BC Northern Lights Bloombox First Hydro!

My thoughts as well X. None of the branches on the lower half have the "perking up" look so they're actually resting on the t5's as you can see in the pic. I'd love to turn them on but so much foliage would be burnt, would it be stupid to trim some of those leaves? My guess for the extreme short bushy-ness is that I wasn't checking ppms properly till about a week ago and I could have been given her quite the overdose :scratchinghead:... I like what magic beans said, it's a George W lol

Well, there are different schools of thought on this, but you might want to consider removing a few of the larger fan leaves to open the plant up a little. I would do it right now if you were going to do it as the plant might not respond as well further into flower (you just started flowering recently, right?).

Otherwise, it should start to stretch itself out some in the next couple of weeks, but removing some of the fan leaves to open up space might be good. I don't usually end up pruning a lot, so maybe a good pruner can weigh in too, but that's my thought. I'd probably do it in your case. Hope that helps.

How much? anywhere up to 50%. Just what I might do. I'd start plucking and see how much that opens up - don't do more than you have to, because those larger fan leaves provide valuable energy to the plant and buds, too.

Well, there are different schools of thought on this, but you might want to consider removing a few of the larger fan leaves to open the plant up a little. I would do it right now if you were going to do it as the plant might not respond as well further into flower (you just started flowering recently, right?).

Otherwise, it should start to stretch itself out some in the next couple of weeks, but removing some of the fan leaves to open up space might be good. I don't usually end up pruning a lot, so maybe a good pruner can weigh in too, but that's my thought. I'd probably do it in your case. Hope that helps.

How much? anywhere up to 50%. Just what I might do. I'd start plucking and see how much that opens up - don't do more than you have to, because those larger fan leaves provide valuable energy to the plant and buds, too.

It's been in flower for just over a week... I think I'll go get to work :thanks:

im not a pro or anything but trimming the bottom is fairly standerd. i wouldn't cut off any of the large shade leaves just yet, your plant is going to need those for flower. once you get your t5's on the lower branches will get some light.

Hey Jamie4 nice to have you here! I've been trying to upload a pic for 2 days and it finally let me! So I got a little stoned before trimming the bottom leaves to ease the intimidation, bad idea lol. I've been seeing nice pistils pop up everywhere from this bagseed but I saw a couple of nut sacks yesterday!:rip: So I thought wth I'll just do this for practice. As you can see I had more than a sweet tooth trimming this bad boy lol
IMG_23192.JPG

It's still only 12" tall lol

Bummer about the hermie issue, Mastershuffle - I'm so sorry to hear that. Bagseed can be unpredictable, and I doubt removing those leaves caused the issue as much as maybe weak genetics that sometimes are involved with the bagseed. You just have the one plant right? Grow it out and you'll still get some nice bud, but it won't yield as well or be as potent as it would be if it wasn't a hermaphrodite.

I'd love to see you either get some good clones or good seeds and give it a go. You were off to a great start, and are obviously capable of growing nice plants in there. If you're in need of meds grow it out for practice.

If you want to minimize seeds you can try to pluck off the male parts as soon as they appear, but eventually you'll miss something and you will probably still end up with some seeds no matter what.

If you grow it out, scrub your machine out really really good to make sure there is no pollen leftover that could pollinate your next batch.

:goodluck: and positive vibes your way.

Bummer about the hermie issue, Mastershuffle - I'm so sorry to hear that. Bagseed can be unpredictable, and I doubt removing those leaves caused the issue as much as maybe weak genetics that sometimes are involved with the bagseed. You just have the one plant right? Grow it out and you'll still get some nice bud, but it won't yield as well or be as potent as it would be if it wasn't a hermaphrodite.

I'd love to see you either get some good clones or good seeds and give it a go. You were off to a great start, and are obviously capable of growing nice plants in there. If you're in need of meds grow it out for practice.

If you want to minimize seeds you can try to pluck off the male parts as soon as they appear, but eventually you'll miss something and you will probably still end up with some seeds no matter what.

If you grow it out, scrub your machine out really really good to make sure there is no pollen leftover that could pollinate your next batch.

:goodluck: and positive vibes your way.

I was thinking the same X, if I go through with this now, I can deal with these problems and parameters in the future. I just bought a big bottle of bleach to dilute and clean the walls and tubs(I see little brown spots on the bottom of my res/tub, positive it was from 75f+ res temps). I think I'm going to start a new mom today and just wait till she can give off clones what do you think X? I have to do some caulking and replace some stuff but I think that would be a solid idea. I would probably just use a 40 coco/40 perlite/20 verm but again I have no experience in this lol

I was thinking the same X, if I go through with this now, I can deal with these problems and parameters in the future. I just bought a big bottle of bleach to dilute and clean the walls and tubs(I see little brown spots on the bottom of my res/tub, positive it was from 75f+ res temps). I think I'm going to start a new mom today and just wait till she can give off clones what do you think X? I have to do some caulking and replace some stuff but I think that would be a solid idea. I would probably just use a 40 coco/40 perlite/20 verm but again I have no experience in this lol

Sounds like a great plan to me, but I don't have a good answer for you on your soilless mix. I've always done everything in hydroton with seed, and have never maintained a mother or cloned. Having said that, your plan sounds solid as far as a new mom and clones, and practicing with what you have if you need the meds.

Sounds like a great plan to me, but I don't have a good answer for you on your soilless mix. I've always done everything in hydroton with seed, and have never maintained a mother or cloned. Having said that, your plan sounds solid as far as a new mom and clones, and practicing with what you have if you need the meds.

Well, another learning experience today lol... I mixed up new solution 950 ppm, drained the tub(noticed a lot more green/brown algae all over the bottom which were clogging airstones too, but I cleaned most off with paper t) filled the tub and went on with my day...Just checked my book and it recommends the .7 conversion(same as your oakton too right?) and I was using the .5! Ugh, that means I hit them with 1400 ppm :( One day I'll know all these little tricks lol....I also just re-read your post on page 7, It'll sink in this time I swear haha

This thread can now moved to abandoned journals. I checked the roots today and they were completely infested with brown algae. I suspect this is from the warmer res temps, and numerous light leaks that penetrate the res from the hps. I cut it down and will do some more research about everything before I start again. I plan on starting 12 new seeds soonish and maintaining a mom, look for a new journal hopefully within a month. I'd also like to thank everyone for their advice, I wouldn't be determined to try this again without you guys

Ez mastershuffle, Sorry to hear about your troubles, fingers crossed you get your Bloombox up and running again soon.

Damn MS im sorry to hear that. Im glad, though, to hear that this hasnt discouraged you from continuing to grow. My suggestion: next time dont do dwc. Its not really a beginner-friendly way to go unless you know exactly what youre doing AND you are able to maintain it. Those high temperatures will get you EVERY time. If you ask me, id say try a hempy bucket or flood table, if possible. This grow has been an excellent learning experience, not just for you but for any new growers looking to begin in dwc. Good luck on your next grow and make sure you contact me with a link!

Damn MS im sorry to hear that. Im glad, though, to hear that this hasnt discouraged you from continuing to grow. My suggestion: next time dont do dwc. Its not really a beginner-friendly way to go unless you know exactly what youre doing AND you are able to maintain it. Those high temperatures will get you EVERY time. If you ask me, id say try a hempy bucket or flood table, if possible. This grow has been an excellent learning experience, not just for you but for any new growers looking to begin in dwc. Good luck on your next grow and make sure you contact me with a link!

those are great words magic beans, hopefully I can figure a good system going soon enough. I've learned more from this journal than any previous reading or videos, I really couldn't thank all you guys enough for going out of your way to help a newbie out. I will work hard, to one day blossom into a beautiful grower like you guys:thanks:

This thread can now moved to abandoned journals. I checked the roots today and they were completely infested with brown algae. I suspect this is from the warmer res temps, and numerous light leaks that penetrate the res from the hps. I cut it down and will do some more research about everything before I start again. I plan on starting 12 new seeds soonish and maintaining a mom, look for a new journal hopefully within a month. I'd also like to thank everyone for their advice, I wouldn't be determined to try this again without you guys

Hey Buddy, did u use B-52 in ur mix, that stuff turns roots brown.:peace:

I am aware of the B-52 making roots turn brown, but if you can see, there is a blob layer of brown algae :( . To prevent this from next time I will not use sensizym and h202 together, cover the res lid with white poly to block any light leaks hitting res (even though I'm using block covers!!), and will toss 3 frozen smart water bottles into res every morning. Those are all mad beginner mistakes and I won't start again till I got a solid game plan.
IMG_23213.JPG

Wow. Bummer. Couple of thoughts. I've grown a number of healthy plants in that same sort of system (BCNL box). I found Dutch Master Zone to be a really valuable additive for me as it keeps the root system healthy, and can improve your chances immensely even with a warmer res. temp. But, you need to be able to keep your temps in the 70's if possible in your system. Plug light leaks, make sure airstones are aerating well, change the nutrients weekly and consider DM Zone (or similar product if you can find one) in your reservoir. Keep everything as clean and sterile as you can. You know what to do.

You have a lot of promise at this, and had a great start. As you've discovered though, there are a lot of pitfalls. Don't lose faith in yourself or the box - trust me both are plenty capable. The ice-bottle thing is a good idea, but you can't always keep up so make sure you are thinking about things like Zone, etc., too.

:goodluck: and let me know if I can help in any other way.

Back
Top Bottom