so, could you think of anything else one could use in its place? I imagine finding that many CD spool lids might become hard.

Strat,
Your posts are so fantastic, I wish I had mad rep to give but alas I am new so hands are tied, but damn fine job bro.

All of your threads are bookmarked for future reference dude....thank you!

how easy would it be to use one air pump on several different buckets?

I wonder how much power the pump would lose with a few TEEs in the line, teeing off to several more buckets.

would this would make it a little easier to run several buckets at once?

how easy would it be to use one air pump on several different buckets?

I wonder how much power the pump would lose with a few TEEs in the line, teeing off to several more buckets.

would this would make it a little easier to run several buckets at once?

Check your local pet store. They make small air manifolds with lots of outlets. They also make air pumps with lots of outlets.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom