Anyone dry with all leaves still on?

pointer80

Hello all, I was curious if anyone has or does cut branches off and hang in dry room with leaves still on? The reason I am asking is my plants are ready to go and we are getting cooler temperatures and rain every other day and starting to see stuff I am not digging on a couple of plants. I normally trim off leaves before I hang in dry room but this year it’s a race against time to get them out of the weather kind of thing. Thanks all.

Hello all, I was curious if anyone has or does cut branches off and hang in dry room with leaves still on? The reason I am asking is my plants are ready to go and we are getting cooler temperatures and rain every other day and starting to see stuff I am not digging on a couple of plants. I normally trim off leaves before I hang in dry room but this year it’s a race against time to get them out of the weather kind of thing. Thanks all.
If you feel like harvesting is the right thing to do, then go for it. Give them a good wash and dry. I would trim any big fan leaves off. They are pointless to dry.

I doubt if it really makes any difference. As long as the junk is eventually removed leaving the good stuff is what's important.
Go for it.

I tried this method last harvest and wouldn't do it again. I found it much more difficult to trim the buds after they were dry with all that extra foliage still attached. I told myself never again. Now under extenuating circumstances I might but not by choice. If you can, do it before in my opinion but if you can't you can't. Get her hung up and deal with the trimming later on.

If you feel like harvesting is the right thing to do, then go for it. Give them a good wash and dry. I would trim any big fan leaves off. They are pointless to dry.
I checked the trichomes and they are 60-70% milky and with all the rain I am running into a little bud rot so I don’t have much of a choice. My Issue is I have a big crop and don’t know if I have time to trim leaves off before hanging. I am trying to get the majority of my crop in before any more mold etc. thanks

I am trying to get the majority of my crop in before any more mold etc. thanks
I experienced the same dilemma just recently. I guess I lost 30% or more of my crop this year due to having to chop early due to mold. The woe's of the outdoor grower.

I checked the trichomes and they are 60-70% milky and with all the rain I am running into a little bud rot so I don’t have much of a choice. My Issue is I have a big crop and don’t know if I have time to trim leaves off before hanging. I am trying to get the majority of my crop in before any more mold etc. thanks
Yeah...I feel you on the bud rot. NOT on the big crop. Personally, I would start chopping and wash everything. Get some big ass trash cans if you have to but wash them! Then hang them to dry as is and slowly make your way through the harvest taking out any unnecessary foliage and that should help speed up your dry too right? Then at least they are down and you've neutralized the mildew spreading. You could do a staged harvest like I did. I left any buds that were in the mid and lower canopy to keep developing.

I experienced the same dilemma just recently. I guess I lost 30% or more of my crop this year due to having to chop early due to mold. The woe's of the outdoor grower.
Same Gary. I will take 30% any day compared to the 90%+ I lost last year. I'm slowly getting better at battling it. Pests and mold are my issues. This year, I have zero doubt the @Sierra Natural Science products substantially saved a large portion of my harvest this year. Next year, I need to integrate it earlier and more consistently. I may need to add a couple other items to control the caterpillars specifically and mold better.

If you have the time and patience, I like to dry with the leaves on. It slows down the drying process by several days and puts you ahead of the game for curing. It does take a little longer to trim.
If the parameters are good, leaving them on helps them dry more evenly correct? But if the RH is too high, I've read and seen for myself that it creates a spot for mold to start. I do like the idea of drying slower. I left some of my larger leaves in my low and slow drying in the fridge. Same thought process as you mentioned Phyto.

Yes, you do have to watch for mold (though it's never happened to me), and I keep the RH up around 60%, by having a fan blow over the top of a drip pan full of water in the tent. Another way to cheaply raise RH is to get a 5 gallon bucket full of water and put an aquarium air pump and a couple of airstones in it. You definitely want to have a fan on low to keep the air moving. It delays drying by several days to a week or more, depending on plant size. I pulled a two plants a while ago, a big one and a smaller one, I trimmed and jared the smaller plant (6 oz yield) after 8 days, the larger plant is still too wet to trim after 10 days (expecting about a 12-16 oz. yield).

Same Gary. I will take 30% any day compared to the 90%+ I lost last year. I'm slowly getting better at battling it. Pests and mold are my issues. This year, I have zero doubt the @Sierra Natural Science products substantially saved a large portion of my harvest this year. Next year, I need to integrate it earlier and more consistently. I may need to add a couple other items to control the caterpillars specifically and mold better.
@BakedARea . You are right on about preparing for next year, there has been some outstanding help from a number of growers here concerning what went wrong and what can be done to correct the issue.
Sorry to hear about the 90% lost, big time "bummer".
I would have lost more but I cut early on a number of plants just to see how they turned out.
Take care and spark up

If you have the time and patience, I like to dry with the leaves on. It slows down the drying process by several days and puts you ahead of the game for curing. It does take a little longer to trim.
Any tricks to make a dry trim less difficult?

Back
Top Bottom