Best grow medium?

Ace88of420

Ok every one i need your opinions, what is the best grow medium for a beginner? If soil coir, then what kind/brand? If hydroponics is best then please point me towards a good tutorial on how to make my own system, cheaply i know they can get pricey. Any ideas/opinions are welcome, reasons for your opinions are also very welcome

Ok every one i need your opinions, what is the best grow medium for a beginner? If soil coir, then what kind/brand? If hydroponics is best then please point me towards a good tutorial on how to make my own system, cheaply i know they can get pricey. Any ideas/opinions are welcome, reasons for your opinions are also very welcome
I personally think coco is the best for a beginner. You can't really water too often, and it seems to be the best of all worlds.

I think @Asesino85 would be the best person to ask about brands...he is pretty knowledgable about it.

I personally think coco is the best for a beginner. You can't really water too often, and it seems to be the best of all worlds.

I think @Asesino85 would be the best person to ask about brands...he is pretty knowledgable about it.
Thanks bonsai, what are the main drawbacks to it compared to soil? And do you ever get fungus gnats with it?

Thanks bonsai, what are the main drawbacks to it compared to soil? And do you ever get fungus gnats with it?
Yes, and you can get fungus gnats with just about any medium...... Coco requires everyday feeding/watering. That is the drawback.

If you are not committed to any system, I too highly recommend Doc Buds system as well. I've checked into it and I'm considering changing in the future.

But Docs system is not a growing medium per se, but a whole system for growing.....nutrients included.

I just did a quick search and ran across a grow journal it looked like he put up so i got a quick idea of what it is and it's definitely caught my interest. While i have no problem tending to my plants everyday, it's not alway possible for me to do so. Can one of you tell me where i can find his kits?

I just did a quick search and ran across a grow journal it looked like he put up so i got a quick idea of what it is and it's definitely caught my interest. While i have no problem tending to my plants everyday, it's not alway possible for me to do so. Can one of you tell me where i can find his kits?
Just search online for Doc Buds High Brix

It will show up as a website. Amazon also sells it.

Soil is the easiest and Doc's kit is a good way to do it but I think it requires making your own soil and letting it sit (cook) for a while right? I could be wrong there as I've never used it but I thought I picked up on that much. If you are interested in the easiest way possible it would be to go to a hydro store and get some good soil. You'll only have to feed/water every few days. Good soil comes with amendments in it so you'll have to get some nutrients but the soil should last you 3-4 weeks with just plain water. Then you can start using nutrients.

Pretty simple and in the meantime you can look into either progressing further down the soil world and get into Doc's kit or switch it up and go to something like coco which is hydro but acts a lot like soil. Other than the coco itself, the setup is pretty much the same between soil and coco. You won't need additional equipment, just the new medium so you won't really waste any money by doing a grow in soil from a hydro store.

Soil is the easiest and Doc's kit is a good way to do it but I think it requires making your own soil and letting it sit for a while right? If you are interested in the easiest way possible it would be to go to a hydro store and get some good soil. You'll only have to feed/water every few days. Good soil comes with amendments in it so you'll have to get some nutrients but the soil should last you 3-4 weeks with just plain water. Then you can start using nutrients.

Pretty simple and in the meantime you can look into either progressing further down the soil world and get into Doc's kit or switch it up and go to something like coco which is hydro but acts a lot like soil. Other than the coco itself, the setup is pretty much the same between soil and coco. You won't need additional equipment, just the new medium.
Thanks, I'm about to search for the doc's kit now. I was thinking about coco, and from what I've read on here about coco it does seem like it would be a good choice for me. But like i mentioned earlier there are days that i can't check it because of things that come up, so if it needs to be checked on every single day it might not be the best choice for me right now. At some point down the line i think it would be perfect tho

Asesino is right, the Doc soil must cook about 30 days as I remember....but don't quote me on that.....But still....it is a nice way to go.

Thanks, I'm about to search for the doc's kit now. I was thinking about coco, and from what I've read on here about coco it does seem like it would be a good choice for me. But like i mentioned earlier there are days that i can't check it because of things that come up, so if it needs to be checked on every single day it might not be the best choice for me right now. At some point down the line i think it would be perfect tho

Does not need to be checked on everyday but it does need to be watered/feed everyday. You can build a pretty basic auto feed system. @Derbybud does it this way and has a tutorial in his journal somewhere on how to build it. Plus there is a ton of good info on that all over the internet. You can make up nutes once a week in a res and pump it through some drip feeders on a timer.

I really dig coco because I like being able to change things on a dime if I want to. When you learn to read plants you can really maximize the yield especially by boosting things at the correct times. The second I see an issue I can correct it and you just can't do that in soil. However if you use a kit like Doc's you shouldn't have many problems. Soil just is a lot slower in correcting if something does go wrong. People say the quality in soil is much better but I have plenty of examples where my stuff was way better than soil growers. I've grown both ways and didn't notice much of a difference. I do think if you nail a soil go than that is the ultimate in quality though but you can have crap weed in soil too. Just like you can have outstanding weed in hydro if you know what you are doing.

So many ways to grow and you just got to choose what bests suits your needs/wants. There really is no wrong way nowadays to grow great weed.

Does not need to be checked on everyday but it does need to be watered/feed everyday. You can build a pretty basic auto feed system. @Derbybud does it this way and has a tutorial in his journal somewhere on how to build it. Plus there is a ton of good info on that all over the internet. You can make up nutes once a week in a res and pump it through some drip feeders on a timer.

I really dig coco because I like being able to change things on a dime if I want to. When you learn to read plants you can really maximize the yield especially by boosting things at the correct times. The second I see an issue I can correct it and you just can't do that in soil. However if you use a kit like Doc's you shouldn't have many problems. Soil just is a lot slower in correcting if something does go wrong. People say the quality in soil is much better but I have plenty of examples where my stuff was way better than soil growers. I've grown both ways and didn't notice much of a difference. I do think if you nail a soil go than that is the ultimate in quality though but you can have crap weed in soil too. Just like you can have outstanding weed in hydro if you know what you are doing.

So many ways to grow and you just got to choose what bests suits your needs/wants. There really is no wrong way nowadays to grow great weed.
That's why i actually put this thread up, to findthe differnt ways as well as some of the pros and cons this way i can find the right one for me. Doc's seems like an awesome was to go, he really has put a lot of time into his work with the kits. But i was hoping it was an already made, all set to go kind of kit. i think when i have the money for it i will give it a try but as for right now coco and regular soil are back to the top of the list lol. For coco, i know you can get fungus gnats, thanks to bonsai, but can they come with the coco the way they do with some soil? Or do they usually come from another source, like another infected plant?

That's why i actually put this thread up, to findthe differnt ways as well as some of the pros and cons this way i can find the right one for me. Doc's seems like an awesome was to go, he really has put a lot of time into his work with the kits. But i was hoping it was an already made, all set to go kind of kit. i think when i have the money for it i will give it a try but as for right now coco and regular soil are back to the top of the list lol. For coco, i know you can get fungus gnats, thanks to bonsai, but can they come with the coco the way they do with some soil? Or do they usually come from another source, like another infected plant?

Fungus gnats search out an area that grows fungus. They are good at it. Unfortunately, mycorrhiza is a type of fungus, so we promote something they eat. But you can put BT (mosquito dunk material) in your soil, and the larvae can't eat. It's a bacteria that prevents them from feeding, and they die. But there are other pests, like the borg (spider mites), thrip, and a few others. Spider mites are the worst....and are hard to get rid of.

Pests are a problem, but something we must learn to deal with......it is part of the growing effort.

Sorry to not have a better answer, but some things are as nature intended.

If you got some cheapo coco then maybe it could have eggs in it but even then likely not. Any standard brand shouldn't. You can get fungus gnats from anywhere really. They can come from just being in your house and finding their way into your grow area. Honestly I just put up some old school fly paper (the new age stuff sucks) right in the middle of my tent and it always keeps them at bay. The nice thing about coco is that if you get more than a few random ones than you can let things dry out, which happens pretty quickly as opposed to soil. That also helps keep gnats at bay as they like moisture. I saw far more gnats when I grew in soil though and they were much tougher to get rid of.

Bottom right of the picture is all I do for each tent. I usually switch it with a fresh one each grow but I used this one for two grows.

Fungus gnats search out an area that grows fungus. They are good at it. Unfortunately, mycorrhiza is a type of fungus, so we promote something they eat. But you can put BT (mosquito dunk material) in your soil, and the larvae can't eat. It's a bacteria that prevents them from feeding, and they die. But there are other pests, like the borg (spider mites), thrip, and a few others. Spider mites are the worst....and are hard to get rid of.

Pests are a problem, but something we must learn to deal with......it is part of the growing effort.

Sorry to not have a better answer, but some things are as nature intended.
As far as i can tell I've only had problems with fungus gnats, right now they are on my most hated list lol. I think they are the reason my 2 plants are dying/dead. Unfortunately i don't have the money needed to buy anything to take care of them and save my plants. So now I'm planning on letting things take their course here then starting fresh. As in removing all soil from the grow area and then dealing with the adults before even thinking about bringing anything in there again. I'm really hoping to find an easy to use grow medium that is less likely to have pests in it before i even start using it. But back to coco, can you still use beneficial nematodes in it? They seem effective, natural, cheap, and they deal with more than one kind of post. And as an added bonus of i bought 1 pack of them it looks like I'd be set for a few grows

If you got some cheapo coco then maybe it could have eggs in it but even then likely not. Any standard brand shouldn't. You can get fungus gnats from anywhere really. They can come from just being in your house and finding their way into your grow area. Honestly I just put up some old school fly paper (the new age stuff sucks) right in the middle of my tent and it always keeps them at bay. The nice thing about coco is that if you get more than a few random ones than you can let things dry out, which happens pretty quickly as opposed to soil. That also helps keep gnats at bay as they like moisture. I saw far more gnats when I grew in soil though and they were much tougher to get rid of.

Bottom right of the picture is all I do for each tent. I usually switch it with a fresh one each grow but I used this one for two grows.
That's not a bad idea with the strip, i plan on using beneficial nematodes if i keep growing in soil I'm just not sure if they can be used in coco. Every time i use soil indoors i have a problem with those little bastards. My one successful grow was outside and i figure i didn't have a problem with them because of the breeze blowing them away from it

I had pests with both soil and my first coco run (bottled organic ferts). I found diatomaceous earth to work with gnats and such. I had some other bugs and I released ladybugs, they are ferocious...

I switched to Hempy and maxibloom. I use aquarium gravel with about a 2" coco cap and plant in the final (small) container. I am amazed at the simplicity and my results thus far.

It'll be smokeable

I had pests with both soil and my first coco run (bottled organic ferts). I found diatomaceous earth to work with gnats and such. I had some other bugs and I released ladybugs, they are ferocious...

I switched to Hempy and maxibloom. I use aquarium gravel with about a 2" coco cap and plant in the final (small) container. I am amazed at the simplicity and my results thus far.

It'll be smokeable
Nice pictures, i was just reading about the aquarium pebbles on another page, it seems like it works just like sand i guess buti like the aquarium rock idea better 1) probably a lot easier to reuse than the sand 2) probably easier to find and cheaper than sand around here and 3) who wouldn't like to add some color to thier garden lol. As for the de i read that once it gets wet it becomes useless. And it's kinda hard to find that stuff around here unless you go to a pool supply store, but i think that's a differnt grade than what people use for thier plants

Nice pictures, i was just reading about the aquarium pebbles on another page, it seems like it works just like sand i guess buti like the aquarium rock idea better 1) probably a lot easier to reuse than the sand 2) probably easier to find and cheaper than sand around here and 3) who wouldn't like to add some color to thier garden lol. As for the de i read that once it gets wet it becomes useless. And it's kinda hard to find that stuff around here unless you go to a pool supply store, but i think that's a differnt grade than what people use for thier plants
I am using it because I have small containers and the weight really keeps the plants from flopping over. It was cheap in small quantities. Reusability.
I would use something else if I was running bigger pots, stuff is heavy. I also hand water 2x per day or they will dry out.
Good luck on your ventures

Peace

Back
Top Bottom