Another Noob with tons of questions

ESPLTD

Hey Everyone,

Total Noob here, this is my first grow. It took me about 3 weeks to get all the supplies I needed before I could start. During that 3 week period, I've been reading like a maniac, gobbling all knowledge possible about every stage of the plants grow cycle. So I'm not randomly posting out of laziness in not doing adequate research. After all my reading, I still have some very specific questions that I have not found the answers to yet. I've read that over-analysis is quite common amongst first time growers, but I figure I'd rather get as much info as possible for best results than stay close-mouthed. I have quite a few questions, so please bear with me in all of my Noob-ness. ><
It seems questions are best answered when OP gives a good description of their grow environment/situation. So, here's mine: I bought this light kit...

81kIQgSH6oL_SL1200_.jpg

Unfortunately my grow room is a closet with no windows or even a vent. It's about 4' x 6' with a 9' ceiling. I did buy a medium sized fan, and have it set up at the doorway to allow the space some form of ventilation. I've got a thermometer set right in the middle of where plants hopefully WILL be. I bought seeds from a reputable vendor after about a week of research on seeds alone. According to many, the most common germination method for beginners is to jump straight into a soil medium in the seeds final container(to not worry with transplanting), and let nature do it's thing. I have 2, 2 gallon pots, and some organic potting mix. I have 7 seeds, different strains, and I've only begun trying to germinate 2 of them. One strain is "Red Dragon", the other is "Wild Thailand Ryder". Hopefully, that's a good enough preface to my questions...

Lighting/temperature for germination and grow life:

When I received the light and ballast in the mail, I was honestly a little intimidated. It was quite larger than what I figured based on seeing it online. I guess I didn't pay close attention to dimensions, but hey, it's what I have now. The warnings alone on this thing were intimidating. The things warns of over-exposure to the eyes and skin and fire risks, so I'd like to know if there's any real danger here or just feedback in general regarding that. From what I've read, apparently 25-35 watts per square foot is the requirement for growing. But this thing puts out 600 watts, so I'm thinking maybe the light needs to be damn near on the ceiling?. It DOES have a 50%,75%, and 100% setting knob. Right now I have the light hovering about 6' above the pots on 50% power. This is where things get confusing for me. Everyone seems to have their own personal preference for the distance of the light from germinating seeds and from plants. Some people suggest 2 feet...some 3...etc...but I cant seem to find anyone talking about the light distance BASED ON THE WATTAGE that the light is putting out for germinating or otherwise. Collectively, everyone is saying(for germinating using the method I've chosen) to keep the soil damp but not soaked. Different opinions on lighting and heat during germination vary greatly. I planted the seeds about 4 days ago, and still no sprouts, but I understand it can take up to even 10 days for a seed to sprout so no worries there. It also seems that opinions on the distance into the soil to drop the seed vary from an inch, all the way to 3mm. I split the difference and buried them about 1/2" deep. I'd just like to make sure I'm not doing anything to hinder the seeds from springing up. I really am not sure how often I should be spraying the soil. I misted the soil right after planting them and the light dried up the surface pretty quickly and became even crusty(30-45 min), but below the soil surface it seemed to be holding moderate moisture. So do I need to make sure the top stays damp too? If the light is drying up the surface that quickly, is it too much? Is the light to close? Do i need to mist the soil 2,3,4,5 times a day? Zero times a day? Oh and I do have the light on 18/6. Also, the general consensus on prefered temperature seems to be 70-80 degrees. The coolest I've been able to get my grow room with the light on is 82. Light off, 73. Before I turned my attention to temperature regulation it reached 93 with light on and about 84 with light off. And all that is with the ballast at 50%. Problem? Not so much? Based on my setup, how would you handling lighting and distance for germination, and veg stage?

Watering/nutrients:

These questions are more for when I've got some growth going, but I'd rather try to get all these questions in now than try to post repetitively. This is another topic where growers successes and failures vary greatly. Some people say give the little bugger some nutrients as soon as it rises from the soil. Some say after the first two spiked leaves appear. Some say after you've got 2 nodes, etc...so again, with my setup, how would you handle it? Again, peoples watering systems vary greatly too. One guy even said soak the entire medium until water comes out the drain holes and then wait till its pretty much all the way dry before watering again, which could be a week or even 2. Does this seem like sound advice? Remember I'm using 2 gallon buckets. Do you have a watering/nutrient method you swear by?

Ventilation:

Like i said, I'm basically venting my grow room with a fan positioned in front of an open doorway. I've read that with poor ventilation, a grower might want to find ways to amp up the CO2, or even invest in some cooling equipment. My current situation is going to require I actually have this door closed and locked for privacy reasons for about 10 hours a day, while I'm at work. I've set up my timer to have all 6 of the "night hours" fall into this 10 hour window, but that leaves 4 hours the room is closed and unventilated with the light on. And as I said before, temp can get as high as 93(with ballast at 50%). Suggestions? is this really such a small thing where I don't have to worry about it so much?

I think that pretty much wraps up my questions. I know that there's a million variables to consider for each grower and situation, different strains, or what the grower is trying to accomplish in general. So, really any feedback from your own experiences is much appreciated. I'm also completely aware that I've overanalyzed the crap out of this, but chances are most of you vets were probably right where I am at some point. ;-) I really appreciate everyone who took the time to read my short story. Thanks a mil in advance for everyone's feedback. And also, if you can't already tell, I'm kind of a nerd. :p

~ ESP

Wphew. That was alot of reading. I'd say that, with potting soil, you probably shouldn't give them any kind of nutrients for a couple of weeks (simple and dilute compost teas would be the exception). The soil should have everything you need in it for a little while. Letting the soil dry out between waterings is a good idea too. Sometimes it takes a week or two for the first watering and then, once the plant starts to grow in vigor, the time between waterings will shorten. Watering too much is not only a good way to get root rot, but alot of people end up over fertilizing their plants too because they will feed with every watering and water 4x as much as they should.

I would also get your air flow/ventilation situation worked out. It might be a good idea to get a small fan that can fit in your closet (maybe one of those one's that clips on to something) so you can always have a fan pointed at the area directly under the light. That will disperse alot of the heat. I would think about putting a hole through the door to the closet so you could add some ventilation. I bet a four inch in-line fan and a couple feet of ducting would pull plenty hard for that size space. EDIT: If it's not your door to put a hole through, you can always get a different one at a building supply recycling center (habitat for humanity operates alot of these centers) for cheap. Replace it, and then just put the other door out of the way for a little while.

Welcome ESPLTD

To save yourself A LOT of electricity, keep your soil from crusting over and reduce your heat issues, put a couple of CFLs over your pots until the seeds sprout and even for the first couple weeks after sprouting. Seeds don't require light to sprout and you really should ensure your soil temps stay down closer to 70F for better germination rates

Is the ballast set up inside the closet? If not, consider placing outside of the closet to cut down on heat.

Back
Top Bottom