Bill C-45: Canada's Legalization, The Drama Revs Up

Well, I'm just gonna keep quiet, and if faced with eviction, I'll try to find a lawyer, probably through legal aid... Hopefully by then, someone else will have fought and won...

That's one of the problems with their implementation of this, nothing was said about tobacco smoking in your apartment.... I don't see how they can use the smoke free ontario law to restrict cannabis if they don't restrict tobacco as well... I doubt that will go down very well if they tried...

See, the thing is, they are "modifying" my lease, and apparently they figure they can do this by just sticking a notice on my door... Notice? What notice? Prove I got it... I'd think they would require some kind of legal notification process...

Just got a notice from the landlord (large apartment complex) saying that smoking and growing are immediately banned, unless there are "human rights code issues" where cultivation of Cannabis is deemed necessary to accommodate the needs of a tenant or occupant.

Are we covered under this "human rights code"?

I'd be very careful bringing this up with management, especially if you didn't get permission from your landlord for your grow before legalization. The application to grow your own under the ACMPR had a section requiring consent from the property owner. I called Health Canada, and the new forms are not available yet, so the ACMPR forms are still in force. If you lied on the application you could lose your grow privileges for the next ten years.

My application only asked for this if you were growing somewhere OTHER than your ordinary place of residence.

1542386358859.png

Also, did a bit of research, found this online
Policy statement on cannabis and the Human Rights Code

Policy statement on cannabis and the Human Rights Code
September 2018 - Ontario’s Human Rights Code and the Ontario Human Rights Commission’s policies apply to cannabis in the same way they do for other drugs. The Code protects people who use cannabis for a medical purpose related to a disability from discriminatory treatment in employment, housing, services and other areas. The Code also prohibits discrimination against people who have or are perceived to have an addiction to cannabis based on the ground of disability.

So, it appears we ARE covered under the human rights code exemption in the notice... at least that's MY interpretation...

Having rented out my home in the past, and having to spend over $40,000 to repair damages inflicted by my tenants, I'd insist on the following before giving my consent:

1. Tenant must provide proof of insurance covering all liability for the grow;
2. All circuits used must be converted to GFI outlets by MY licensed electrician;
3. Grow must be in an approved grow tent;
4. A smoke / gas detector must be installed in the room containing the grow tent.
5. A data logger for the room temperature, humidity, and flooding must be installed in the room containing the grow tent. The property owner must have 24/7 access to the data logger. If the room temperature exceeds 80°F, or the relative humidity exceeds 65% the tenant shall install an air conditioner or dehumidifier to control the problem. Spills and or flooding are to be cleaned up immediately by the tenant.
6. CO2 generators are expressly forbidden.
7. Use of chemical pesticides is forbidden.
8. The unit will be inspected every six months to ensure compliance. Proof of continuous insurance coverage must be provided at each inspection.

Failure to comply with these restrictions will result in the immediate revocation of your permission to grow medical marijuana in my building. This revocation will be communicated to Health Canada immediately. Growing medical marijuana without my express permission will result in eviction.

All changes required shall be made at the tenant's expense.

I just had a look at local dispensary prices on Weedmaps. It seems to me that prices there have dropped 30-40% in the 3 months since legalization. Prior to legalization most strains were $10/gm or more. Now the average price of dried flower is $7.14.

As a side note, the number of dispensaries listed has dropped dramatically, even with the addition of the government run dispensaries. The ratings for the government run dispensaries are the lowest of those listed at 1.1 and 1.6 stars.

This is pretty much what I expected. Anyone currently growing marijuana for recreational use in Nova Scotia is doing so illegally, as no seeds or clones have made their way to the licensed dispensaries. I expect to see several cases before the courts in this regard by the end of the year.

I'm curious, could they not bring them in from another Province? Or do their laws not allow that?

The story is... "well officer I grew these plants from seeds I collected from crappy government weed I have been purchasing".

The laws don't allow that. All purchases within the province must be through the provincially licensed retail outlets. You could hand carry them across provincial borders, but I haven't heard of any shipments of recreational seeds or clones to any province. Limited strains will be available, as they must be sourced from a Licensed Producer.

Crop King had seeds I wanted at $100 for 10. I'm not worried about getting busted. I started a nice outdoor grow last year in preparation for legalization.

True enough it is still 'illegal' to grow your own, but I figure the popo have enough real crime to deal with than to bust a brother with a couple little plants.

I figure once all the hubub dies down someone in Ottawa will get some sense and the 'legalization' will go away. The alternative is just too damn intrusive and insane, normal people will not stand for police state tactics. Break a door down for some plants? Give me a break. Just don't piss off your landlord!

Hi CoastRoaster I'm curious - does your tenancy agreement have any restrictive clauses about cannabis smoking and/or growing?

They are starting that here in Ottawa area. Dont know how they will enforce that - having a few plants in the house is normal.

The biggest concern (from landlord eyes) would be smell, mold, hydro circuit overload, and modifications to the house.

They sent out a notice in our building to that effect, unless you are covered by the human rights exemption (medical user). They said you have to contact them if you are growing medicinally, I chose not to... just gonna stay quiet. The maintenance guy knows it's here, he won't say anything, I don't think anyone else cares. If management comes and says anything, then I'm just gonna say I didn't feel comfortable sharing my medical history with them, and that I don't consider a notice pinned to my door where I may or may not get it as a change to my lease....

I'm in a strata and there is nothing in our policy that speaks to this at all.

I don't plan on growing indoors as I know it would smell. I looked into a tent and could possibly put it into the garage but when I added all the costs up including lights etc it was close to $1500. I don't imbibe much and as much as I'd love to grow my own it probably doesn't make economic sense.

Sadly the dispensaries price is still high and there is no volume discount. I like sampling small amounts of all different kinds of strains, so growing my own isn't a great option either from that perspective.

I'm in a strata and there is nothing in our policy that speaks to this at all.

I don't plan on growing indoors as I know it would smell. I looked into a tent and could possibly put it into the garage but when I added all the costs up including lights etc it was close to $1500. I don't imbibe much and as much as I'd love to grow my own it probably doesn't make economic sense.

Sadly the dispensaries price is still high and there is no volume discount. I like sampling small amounts of all different kinds of strains, so growing my own isn't a great option either from that perspective.
I don’t know man, I see plenty of people growing with less than $50 worth of equipment.

Yeah I once grew some plants in a closet back at school....1987... one light....they grew like shit and didn't even flower before I had to turf them. I could probably build something that would hold together but it probably wouldn't be air tight. If it were just me I would grow them like houseplants, seriously!

Lame excuses all. It's not the money as such anyway. Can't take a week off with nobody to tend them. Maybe I'll change my mind. The old lady, she tolerant but not that tolerant :reading420magazine::battingeyelashes:

Back
Top Bottom