Ancient irrigation system - Cheap - Easy to use - No overwatering - Olla

So I have some progress on the Shark with olla. It seem s that the plant is preferring the side with olla as the branch close to it is bigger. That does not bother me, but I can see two smaller ollas in the pot or even 4 connected together. She is always perky and fresh, no signs of problems, the topsoil is dry as expected :) She is now at 8 tops and the topping is over now. Lightspeed ahead! :thanks: :love: :Namaste:

P10002492.JPG

P10002552.JPG

P10002564.JPG

P1000254.JPG

P10002702.JPG

P10002713.JPG

She is getting thicker and thicker!

P10003042.JPG

Thank you for your support, I love it! :love: :Namaste:

question on this method;

is the water only leaving the clay pots when the soil around it is dry?

or does it leach out slowly and will leach until empty weather the dirt is moist or not?

question on this method;

is the water only leaving the clay pots when the soil around it is dry?

or does it leach out slowly and will leach until empty weather the dirt is moist or not?

The soil is moist in the whole pot. The rate depends on how good is the soil in soaking the water. When I put my finger in the soil on the other side of the pot it is slightly sticky and not dry. When the soil is wet enough the water stays in the olla. Or when the soil is too wet and there is no water in the olla, the olla soaks that water in from the soil. It's self-balancing two way system. Hope this helps. :thumb:

I suggest you try the pots out, how much they leak when you pour little water in them. I think it would be better to test more types of pots to get the one you like, my is wet after 5 minutes, and then very wet at 7-8 (tested it for you, and me, and everyone to see). But it can be different with size and pressure and then, after all, the plant will suck so much water it won't matter that much. I think faster wouldn't hurt at the beginning. Plus I think the plant is not drinking all the time but there are like a waves. She is gonna grow so massive root ball I'm 100% sure.

I want to put two ollas for one girl, right next to the two branches after first top, in line when viewed from above. Or have them in two triangles, putting the ollas closer to the plant. I think plants are similar to us in their own ways.

Here are my points to the olla. Might think of something else I did not said.

I have come up with a concept of olla based irrigation net, that would have better surface area and not take up as much space from the pot. What do you think?

Olla_pipes_concept.jpg

I'm growing in LOS so I just brew teas and feed them from the top. There are particles in them, that could clog the olla. With water soluble nutrients there would be salt build up probably so in that case I would clean the olla with some acid. Feeding from top or foiliar. Or you can put a funnel here and there in the soil to feed and not wet the surface still. Plastic bottle upside down with cut out bottom. Hope this helped! Cheers!

Update time!
She is getting bigger and bigger, I had to supercrop her, no way she can be bent now. I can let her dry out, but that's 5+ days after the olla was full. She got haircut and bending.

P10003242.JPG

P10003221.JPG

P10003232.JPG

P10003312.JPG

Thank you for watching! :thanks: :love: :Namaste:

Hi Tomula,

Thanks for your sharing, very nice looking plant and it looks like an excellent irrigation system also :-]

I'm gonna try it for my next grow !

Hey sibannac, welcome to the forums!

Thank you man, I think it's worth a try, have fun! :thanks: :Namaste: :love:

Thanks for sharing this! I'm taking a seat and learning!

Hello dubnation! I'm trying this out and doing some brainstorming and stuff meanwhile. I really want to make a breakthrough with it on nearest expo. I got an update!

P10003502.JPG

So now 4 days later -not watered, the picture is day old- I supercropped her:

P10003655.JPG

P10003666.JPG

P10003675.JPG

Hello, so last photo is from 19th. Now I got the progress documented as of today:

P10003744.JPG

P10003934.JPG

Hi ! This lady seems to be healthy, very cool !

I bought 6 mini-terracota pot (result = 3 «ollas») with small plastic pipe which i will connect to a 5Liter plastic bottle in order to fill the ollas constantly !

I'll post some photos of this project when it'll be ready,

Thanks and keep sharing your experiment !

Hi ! This lady seems to be healthy, very cool !

I bought 6 mini-terracota pot (result = 3 «ollas») with small plastic pipe which i will connect to a 5Liter plastic bottle in order to fill the ollas constantly !

I'll post some photos of this project when it'll be ready,

Thanks and keep sharing your experiment !

That's cool man! Put the photos here, great idea. I mean it's nice to see and have place to get inspiration from. Cheers! :love: :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom