Hydro Bucket Construction

ToastedBuddy - When the plant gets too big to change the water, by that time its sucking up a lot more water. I'll have to add plain water 2-3 times a week when budding. So to answer your question, I don't change it, I just add more.
Racefan - I would have to disagree. I believe the plant does benefit. But that's just me. I also benefit from it too. It stoner proofs me from letting the water get too low in it's early stages. haha.

Thanks guys. Hey hippie, not sure what the gph is but I do know it isn't much. 20-30gph max. I bought the cheapest one Petsmart had and it worked out great.

Hey man! thanks for the come back....I believe the gph is gallons per hr but been wrong before.....you answered exactly what i was needing brother....theres a petsmart not too far from here. thanks man..peace
Hippie

Yeah im a soil grower but am def thinking of copying your set up if you wouldnt mind me doing so........... Im very impressed. Its a lil random and dont know if you know or not but do you know how much more you were paying to run the pumps? IM worrieing about spending too much to get it all together and not getting it all back within a reasonable timeframe.

Word happiehippie. Glad to help. You got it about the gallons per hour.

eBUD: Energy use is minimal at best with the pumps I use with my single setup. Nothing more than a small fish tank uses. Both air and water pumps were the smallest/cheapest I could find. I'm not too sure what you mean about your timeframe. My setup requires at least three months from start to finish. There are other methods that can yield a harvest in less time, however I have not tried it so I may not be the best to ask. Maybe a No Mercy or Sea of Green is more what you're looking for?

StratLogic, ur off da hook with ur construction skilz, i read the grow box construction, un real and now hdyrobucket construction, dizzam. i have been slowly getting supplies for my first attempt to at my green thumb and your threads have put me over the top, i'm sold. 1 question on the system, do u ever change the size of te basket? your design was 3in basket.

Also, this CD Spool Lid (what exactly is that, lol) and how does the basket get watered, does the pump fill the cup full of water and sprew into the basket, i raise the spool lid with the ties so that its close to the basket? is that how the basket gets watered. sorry for the long post, had alot on my head lol

JCH

I forgot to post this pic of the bucket in action.
DSC00216.JPG

Wow!!!! What an amazing visual. Great fabrication too.
I wonder what science projects you entered in school. :)

ya strat that is some seriously great hydro-engineering with the adjustable bucket and waterfall effect. I love sitting around thinking about the best way to grow pot, its so fun!

Thanks JerseyCityHaz. In fact I have used a bigger basket each time. The 3 inch was too small, the plant actually pushed it through the lid and down into the cd spool lid. The opposing force from the plant pushing up into the screen was too much. It still worked but I recommend a 5.5". Right now I am using one of those lids with the basket built into it. It sucks and doesn't fit around a 5 gallon bucket like it should.

The cd spool lid I have been using is the cover on a 50 pack spool of cds. At first I adjusted the height of the basket throughout the grow but have decided that it doesn't really matter. I like to raise the bucket so about a half inch of the bottom of the basket is submerged in the water. I leave it at this level from the beginning and it works fine. If anything, do some experimenting if you're unsure and see what happens. The plant will let you know if something isn't working. And yes the pump fills the cup and spills over.

Thanks Bee23 and stewbacca6. I entered a science experiment where I set stuff on fire when I was in 5th grade and got an honorable mention. No joke. lol. They liked my presentation haha. And yeah stewbacca, I had a lot of fun building all this stuff. I was kinda disappointed when it was done because all there was left was to watch a plant grow. But then that ended being pretty fun too...and rewarding.

INTHEDES - I leave my water/air pump and on continuously. I don't use soil so I can't help you out there. But whatever you did keep doing it because it seems to be working! Soil/hydro hybrid are still a mystery to me. I would think the dirt would eventually erode into the reservoir and mess with the pumps but I guess not because I've seen a couple people doing it with much success. The best of both worlds I suppose. Do you have any pics?

INTHEDES - I leave my water/air pump and on continuously. I don't use soil so I can't help you out there. But whatever you did keep doing it because it seems to be working! Soil/hydro hybrid are still a mystery to me. I would think the dirt would eventually erode into the reservoir and mess with the pumps but I guess not because I've seen a couple people doing it with much success. The best of both worlds I suppose. Do you have any pics?

Hey Strat, on the first page of this thread you ention you were going 15 on and 15 off with the water pump. Did you optimize that to 24/7 now?

Also, would it be worthwhile having a drain hole somewhere around the bottom of the CD lid to drain the solution when/if the water pump is off?

Cheers

curlybud - The 15/15 was for my propagator, not my hydro bucket. Also, the holes in the side where to create a maximum level in the CD lid for the propagator before it started to drain and there are smaller holes in the bottom so when the pump does turn off it will still drain.

Here's a pic of the propagator CD lid.
DSC001821.JPG

In the end I don't really think this propagator is all that necessary. I just like making goofy little contraptions like this one. It does work though very well so I continue to use it every grow.
Here's the link if you're interested
Propagator Construction

What was the final weight on that harvest, I apologize if I missed it skimming through the posts.... Great job man, it's amazing how effective a cheap ass bubble bucket is, probably makes Waterfarm and other hydro system company execs a little worried us lazy ass stoners can build hydro setups for an 1/8 the price and have them be just as effective....

Thats right Brett, 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off. I found the perfect timer for that setup at Petsmart in the fish department for 8 clams. Anything more than 15 minutes could be too much. Could dry the little girls out.

this quote is from page 1 of this post, so im confused.

Back
Top Bottom