Auto watering

Homebrew420

420 Member
I know people may say to use a hydro system, but for my first one at least, after some time away I want the safety buffer of using soil.
Back then, I used to water not long after lights on when needed.. which was every day in the late stages, as you probably know!
I'm aware of drippers but I've always been led to believe that it's better for the plant to have a full water, then throughout the day it consumes and also as it dries allows air to the roots.
Are there any auto watering systems that can replicate this?
Ie. A full soak at a given time, then I could replenish it for the next day.. I will still tend to it but I can't be there at lights on, every day.
Thanks 👊

SIP pots work well .

Thanks guys, I'll look into the sip pots today more.
I did Google it and found a centralised gravity feed auto pot system that you still use soil/clay for which also looks tempting as I can tend to the reservoir during dark hours too. Only thing I'm not sure about it is I used to feed once a week, then water the rest.
Wondering how gunged up the system would get with the nutrition.. and I guess it'll have to be lower doses, but constantly have nutrients all the time ?

I used FloraFlex Matrix plates and pads and set up a 30 gal reservoir outside the tent. I didn't really use it as it was to be used when I left for longer periods of time so I was using 5 gal buckets for each feed.

A diaphragm pump to put out the pressure FloraFlex wants to see, 8 port drip head and 1/4" drip line.

I have a digital timer I was going to use for when I was gone but I didn't have to this time.

I had this same system working for me but without the FF matrix plates and diaphragm pump on my last grow and it worked well other than being able to water the entire media which is why I switched to the FF plates. They work great and I will be using them going forward for all my soil grows.

Green FloraFlex plates in pots before I hooked it up to the auto water system. I was hand watering waiting for a few parts that hadn't come in for the system. Even with hand watering I would recommend these plates. They work well and you can reuse them a few times.

11112023pre net.jpg

I used FloraFlex Matrix plates and pads and set up a 30 gal reservoir outside the tent. I didn't really use it as it was to be used when I left for longer periods of time so I was using 5 gal buckets for each feed.

A diaphragm pump to put out the pressure FloraFlex wants to see, 8 port drip head and 1/4" drip line.

I have a digital timer I was going to use for when I was gone but I didn't have to this time.

I had this same system working for me but without the FF matrix plates and diaphragm pump on my last grow and it worked well other than being able to water the entire media which is why I switched to the FF plates. They work great and I will be using them going forward for all my soil grows.

Green FloraFlex plates in pots before I hooked it up to the auto water system. I was hand watering waiting for a few parts that hadn't come in for the system. Even with hand watering I would recommend these plates. They work well and you can reuse them a few times.

11112023pre net.jpg
Before reading this I was just looking at the mars hydro sett up, but after having a look at this floraflex you mention I quite like the look of it, the way it spreads the watering area is good.
Do you ever have any issues of it sweating a bit under the plate and edging on being moldy, or does that disc that goes under the plate see to this?

Before reading this I was just looking at the mars hydro sett up, but after having a look at this floraflex you mention I quite like the look of it, the way it spreads the watering area is good.
Do you ever have any issues of it sweating a bit under the plate and edging on being moldy, or does that disc that goes under the plate see to this?
After I harvested and took apart the entire system I took the plates and pads outside to rinse off. The plates had a little residue from the nutrient but no mold. The pads that go underneath the plates also had no mold. It did have some of the sediment from the nutrient but other than that no mold or other weird stuff. I didn't think much of the pads at first thinking that the holes in the plate would be sufficient to spread the water over the entire top soil but after using the pads I realize they get wet evenly and release the moisture evenly over the entire soil so I'm going to continue using them. You can use the plates only but I recommend springing for the pads too.

When I was looking at these I thought that covering the soil would promote mold or some sort of weirdness but they worked great!!! One of the other things I noticed is I had no gnats. I think when you cover the soil like that it doesn't really allow gnats to get a foothold in the soil.

I will say that the system requires that you use a higher pressure pump. They want to see around 40 - 50 psi so a normal pond pump won't cut it. I found a diaphragm pump that they use for RV fresh water systems that worked perfectly and is cheap.

Thanks, that's all really good info. I have time before they are in pots big enough to accept the trays so I'll see what pumps are available here in the mean time, now I know about the pressure being relatively high I can discount alot. 👍

Thanks, that's all really good info. I have time before they are in pots big enough to accept the trays so I'll see what pumps are available here in the mean time, now I know about the pressure being relatively high I can discount alot. 👍
This is the pump I bought for the system. You can adjust the pressure so, depending on how many pots you're feeding, you can adjust it up or down.

Back
Top Bottom